Chess in Chiang Mai?

Asparutta

So I am a semi-serious Chess player (FIDE ELO 2051) and I'll be in Chiang Mai for 3 months June-September. Is there any Chess Club? and FIDE rated tournaments?

I am also a chess organiser and if there aren't any , I might think of getting some going!

9542_435834193281165_1997465109812369559_n.jpg

I used to play chess until wife said to me:

"Chess, chess, chess....thats all you talk about...when was the last time you took me out?"

apparently "two knights ago" wasn't the right answer

I know this is hard to believe but the is a website called Red hot Pawn.

online tournaments, forums, ladders etc etc, I thought that was the way to go these days?

7 hours ago, landtrout said:

One town's very like another when your head's down over your pieces, brother!

:wink:

Would be happy to meet up and play some games. I could organise some informal tournaments if there aren't any.

5 hours ago, Asparutta said:

Would be happy to meet up and play some games. I could organise some informal tournaments if there aren't any.

It's a drag, it's a bore, it's really such a pity to be looking at the board, not looking at the city...

It's a drag, it's a bore, it's really such a pity to be looking at the board, not looking at the city...

It appears you have no interest in playing, Landtrout....So you better go back to your bars, your temples, your massage
parlours....

I am in Pantip (all floors) every week and I have not seen any sign of chess playing anywhere there in the last 6 months.

Apart from the 'The Pub' the only bar, still around, that I know of that used to host a chess club was the "Kafe" on Moonmuang. 

Citylife used to advertise the chess club meetings but a, very, quick search just now shows the last comments in 2015. Might be worth you doing a more detailed search of their site.  www.citylifechiangmai.com or even contacting them direct, they might even advertise a 'chess meet up' for you!

On 4/14/2017 at 9:52 AM, Paul Catton said:

Google search: Chiang Mai Chess Meetup.

Thanks! Contacted them! Looks good for a bit of fun - I hope I could even find formal tournaments though - I tried to contact the Thailand Chess Federation but so far no answer.

On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 1:31 PM, balo said:

Did you try to play chess against Magnus Carlsen at age 8 ?  I did and lost . 

I'm not surprised he beat you if you were only 8 years old.  He is quite a good player I believe. :smile:

On 4/16/2017 at 7:31 AM, balo said:

Did you try to play chess against Magnus Carlsen at age 8 ?  I did and lost . 

At 8 luckily I'd still be stronger than him. At 10 he had a rating of 2064 which is roughly my rating - at 11 he was already stronger than my peak rating , but still very close - where games would probably end in a 50/50 score. The 1st time I saw him was when he was 15 by which time he was already 2500+ (Grandmaster strength) and had already been for a couple of years. 

The strongest Kid I lost to was a 9 year old who had a rating of 2020 - although he was already so high rated at 9 - he did not continue to become a top GM. He's now an IM 2453 - which of course is great but maybe slightly disappointing. 

Financial resources are very important in chess, there are loads of 8-10 year old amazing players who would have potential to challenge for the world championship, however, most of these because of finances, lifestyle, studies and other factors do not get into the 2700 club.

Well, after playing chess daily for fifteen years I am 1220 so I don't think you would have too much trouble beating me.  I have books and studied chess hard for three years but never really got higher than mid 1400.  I did once beat an 1816 rated player in a tournament but that was my finest hour.  My problem is that I get bored with endlessly following or responding to the tried and tested openings.  In effect it becomes a test of memory and I am actually playing the great chess players not the 1400 rated player on the other side of the board.  I guess that is why I always liked Bobby Fisher so much as he seemed to look for different solutions.  I even like making strange moves and see how my opponent takes the advantage - oddly I enjoy loosing if the opponent can spot a good move.  My favourite form is blitz - the faster the better.  I also do a lot better over the board than online chess.

Anyhow, all the best to CM chess - it has been a while since I played last in CM.  Hope to get back there in three months time and see if I can find other chess disasters who might like a game or two.

22 hours ago, Mousehound said:

Well, after playing chess daily for fifteen years I am 1220 so I don't think you would have too much trouble beating me.  I have books and studied chess hard for three years but never really got higher than mid 1400.  I did once beat an 1816 rated player in a tournament but that was my finest hour.  My problem is that I get bored with endlessly following or responding to the tried and tested openings.  In effect it becomes a test of memory and I am actually playing the great chess players not the 1400 rated player on the other side of the board.  I guess that is why I always liked Bobby Fisher so much as he seemed to look for different solutions.  I even like making strange moves and see how my opponent takes the advantage - oddly I enjoy loosing if the opponent can spot a good move.  My favourite form is blitz - the faster the better.  I also do a lot better over the board than online chess.

Anyhow, all the best to CM chess - it has been a while since I played last in CM.  Hope to get back there in three months time and see if I can find other chess disasters who might like a game or two.

I could give u a few hints re improvement and getting out of forcing openings..... basically if you play an opening where play is not forced, there will be a high number of acceptable moves on each turn, though some prove better than others.... any of them lead to a roughly equal game.....these type of openings are impossible to memorize and require understanding of ideas.... and their application. I play in this way.... not knowing much theory but knowing the plans pertaining to my opening structures very well... 

2 hours ago, Asparutta said:

I could give u a few hints re improvement and getting out of forcing openings..... basically if you play an opening where play is not forced, there will be a high number of acceptable moves on each turn, though some prove better than others.... any of them lead to a roughly equal game.....these type of openings are impossible to memorize and require understanding of ideas.... and their application. I play in this way.... not knowing much theory but knowing the plans pertaining to my opening structures very well... 

Just of late I have been playing openings that go outside the book fast.  They seem wild but I actually do just as well with them as any other traditional opening.  Sometimes., of course, it is a total disaster but generally it leads to a very even game with typically the winner having just one move or positional square advantage.  So, in a way, I am changing my chess style and trying to work along the lines that I will get worse(which I have) before I improve.

• 1 month later...

The OP will be arriving in Chiang Mai on the 19th June, I'm fairly confident he'll pick up this thread again after he's arrived with his family and had a couple of days to settle in.

NB: I was in Panthip Plaza last week and the "chess club / school" on the top floor is open from (I think) 4pm - 8pm from Monday to Thursday and again on Saturday and Sunday. On another note I believe a 10 year old girl is representing Thailand in an international competition to be held quite soon.

Regards,

Joe