A pickup can carry no more than six passengers on its back: Government spokesman

webfact

A pickup can carry no more than six passengers on its back: Government spokesman

0604003.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Passengers can sit in the cab of a pickup truck and no more than six passengers can ride on the back of the same vehicle as the government has agreed to ease the seat belt regulation during the Songkran festival in order not to cause too much trouble to the public who are not ready to adjust to the new measure.

Government spokesman Lt-Gen Sansern Kaewkamnerd, however, said that the reprieve would be temporary in order to give more time for public to make adjustments. He insisted that the regulation would be strictly enforced for public safety.

As for private cars, the spokesman said police would strictly enforce the seat belt regulation requiring the driver and all passengers to fasten seat belts. However, during the initial stage, he said police might give a warning if any of the passengers were found to not fasten a seat belt.

The regulation will be strictly applied to taxis, passenger vans and inter-provincial buses.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pickup-can-carry-no-six-passengers-back-government-spokesman/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-04-06

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will come as an awful inconvenience to many local builders in Chiang Mai, who regularly carry a dozen or more workers home, sitting on planks across the back of a pick-up.

I've also seen village-outings, up in Doi Mae Salong, where 20+ colourful tribal people would be standing in-the-back of a pick-up, en-route to some social-event or another.

And where will they fit the seat-belts, for the cargo-loaders, who sit on-top-of a fully-loaded/overloaded truck, where they can enjoy the breeze as the truck rushes along ?  Or sitting on the tail-gate, making sure that the load doesn't shift, or even fall off !

Perhaps a useful interim-measure might be, to enforce the wearing of a seat-belt, for both the driver & the passenger in front-seats inside a car/pick-up ?

2 minutes ago, AGareth2 said:

instead of buying subs why not recall all pickups and fit the safety measures as a govt scheme

Insufficient personal gain for the boys in that scheme 

14 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

This will come as an awful inconvenience to many local builders in Chiang Mai, who regularly carry a dozen or more workers home, sitting on planks across the back of a pick-up.

I've also seen village-outings, up in Doi Mae Salong, where 20+ colourful tribal people would be standing in-the-back of a pick-up, en-route to some social-event or another.

And where will they fit the seat-belts, for the cargo-loaders, who sit on-top-of a fully-loaded/overloaded truck, where they can enjoy the breeze as the truck rushes along ?  Or sitting on the tail-gate, making sure that the load doesn't shift, or even fall off !

Perhaps a useful interim-measure might be, to enforce the wearing of a seat-belt, for both the driver & the passenger in front-seats inside a car/pick-up ?

No inconvenience. Most wont take any notice, the cops cant be bothered and most cant count, unless it is the Baht.

16 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

Tough titties I'm afraid. As much as I don't like to see too much change here, it was inevitable pickups would be targetted and quite rightly. What it will do is bump up prices for certain things, such as with construction labourers, where allowances will have to be made for their transport. In reality, palms will get greased to let it carry on for stuff like that.

Edited by daveAustin

Well so far the pickuplaws which will be strictly enforced (of course).

What about all the far more dangerous things on thai roads?? Let's start with driving against traffic and not using indicators.

Edited by fruitman

37 minutes ago, Reigntax said:

No inconvenience. Most wont take any notice, the cops cant be bothered and most cant count, unless it is the Baht.

It's easier for them to atop 1000 bikes than it is 1 big truck who wouldn't stop for them to begin with.

This is such b*llocks. It's illegal to not wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle. It's illegal to ride on a pavement. And I'm sure there's something in Thai motoring law which prohibits someone driving the wrong way on a road. How long before this piece of legislation is flouted? I have seen so many pick ups packed with workers. You're telling me that every time a cop sees a pick-up he's gonna stop and fine them? And don't get me started on the seat-belt law. Relaxing it during Songkran? When the death rate on roads as at its highest. What good is that? Aside from the fact that most vehicles in Thailand are tinted so much that no-one can even see into a vehicle let alone an officer trying to enforce the law.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Only six passengers allowed in cargo bed of pickups during Songkran

By Natthapat Phromkaew

The Nation

e2df4a8e7a1ecbad052ab338539d0ffd-sld.jpeg

While the government waits for full enforcement of new strict traffic safety laws, it says that no more than six passengers will be allowed to ride in the cargo bed of pickup trucks during the Songkran period.

However, police say there will be immediate safety checks and fines for any drivers or passengers found not wearing seat belts.

Government spokesman Lieutenant General Sansern Kaewkamnerd on Thursday insisted that officers will get tough on drunk drivers, speeding motorists or reckless drivers.

Sansern, who pointed out that Thailand was among the countries with the most road fatalities, urged the public to understand that the government’s true intention in enforcement is to prevent the loss of lives and property in road accidents. 

The government did not want to create difficulties for the public but road safety measures must be in place, he said. 

The government originally planned to enforce strict new laws that would ban all passengers from riding in the cargo bed of pickup trucks and also behind the driver’s seat in extended cab pickup trucks.

But following opposition and considering that people were not given time to prepare for the new regulations – made under the interim charter’s all-powerful Article 44 – the government decided to pull back on the timing. The postponement regarding a complete ban on passengers riding in the cargo bed of pickups, was made to give officials time to explain the new regulations to people involved. 

