A pickup can carry no more than six passengers on its back: Government spokesman

webfact

1 hour ago, Keesters said:

Ban the >=4 wheel vehicles that keep on running into them. Put everyone on motorbikes and there would be almost no accidents. You're only seeing the effect not the cause.

Plenty of total idiots on bikes often riding the wrong direction etc. They are to blame for many of the accidents with 4 wheels. I agree partly with you.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Bundaberg Baxter said:

Lady round the corner let her 3 year old play at the front of pickup car, until she had to brake hard and he smashed into the windscreen which cracked. Comes back with new windscreen and lesson learned? of course not he still does it, sometimes he does sit on her knee while she is driving and using the phone though. She bought a baby seat then never strapped the baby in it, too many Thais have zero concept of health an safety, they think nothing they do affects their chances of injury or death that being set in karma or up to Buddha.

maktab

Hilarious reading all these farang know it all safety messages. A group of a few thousand high horse riding retirees telling a population of 70 million to abide by the law and tough shit if you are poor lol. We have these laws in our better country so you must have it in yours! Hilarious. At what age do farangs suddenly own a high horse? I hope I never get to that age.

I like the free for all attitude on the roads here actually. It makes you really alert all the time that at any point any <deleted> can cut you up or pull out for no reason. I've never been more alert riding and driving than in thailand and never been close to an accident because I'm always on high alert. If the locals want to weigh up the risks and ride with workers and family in the back then let them do it. If they don't want to wear a smelly crash helmet for a 5 minute ride then let them do it. If they want to ride slowly going the wrong way then let them do it. The good thing is we can also do this when it's convenient to do so. But no! We mustn't, breaking the law is bad and we will die lol. Muppets.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

13 minutes ago, reenatinnakor said:

Hilarious reading all these farang know it all safety messages. A group of a few thousand high horse riding retirees telling a population of 70 million to abide by the law and tough shit if you are poor lol. We have these laws in our better country so you must have it in yours! Hilarious. At what age do farangs suddenly own a high horse? I hope I never get to that age.

I like the free for all attitude on the roads here actually. It makes you really alert all the time that at any point any <deleted> can cut you up or pull out for no reason. I've never been more alert riding and driving than in thailand and never been close to an accident because I'm always on high alert. If the locals want to weigh up the risks and ride with workers and family in the back then let them do it. If they don't want to wear a smelly crash helmet for a 5 minute ride then let them do it. If they want to ride slowly going the wrong way then let them do it. The good thing is we can also do this when it's convenient to do so. But no! We mustn't, breaking the law is bad and we will die lol. Muppets.

A lot of exaggeration, but also a certain amount of truth.

On 04/07/2017 at 7:39 AM, catman20 said:

ok i dont agree on a safety issue with people in the back of pick ups but this is Thailand and its their country and their people. many thais are poor and can barley afford to make ends meet, you have the worker taking his workers to work how will they get to work if there only being paid 3/400 baht a day it could cost almost that to get to there job and back. this is Thailand and we all came here and enjoyed the relaxed rules for years i say if they Thai people want and need to carry people in their pick ups let them do so. the Thai government should listen to what the Thai people want for a change let them carry on.  i think it will only cause Thailand more problems if this law is enforced. 

It's true. This is the beginning of the nanny state, and it only escalates from here. The number of regulations imposed by the state "to protect us " never decreases,  it always gets worse as the regulatory bodies seek to justify their existence, and taxes to support them, well beyond the scope of reason. Catman is right about why I came here, or at least why I'm staying.

Ever since I came here I have been telling people back home that the Thai people live and carry on as if they are free, whereas in the USA we all well know that we are not free and getting less free every day.

Recently riding my motorbike on the back roads here bereft of billboards,  signage, traffic lights, fences, construction work and workers, vehicles beyond counting, and of course scores of cameras and cops, I reflected on how contagious the feeling of freedom can be.

I'm actually beginning to think that I too am free to live my life as I see fit, here are least.   That is a freedom that died in most western nations decades ago.

Hell, I've been driving without a motorcycle license for nearly 6 months now. Pretty cheeky huh? I do wear a real helmet, Bell Industries, that I brought from The States,  but I still reserve the right to kill myself if I want. I'll get a license soon since I have a valid driver license it's simple here.

Taking calculated risks is part of being free. Sometimes you lose. But as one of my forgotten countrymen once said: "Give me Liberty or give me Death"  Was he wrong? It is possible for the spirit to die too remember. Then what is a safe life really worth?

