Two day midweek umbrella ban and no food as Pattaya beaches "returned to tourists"

webfact

Two day midweek umbrella ban and no food as Pattaya beaches "returned to tourists"

4pm.jpg

Picture: Pattaya News

PATTAYA: - New proposals being made at Pattaya town hall will see umbrella and seating operators further restricted and a total ban on selling food on the beach.

Pattaya authorities have said that the moves are designed to return the beaches in Pattaya and Jomtien to tourists and improve cleanliness, reported Pattaya News.

In a swathe of new measures proposed yesterday the town hall said that:

1. All 118 operators of umbrellas and seating would in future be more limited to where they can operate. The size of their plots will be increased slightly but they will only be allowed to have one each.

2. There will be a "drawing of straws" each year to decide who gets to set up in which location. This will be held just once annually.

3. No one will be allowed to operate on Wednesday or Thursday of every week. Operators must pack up their umbrellas and seating on Tuesday evenings so that the local authority can mount a cleaning exercise.

4. Operators will be forbidden from serving any food. tables to eat on will not be allowed to be set up.

The recommendations will now be discussed at a larger committee of the council, reported Pattaya News.

Source: Pattaya News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-04-06

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, webfact said:

Operators must pack up their umbrellas and seating on Tuesday evenings so that the local authority can mount a cleaning exercise

They should be made to remove them completely IMO.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

. Operators will be forbidden from serving any food. tables to eat on will not be allowed to be set up.

what a totally ridiculous idea !!!     :post-4641-1156693976:

Edited by johng

24 minutes ago, johng said:

what totally ridiculous idea !!!     :post-4641-1156693976:

Agree. Don't see this as an improvement. I don't go to the beach that often anymore, but if I did I would only do it when there were beach chairs and food & drink, etc available.

Edited by Suradit69

Things for the visitor to do in Pattaya on Wednesdays and Thursdays....

1)  Sit on the beach where there is virtually no shade and get fried

2)  Walk aimlessly around shopping malls

3)  Sit in a bar and get drunk

4)  Sit in the hotel room

Is there anything else you can do in Pattaya?

This is all a result of the total piss taking

of vendors in the past.,

Could you sit on the beach for more than 30 seconds

with out some fool tapping you on the shoulder to buy a Tattoo,  or prawns,

a hat,  sunglasses,  massage,  ice cream,  eggs, and so on.

You screwed it up vendors,    tough luck boys. :thumbsup:

I am starting to like some of the changes that are being made.

Good job  :jap:

8 minutes ago, CliffH said:

Buy an umbrella.  ??

24 minutes ago, CliffH said:

The few shady areas on the beach are always full of packed up umbrellas and seating. :dry:

15 minutes ago, onemorechang said:

Could you sit on the beach for more than 30 seconds

with out some fool tapping you on the shoulder to buy a Tattoo,  or prawns,

a hat,  sunglasses,  massage,  ice cream,  eggs, and so on.

You could in parts of Jomtien beach... not Pattaya beach though.

This is just crazy. If I go to the beach I want to be under an umbrella. Who wants skin cancer. The number of people selling on the beach and what they sell should be restricted. And how about a total ban on anyone selling junk on the streets past 5pm.Now that would be a great move. Imagine sitting in a bar on Beach Road and not getting hassled to buy a watch, a video, a knife, a whatever every 2 minutes so you can relax. These guys do more harm to tourism in one night than a beach umbrella will do in a lifetime. Removing shade is removing duty of care for the people wanting to sit on the beach.

5 minutes ago, Toshiba66 said:
  5 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Now all they need to do is get rid of the jet Skis and Motor boats and get the water looking some colour other than sh1tty brown.

5 minutes ago, Toshiba66 said:

The Jet skies and Motor Boats don't make it brown.

I never said the Jet Skis and Boats made the water brown. That comes from all the garbage and sewage.

Jet skis and boats only leave that oily film on top, from the diesel, that makes your skin itch.

This is a crazy idea and hits Thais who are just trying to make a living. Kick people enough and they will eventually start kicking back. The current Wednesday ban is wrong and adding another day is bewildering. Having a beach resort and discouraging people from using it is nonsensical.

1 hour ago, CliffH said:

Yes.

29 minutes ago, Toshiba66 said:

This is just crazy. If I go to the beach I want to be under an umbrella. Who wants skin cancer. The number of people selling on the beach and what they sell should be restricted. And how about a total ban on anyone selling junk on the streets past 5pm.Now that would be a great move. Imagine sitting in a bar on Beach Road and not getting hassled to buy a watch, a video, a knife, a whatever every 2 minutes so you can relax. These guys do more harm to tourism in one night than a beach umbrella will do in a lifetime. Removing shade is removing duty of care for the people wanting to sit on the beach.

I admire the vendors for "trying to earn a buck."  They're just trying to survive.  A smile and no thank you usually does the trick.

Just now, billrose said:

I thought April fool's day was last week!

Pattaya is dying, and this will only make it's demise come sooner.

These people are generally quite poor with a low education.  They are just trying to earn a living.  Pattaya will be here long after you and I are gone.

35 minutes ago, Toshiba66 said:

I don't agree with vendors being restricted. "Miaow krab" (no thanks) and off they go. It is their country when all is said and done.

All you people cheering no this nonsense try using your brains....

Pattayas sea water is so polluted thats is almost unswimmable

Most of the trees have been cut down and now there is very little

shade..

Without the beach umbrellas the beach is almost unusable...
The umbrellas and beach chairs are Pattaya beaches only redeaming

feature....

The food vendors are a convenience to all people spending a day at

the beach...

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Operators must pack up their umbrellas and seating on Tuesday evenings so that the local authority can mount a cleaning exercise.

I want to see that cleaning exercise myself , every Tuesday .  Last year I've been cleaning up the beaches in Jomtien , I did it to get exercise . I want to see this "exercise" happening.

Makes you wonder if anyones at home...

Pleasure for myself and wife to go to Pattaya for a weeks vacation, check into a Jomtien hotel, walk across the street, plop our butts down in a chair under an umbrella, pay our 100 baht, order drinks, food, desserts, from the vendors, plus a roll of toilet paper from a young girl, sit and relax the day away, shaded, eating, enjoying the sea breeze. None of that swimming stuff for us...

Many, many days have been "wasted" that way, thoroughly enjoyed. We will not, and do not, go to Jomtien when the beaches are uhm... given back to the tourists...

Just my two cents.   

13 minutes ago, champers said:

I don't agree with vendors being restricted. "Miaow krab" (no thanks) and off they go. It is their country when all is said and done.

It is their country. But I am only referring to the ones annoying you every 2 minutes at night. That would also stop the 6 year old kids from selling things at 1am in the morning. I don't see that being good for tourism.

4 minutes ago, balo said:

I want to see that cleaning exercise myself , every Tuesday .  Last year I've been cleaning up the beaches in Jomtien , I did it to get exercise . I want to see this "exercise" happening.

Ok no chairs on Wednesdays fair enough..A day for cleaning...

I have yet to see myself any major cleaning operations on

Wednesdays.....Another day will not make a bit of difference... 

1 minute ago, fforest1 said:

I have yet to see myself any major cleaning operations

Never happened before so it will be big news if they actually do it.   I think they did the same in Krabi with weekly cleaning and it worked there so who knows.