Local Logic....

Greenside

I pretty much thought I'd seen it all.  From the landlords who increase the asking rent because they've had a void period due to the original price being too high, to the idiotic double pricing guaranteed to lower the total income in national parks, but today I got surprised...

Scene: A commercial copy/print/design shop in a busy shopping area.  I have 500 pages of A4 that need scanning.

Me: Do you do scanning?

Clerk: Yes (looking at the stack of paper I'm holding), it's 5 baht a page.

Me: Are you serious? I don't want a print out as well.

Clerk: It's normally 10 baht but since you have a lot....

Me: Hang on.  How much is a photocopy?

Clerk: 2 baht....

Me: ...and for that you not only have to scan it but give me a sheet of paper too.  How much is a sheet of copy paper? (As if I didn't know)

Clerk: 20 satang

Me: I see, so you normally charge five times the amount and save money on the paper too.  (Deep breath...) Why is that?

Clerk: Well, once you have the scan you can make lots of copies from it.

I really couldn't think of anything to say to that.

LOS - Land of Surprises (or sometimes Land of Stupid).

I am very conversant with prices for copying and printing - it's the logic, not the price that prompted me to post.

I'm expecting to have to pay 1 to 2 baht for the job because it needs to be done at 1200 dpi and some of the pages are a bit tatty so an ADF will need watching carefully.  At 30 seconds a page it's still 4 hours work.

volume copying can be done with a form feeder in a fraction of the time as scanning.  Copies are .35 across the street...scan quite a bit more.  Try picking your battles more carefully...only about 300 copy shops in CNX.  Apparently, you have never been to Kinkos or Qwik Kopy in the West...much more expensive.

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy

40 minutes ago, SiamBeast said:

Thai logic at its best.

so this pathetic woman with her son and mother painting the kerb red outside her shop in pattaya last week to stop people parking in front of her shop  is wrong  ?

thais own the road in front of their shops >>>> we all know that !

dave2

pattaya woman mother and son painting the kerb red outside her shop 28 mar 17 20170328_153511.jpg

so this pathetic woman with her son and mother painting the kerb red outside her shop in pattaya last week to stop people parking in front of her shop  is wrong  ?

You might not have noticed the already painted red and white kerb she was just doing the local council a favour by repainting for them. [emoji106]

Also notice the zebra crossing sign which the parked cars are obscuring.

4 hours ago, johng said:
  19 hours ago, dave2 said:

4 hours ago, johng said:

You might not have noticed the already painted red and white kerb she was just doing the local council a favour by repainting for them. emoji106.png

Also notice the zebra crossing sign which the parked cars are obscuring.

He doesn't care about noticing, he just likes stirring the pot. Just as I've noticed in another post of his today... just add it on top of the too many already of TVers that seem to have nothing better to do than find problems

5 hours ago, Sig said:

He doesn't care about noticing, he just likes stirring the pot. Just as I've noticed in another post of his today... just add it on top of the too many already of TVers that seem to have nothing better to do than find problems

Yes, I think he needs his upcoming holiday, he's so quick to judge that he misses the glaringly obvious, that people shouldn't be parking there anyway, and just like too many people here, when he  makes assumptions, he's assuming the worst. The kerb is always painted red and white just before and after a crossing so that drivers have a clear view of people at the crossing. She's actually doing a public service, but with a negative these-people-are-so-stupid attitude it's so easy to be completely wrong. He doesn't know who the woman is, why she's painting the kerb, but he assumes the worst and says she's 'Pathetic'. How much more judgmental can anyone get?

My view is that if all of these anti-Thai sentiments in topics raised in just the last few days ( such as "Thais are without a doubt right up there in the cluelss dimwits population" , "Thais will <deleted> me over while giving me that phoney Thai smile" ) were aimed at Jews or minorities the Mods would be deleting them and giving out warnings, but so long as they are aimed at Thais, for some reason,  it's okay.  

My advice for people living in a foreign country is .... when someone does something different to what you might do, reacts differently to situations than how you might react or sees things differently to how you might see them..... take away all the negative 'these-people-are .....' type of thoughts and instead try to figure out why they might be doing things differently. You might not figure it out right away,  but I guaranteee that there will be many an occasion where you might begin to understand that it's not because they are stupid, but merely that they are different. Give 'assuming the best about people' a try because it sure beats assuming the worst.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 9:23 PM, Dante99 said:

If you are in a 2 Baht/page photo copy shop you are at the top end of pricing.  Easy to find places for 50 stang per A4 page.

Our local photo copy guy in Mae Hia has just upped his price from 50 satang to 1 baht an A4 page which I suggested to him years ago as I couldn't see how he could possibly make a reasonable profit.In fact I always used to tip him to make up the difference.

Perhaps he heard what they charge next to Immigration:smile:

the hidden village--This attraction opened this week in Faham. It boasts the Barn restaurant steak house with an interesting menu. I thought i would like to try it so I stopped by. I was informed that I would have to buy a ticket for 200 Baht. I asked if perhaps there was a separate entrance for the restaurant, the answer was NO. So keeping in the counter intuitive business climate here, I asked so I have to pay 200 Baht to eat in the restaurant as I have no interest in looking at the cement dinosaurs. yes I would was the answer so I declined. SIGH

Greenside you NEED to scan 500 pages?  Why not just buy a scanner?  Lazada has quite a few for less than the total price quoted by the copy shop.  I don't know about you, but there are many times that I'm glad I can scan a document and create a decent PDF copy rather than emailing someone a lame JPG image I took with my phone's camera.