Every time you get out of bed you are risking your life AND, your actions risk the lives of others.   Don't the Thai people have the right to make that choice too? Is traveling in the back of a truck in Thailand really more dangerous than commuting to work every morning and night on interstate I-25 in Denver at 80mph with loads of semi trailer trucks mere inches away? I did it for ten years and I think not. BTW, in Denver what is  ejected from a wrecked pickup truck is not soft bodies but snowmobiles, motorcycles, jetskiis, camper shells, three wheelers, multiple bicycles ,  and sundry camping gear. Much more hazardous than bodies to many more people also traveling at 80mph or higher.

We pay a "Yuge" price in liberty for every tiny bit of security the govmint imposes on us. Don't be in such a hurry to make this country like the ones you have all fled from. In my opinion it's really not worth the price to do so.

You pays your money and you takes your chances. I for one hope that Thailand takes several decades or more to become 'safe and totally secure'. Hopefully I'll be dead at that point one way or another.

That's my story and in stickin to it!

Let the protests for universal safety begin, but be careful what you wish for.

As for me, I'll take my chances. For me it's a valid tradeoff. If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen!

28 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

It's true. This is the beginning of the nanny state, and it only escalates from here. The number of regulations imposed by the state "to protect us " never decreases,  it always gets worse as the regulatory bodies seek to justify their existence, and taxes to support them, well beyond the scope of reason. Catman is right about why I came here, or at least why I'm staying.

Ever since I came here I have been telling people back home that the Thai people live and carry on as if they are free, whereas in the USA we all well know that we are not free and getting less free every day.

Recently riding my motorbike on the back roads here bereft of billboards,  signage, traffic lights, fences, construction work and workers, vehicles beyond counting, and of course scores of cameras and cops, I reflected on how contagious the feeling of freedom can be.

I'm actually beginning to think that I too am free to live my life as I see fit, here are least.   That is a freedom that died in most western nations decades ago.

Hell, I've been driving without a motorcycle license for nearly 6 months now. Pretty cheeky huh? I do wear a real helmet, Bell Industries, that I brought from The States,  but I still reserve the right to kill myself if I want. I'll get a license soon since I have a valid driver license it's simple here.

Taking calculated risks is part of being free. Sometimes you lose. But as one of my forgotten countrymen once said: "Give me Liberty or give me Death"  Was he wrong? It is possible for the spirit to die too remember. Then what is a safe life really worth?

Every time you get out of bed you are risking your life AND, your actions risk the lives of others.   Don't the Thai people have the right to make that choice too? Is traveling in the back of a truck in Thailand really more dangerous than commuting to work every morning and night on interstate I-25 in Denver at 80mph with loads of semi trailer trucks mere inches away? I did it for ten years and I think not. BTW, in Denver what is  ejected from a wrecked pickup truck is not soft bodies but snowmobiles, motorcycles, jetskiis, camper shells, three wheelers, multiple bicycles ,  and sundry camping gear. Much more hazardous than bodies to many more people also traveling at 80mph or higher.

We pay a "Yuge" price in liberty for every tiny bit of security the govmint imposes on us. Don't be in such a hurry to make this country like the ones you have all fled from. In my opinion it's really not worth the price to do so.

You pays your money and you takes your chances. I for one hope that Thailand takes several decades or more to become 'safe and totally secure'. Hopefully I'll be dead at that point one way or another.

As for me, I'll take my chances. For me it's a valid tradeoff. If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen!

Couldn't agree more with the third sentence in the above post.

Western management build their 'empires' by coming up with ever more rules - endorsed by those also busy 'empire building'.

Hence the huge increase in government and local authority administration staff - as pointless new rules and regulations are introduced requiring new administration staff to administer said pointless rules/regulations....

Needless to say they're all 'for the sake of safety/improve financial protocols' - but truth be told, most of them are nothing of the sort, just pure empire building.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 1:38 PM, RocketDog said:

As they say "government creates the problem" then it "creates the solution to the problem" by imposing all sorts of rules and regulations in the public's "interest" such as more "security" and more regulations for your "safety" but in the end the only thing that government actually wants and manages to get out of this is more control. Citizens for their part are dumbed down and stop being able to think critically. They think the "govmint" as you say "knows best" because the gov'mint always believes it is right. It's like your most arrogant relative, the one who never let you do anything you wanted when you were a young child and who would always be the first to lecture you why you can't do this or can't do that.

The mentality of farangs from a large number of western countries (fortunately not all, though probably most, especially western European countries, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the USA) is one of brain-dead government worshippers who have lost their ability to think. Australians are amongst the most brainwashed government worshippers (nanny state lovers) on the planet. Many have stooped so low as to ridicule anyone, Aussie or otherwise (and they like to make fun of Americans) who question the lies the media and government tell us. And they think they are the "normal" ones?!

