Jump to content

I would like to take my 2 year old son to the UK


Recommended Posts

Hi All,

 

I am wanting to take my son to the UK at the end of this month for 1-2 months, I am married and he has a UK & Thai Passport, my wife is fine with me taking him although cannot come due to work and what not.

 

I am told by a friend I she has to sign some paper work? what exacly do I need to do? I cannot find much information on this... also am I ok booking singles flights for us or do I need to show a return flight?

 

Really I just wanted to nip him back to the UK for a bit to see family, with him having the both passports already I thought I could just take him as and when I please?

 

Thanks for any info in advance,

 

Ryan

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, your wife needs to write a letter confirming that ou are taking your son abroad with her agreement. Other than that, there is no real issue. Ensure that you use your son's Thai passport for leaving and re-entering Thailand.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, ryanhull said:

I cannot find much information on this... also am I ok booking singles flights for us or do I need to show a return flight?

What is your visa or extension of stay status.

There would be no need for return tickets to leave the country.

For your trip back you would might need a ticket out of the country unless you have a valid visa or re-entry permit. You child would not need one since they will be entering here on their Thai passport.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, BritTim said:

Yes, your wife needs to write a letter confirming that ou are taking your son abroad with her agreement. Other than that, there is no real issue. Ensure that you use your son's Thai passport for leaving and re-entering Thailand.

And also for checking in for your return flight from the UK to Thailand in due course.

 

Conversely, you should use his British passport when checking in for the outward flight from Thailand, and also for entering and leaving the UK.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the information all, regarding a letter from the wife that will be no problem, it will just say something like she agrees to allow me to take him to the UK and return within 3 months, I can get a copy of her ID however the 'blue tambien ban' as mentioned I doubt will be easy to quickly get from her perants so hopefully I can wing that?

 

Regading the question of why not buy a return, sure it will be cheaper but I like the flexability with singles, plus you cannot change dates on alot of returns without quite hefty fee`s.

 

Thanks again

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
On 4/8/2017 at 3:46 AM, BritTim said:

Yes, your wife needs to write a letter confirming that ou are taking your son abroad with her agreement. Other than that, there is no real issue. Ensure that you use your son's Thai passport for leaving and re-entering Thailand.

Would you not need a visa for your son to enter UK on his Thai passport?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Would you not need a visa for your son to enter UK on his Thai passport?

 

The child is a Dual National - he holds both Thai and British Passports - therefore no need for a Visa in his Thai Passport. On entering the U.K. he simply shows his British Passport.

 

Patrick

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, offset said:

I am thinking of going to the UK with my son I have a court order giving my 100% control over my son will I have any problem if I cannot get a letter from his mother

surely a court order over rides the need for the letter. but I guess that depends on whether the court was in Thailand or the uk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

surely a court order over rides the need for the letter. but I guess that depends on whether the court was in Thailand or the uk

I have court order from the Children's Court in Thailand to say I am the father and one to say I have control over my son

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, offset said:

I have court order from the Children's Court in Thailand to say I am the father and one to say I have control over my son

i would imagine that you don't need a letter from your wife then. might be worth asking a solicitor to confirm it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, offset said:

I am thinking of going to the UK with my son I have a court order giving my 100% control over my son will I have any problem if I cannot get a letter from his mother

I went to Canada last year with my Thai/Canadian dual citizen son, I also have court orderded (Thai) custody of my son

You'll need to show the courts order to get your son's Thai passport

I was also asked at the airport in Thailand to show my custody papers by Immigration, they checked and no problem

I was also spot checked in Canada by immigration as to why son and dad but no mom travelling.

I had the court order translated to English before travelling so no problem.

Doesn't hurt to have his birth cert in english and thai also.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, offset said:

I am thinking of going to the UK with my son I have a court order giving my 100% control over my son will I have any problem if I cannot get a letter from his mother

If you have a court order giving you sole custody, no letter from the mother ought to be necessary. I would be inclined to allow plenty of time at the airport, though, in case immigration want to do some investigation before allowing you to leave.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks all, well im not going to bother with the latter from the amphur, I think a signed passport copy and a letter with her number on will be fine, I say that as I have limited time to go sort all that out now but I am pretty confident we will go through fine with his two passports, birth certificate and letter from the mrs, cheers all

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/9/2017 at 4:05 PM, ryanhull said:

Thanks all, well im not going to bother with the latter from the amphur, I think a signed passport copy and a letter with her number on will be fine, I say that as I have limited time to go sort all that out now but I am pretty confident we will go through fine with his two passports, birth certificate and letter from the mrs, cheers all

Good luck.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Dah fahrang said:

As long as the letter is notarised at the amphur.

Otherwise, anyone can get a letter - even the check in staff at the airport could concoct one and sign it off as the mother.

The notarisation at the amphur, within the last six months is critical.

Not in my experience, have had a letter with me many times, sometimes asked for, always accepted without amphur authorisation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just to update if anyone else wants to know in the future, we went through fine, although wasnt asked for any I had:

1. Thai passport
2. Uk passport
3. Thai Birth Cert
4. Letter from his mum with photocopy of her ID signed
(with her number on saying call her if any problems)

 

I did not require the letter from the amphur however with it being Thailand you never know so if you get chance get one to be safe as it did play on my mind a bit.


We went through fine,  but I think the main thing is you have your mrs ready just incase of a call but that I needed it maybe I got lucky who knows,

 

Cheers all.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/19/2017 at 5:27 PM, ryanhull said:

Hi all,

Just to update if anyone else wants to know in the future, we went through fine, although wasnt asked for any I had:

1. Thai passport
2. Uk passport
3. Thai Birth Cert
4. Letter from his mum with photocopy of her ID signed
(with her number on saying call her if any problems)

 

I did not require the letter from the amphur however with it being Thailand you never know so if you get chance get one to be safe as it did play on my mind a bit.


We went through fine,  but I think the main thing is you have your mrs ready just incase of a call but that I needed it maybe I got lucky who knows,

 

Cheers all.

 

Good news.

Just shows how individual immigration officers, on different days, in different moods (or time of the month) can give the run around. Thanks for the update. Enjoy your visit!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.





×
×
  • Create New...