He said police officers would still check, arrest and fine front-seat drivers and passengers who failed to wear seat belts, while they would issue warnings to passengers in the back seat of private vehicles.

However, all passengers on public transport vehicles such as vans, taxis and inter-province buses (Bangkok city buses are exempt) must wear seatbelts. 

Up to six passengers riding in pickup truck’s cargo bed will be permitted, but they must not sit on the edge or the truck’s tail gate.

Sansern also quoted the premier as instructing police officers to perform duties with honesty and integrity without accepting bribes.

Since Wednesday, police across the country have been fining commuters and passengers between Bt100 to Bt500 for violating the new regulations which prohibited passengers from riding in the cargo bed or extended cab space of pickup trucks, and required all passengers travelling in a vehicle to wear a seatbelt. 

Thailand is one of a few places in the world where the pickup truck is used to carry everything from farm products to passengers in urban and rural areas. 

The most popular type of pickup truck in Thailand is the extended cab, where a few passengers can sit on bench seats behind the driving seat. However, there are no seat belts in the extended space, which is a contravention of the new regulations.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30311524

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-4-6

15 hours ago, whatawonderfulday said:

So that means the government accepts that up to 6 people dead when thrown from a pick up is socially acceptable in Thailand ?

ok i dont agree on a safety issue with people in the back of pick ups but this is Thailand and its their country and their people. many thais are poor and can barley afford to make ends meet, you have the worker taking his workers to work how will they get to work if there only being paid 3/400 baht a day it could cost almost that to get to there job and back. this is Thailand and we all came here and enjoyed the relaxed rules for years i say if they Thai people want and need to carry people in their pick ups let them do so. the Thai government should listen to what the Thai people want for a change let them carry on.  i think it will only cause Thailand more problems if this law is enforced. 

Edited by catman20

15 hours ago, whatawonderfulday said:

So that means the government accepts that up to 6 people dead when thrown from a pick up is socially acceptable in Thailand ?

Only for the Songkran period though.

It's been illegal for many, many years. Just not enforced. Every now and again there would be a crackdown. Sitting in the back is a way of life here. Unfortunately, many drivers of these pickups drive like maniacs with or without people sitting in the back. What's really needed is to change this idiotic behaviour/mentality of Thai drivers. 

cargo.jpg.32d8a82cf3121d01c9b6df551d271dab.jpg

This happy couple sitting in the back of this truck with their small child, will suffer massive head injuries and/or death if and when the driver brakes hard. They will be thrown forward against the back of the cab or worse still, they will be ejected over the top of the cab if there is enough speed involved. At least they should be sitting with backs to the cab to have some chance. Most drivers of pickups loaded with human cargo fail to drive with the safety of their cargo in mind.

In the UK, and possibly in a few other European countries, we have a thing called the British standard, the kite mark.I do not know if there is a 'Thai Standard here.

The British Standard gives every item a number which is the standard.For instance.Crash helmet, say, BS 55772233. construction hat, say BS 333222666.

i have seen so may Thai people driving Motor Cycles, wearing a construction hat. I know that both items are for protection of the head and would bear a standard number. But here, the construction hats look very weak and are only purchased for show, as i am sure they aren't that protective.Bearing this in mind, is it permissible for a guy wearing a construction hat to pass as a guy who wears a crash helmet?

Edited by Khon Kaen Dave
misspelling

17 hours ago, whatawonderfulday said:

Only for Songkran.

Maybe the government should provide free bus travel during Songkran.

I would never ride in the back of a pickup or in a ten seater , but Thaïs are now angry on a law that will save lives if enforced.

Next up! motor bike enforcement laws which will cause an uproar to Thais as they wont be able to take their children to school, when I pick my son up from school I have to be careful walking back from the entrance to my car as the people rushing to get out on bikes will run me over and my son, me first attitude is shocking.

16 hours ago, fruitman said:

Well so far the pickuplaws which will be strictly enforced (of course).

What about all the far more dangerous things on thai roads?? Let's start with driving against traffic and not using indicators.

What about ensuring vehicles and motorcycles have working lights back AND front???

currently seems to me that red lights to the rear of a vehicle/motorcycle is optional...

5 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

In the UK, and possibly in a few other European countries, we have a thing called the British standard, the kite mark.I do not know if there is a 'Thai Standard here.

The British Standard gives every item a number which is the standard.For instance.Crash helmet, say, BS 55772233. construction hat, say BS 333222666.

i have seen so may Thai people driving Motor Cycles, wearing a construction hat. I know that both items are for protection of the head and would bear a standard number. But here, the construction hats look very weak and are only purchased for show, as i am sure they aren't that protective.Bearing this in mind, is it permissible for a guy wearing a construction hat to pass as a guy who wears a crash helmet?

I Believe  they have  the Coconut standard here.

its totally universal and serves all,   for what ever excuse is needed.

The Double coconut standard,   is for the Hi-So people.

its a bit like a gold card,  don't worry about a thing.

just get the dosh out,    all will be fine :jap:

coconut.jpg

Edited by onemorechang