All they do is turn on the TV, the government propagandists tell them via the media that "wearing helmets while riding bicycles reduces deaths by 50%" or "driving 20km/h slower than the speed limit on the highway reduces deaths by 80%" and they believe it. They tend get all self-righteous when you offer a different opinion to these sorts of claims (I brought up highway related statistics because it's related to the OP but really it could be any topic) and give you that look like you're the enemy because you dared to disagree with whatever nonsense they just spouted out. Then, when some of these brainwashed shills come to a country like Thailand, they almost have a daily meltdown when they see Thais driving the wrong way down a road, speeding, driving with passengers at the back of pickup trucks, etc. etc. and feel it's their "right" to try to impose the same draconian rules and regulations from the country they "fled" from. Really, as they used to say in Australia before it became all boring and PC: "if you don't like it, go back to where you came from!"

As you said, life is risky and I want to be able to decide for myself what is risky and what isn't. If I drive 150km/h on the highway I better know what I'm doing because if a truck does a U-turn in front of me and I can't brake in time, well that's it. Most Thais know this but no matter how much you legislate you will never bring the road toll down to zero. Even in the ultra nanny state of Australia, a couple of hundred people lose their lives on the roads each year and that's never going to change unless they ban cars altogether, which incidentally I heard Oslo, Norway was actually considering - no more cars allowed in the city starting in a few years from now.

Edited by jimster

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 11:16 AM, reenatinnakor said:

After a while you don't even have to be on "high alert" anymore. Traffic and Thai driving habits just become predictable. That doesn't mean you should start playing on your phone whilst driving, but like you, I have never been in any accident here (years back in my early days I had one or two minor "fender benders") but I wouldn't call those accidents per se, since then nothing. The unpredictable starts to become predictable and that is what has kept me safe.

It's funny you mentioned the "high horse" brigade of elderly farangs (there are certainly a lot of those), but generally speaking in my experience as a younger person I find that it's the young generation who tend to have an unhealthy love for government, whereas the older generation can usually still remember what freedom used to be like and tend to speak of it with fondness. I have a friend who lives in the region, he has lived in Thailand, Laos and India since the 70s. He's going on 82 this year and is still working. He often tells me how life was like growing up in Australia in the 50s, how much freedom they used to have. Now he wouldn't be caught dead going back to live there. He would loathe it. Not to mention that apart from some of his family who still live there, most of his friends, his social life and work is in this part of the world. A 10-day trip once every year or two is about as much as he can spare for his homeland these days.

On 4/13/2017 at 1:38 PM, RocketDog said:

What a load of crap!

Yawn!

Two days ago, whilst travelling back from Yasothon, a pick-up truck, travelling at a speed, thundered past me with over ten workman packed within the flat bed!

Law enforcement and respect for it, plus health and safety as well as respect for one another, is very thin on the ground here.

It's in their mind-set. They simply do not give a toss!

My feeling is, these people will not adhere to the law.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

16 minutes ago, pentap said:

Yawn!

Two days ago, whilst travelling back from Yasothon, a pick-up truck, travelling at a speed, thundered past me with over ten workman packed within the flat bed!

Law enforcement and respect for it, plus health and safety as well as respect for one another, is very thin on the ground here.

It's in their mind-set. They simply do not give a toss!

My feeling is, these people will not adhere to the law.

What law, if nothing is enforced there is no law. 

On 4/6/2017 at 10:59 PM, kiwikeith said:

...I would never ride in the back of a pickup...

Last trip to Thailand, about 4 of us rode in the back of an open pickup with all our luggage from BKK to Loei.  That's about an 8 hour drive.  Hot all day, then late in the day it rained some. The last hour or two we were wet and freezing, running along at maybe 90 kph.  That's what you get when you only pay a relative for the gasoline.

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/22/2017 at 10:50 PM, Moti24 said:

What a load of crap!

Very erudite and persuasive counterpoint. It is clear that you gave your reply a great deal of thought and you certainly contributed substantially to the discussion. I will have to follow your future posts carefully. One of them might accidentally have some content.

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but everyday, I witness so many pickups, stuffed with passengers,

on the flat bed, normally driving way over the speed limit.

They don't give a toss here. It's as simple as that!

Law and order mean nothing

Life is cheap!

9 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Very erudite and persuasive counterpoint. It is clear that you gave your reply a great deal of thought and you certainly contributed substantially to the discussion. I will have to follow your future posts carefully. One of them might accidentally have some content.

"You pays your money and you takes your chances. I for one hope that Thailand takes several decades or more to become 'safe and totally secure'. Hopefully I'll be dead at that point one way or another."

The above statement in your original post no doubt reflects your general attitude:  conceited, self-opinionated and selfish to a point that you couldn't care less about anybody, not even yourself.  With those attributes, you will probably be dead before you know it, so if I were you, I wouldn't make any long-term plans.  

When you've been here long enough, you may want to re-write your post with a more  positive attitude towards your present country of residence.  Until then, be safe, and remember you are a visitor here.