Pick-up seating ban a slap in the face for Thailand's poor!

webfact

And how many of those secondhand pickups are on finance as are most scooters  You assume too much.    

Many have been bought off the back of a mortgage against the 'Farm Rai'  most of which have little or no chance of repayment.

It is an unfortunate fact that most laws made for the public good by well off; well intentioned politicians have the opposite effect.

And the rejoinder to that............... Well it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Edited by oyster

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/6/2017 at 4:24 PM, selftaopath said:

Songthaews used extensively to transport individuals for a fee are frequently packed with people. I've seen so many crammed in that it was body to body i.e. standing , sitting, hanging off the back step etc. Is there a safety law for these - for profit -  privetely owned/operated vehicles?  They are a hazard to passengers and also on the roads as the drivers act like they own all thoroughfares.

Baht Buses get away with all these very bad habits due mostly to their owners, police, who then rent them out to individual drivers, one can't cut off their source of income can one !!!!

18 hours ago, khunPer said:

Bus and train, even if low costs, are not really the alternative for the poorer people, as they often bring numerous belongings and still need transport from train-station or bus-terminal to their rural village; and finding someone to drive from station or terminal to village at an affordable cost, relative to people with little money, can be almost impossible. The shared pick-up van would drive around the various villages and let folks off at their homes, together with their transported stuff that can be more than just easily taken by train or bus...

Improvement of safety could also be speed, and car conditions (especially tires and brakes), and fatigue level for drivers – may improve safety more than limiting to six passengers only in the pick-up bed...

You are 100% correct Khun Per. A pity some of the his posters on TV had any kind of inkling or empathy with the real Thailand as against their closeted existence in their gated Moo bahns whilst driving around in their Beemer or mercs  

Lol... some of y'all live in a dream world.

there is a very good reason why riding in the back of a pick up is illegal.... it's not an arbitrary " let's screw with the masses" thing, and it is so obvious that it should not need explaining or debating.

that said, this in no way excuses all the other crazy actions or practices, that should also be acted upon, in the interest of public safety... that's the safety of the people, by their government, who have a duty to protect the citizenry, even if its unpopular

saying this does not mean I lack empathy... what a stupid thought that is, and I will also continue to cringe at the carnage, whilst hoping that this one step in the right direction, is but one of many steps to drag down the road fatality statistics that are a preventable tragedy in Thailand... preventable by enforcing these sorts of laws

they have to start somewhere, and it seems that here is where they have chosen to do it... so well done Thailand... i hope they don't pussy out and drop this initiative ( though I expect they will, unfortunately)

8 minutes ago, farcanell said:

there is a very good reason why riding in the back of a pick up is illegal.... it's not an arbitrary " let's screw with the masses" thing, and it is so obvious that it should not need explaining or debating.

that said, this in no way excuses all the other crazy actions or practices, that should also be acted upon, in the interest of public safety... that's the safety of the people, by their government, who have a duty to protect the citizenry, even if its unpopular

saying this does not mean I lack empathy... what a stupid thought that is, and I will also continue to cringe at the carnage, whilst hoping that this one step in the right direction, is but one of many steps to drag down the road fatality statistics that are a preventable tragedy in Thailand... preventable by enforcing these sorts of laws

they have to start somewhere, and it seems that here is where they have chosen to do it... so well done Thailand... i hope they don't pussy out and drop this initiative ( though I expect they will, unfortunately)

Someone said there are 6 states in the good ole USA where it is not illegal to sit in the back of a pick-up.

A pick-up is a wonderfully convenient way to transport several members of the family/friends around. I love driving out to Nong Khai with the family late afternoon. Go for a stroll along the promenade and then  have dinner  and a few beers near the river.The teetotal son-in-law can drive back whilst I sit in the back with the family admiring the stars. 

29 minutes ago, farcanell said:

You want to start somewhere with a massive reduction, ban all motorbikes seeing as they account for something like 80% of the road death tally - see its simple, isn't it? 

On 06/04/2017 at 4:36 PM, Artisi said:

An interesting statistic would be the total number of deaths resulting from pick-up accidents compared to buses, vans and taxis, would think pick-ups would be well down the list. 

But as usual,  the powers that be shoot off mouth before putting brain in gear thinking what appears as a simple fix will cure all the road deaths - how about drink drive, speed, stupidity, not road worthy etc. 

But it would be a start.

25 minutes ago, recom273 said:

But it would be a start.

Sure it's a start, but not particularly well thought out in  becoming effective in the short term due to the massive upheaval to so many people. 

49 minutes ago, Artisi said:

You want to start somewhere with a massive reduction, ban all motorbikes seeing as they account for something like 80% of the road death tally - see its simple, isn't it? 

No problems... stage your own coup, and start there.

Hell, start anywhere.... just start.

the general has picked his own starting point, so it's all good, right?

just do something... anything... as doing nothing is plainly not working.

you know this

36 minutes ago, farcanell said:

No problems... stage your own coup, and start there.

Hell, start anywhere.... just start.

the general has picked his own starting point, so it's all good, right?

just do something... anything... as doing nothing is plainly not working.

you know this

Your right of course, doing nothing achieves nothing, how about enforcing  the simple rules first, drink driving, speeding, licences, and getting the BIB off their collective <deleted> and applying the rules. 

Edited by Artisi

2 hours ago, bannork said:

Someone said there are 6 states in the good ole USA where it is not illegal to sit in the back of a pick-up.

A pick-up is a wonderfully convenient way to transport several members of the family/friends around. I love driving out to Nong Khai with the family late afternoon. Go for a stroll along the promenade and then  have dinner  and a few beers near the river.The teetotal son-in-law can drive back whilst I sit in the back with the family admiring the stars. 

Don't know where you were brought up but it was always explained to us that if you would like people to improve themselves then you should set an example yourself.   You riding in the back of a pick-up suggests that leading by example is not one of your strong points,  rather encouraging further unsafe practices.

Having said that it is admirable that you have a non drinking family member who drives you home after having a drink, that is a good example.

2 minutes ago, whatawonderfulday said:

Don't know where you were brought up but it was always explained to us that if you would like people to improve themselves then you should set an example yourself.   You riding in the back of a pick-up suggests that leading by example is not one of your strong points,  rather encouraging further unsafe practices.

Having said that it is admirable that you have a non drinking family member who drives you home after having a drink, that is a good example.

I blame it on my upbringing , I wouldn't say my early years were hard but I was born on probation and used to get up in the morning before I went to bed at night.

Never mind, what a wonderful day it has been The weather really hasn't been too hot for this time of year. 

Cheers!

They only have themselves to blame for this the enforcement of this law, if most of them would actually obey traffic rules n drive safely, no laws would need to be enforced. 

As much as i can understand the versatility of a pickup, they got themselves in this predicament.