Pumpkin Pie

thefamilyguy

Or if you really want to impress people, make your own. You must be able to find winter squash in the markets or the stores? The pie filling you can find in a can is usually not "pumpkin" but winter squash.

I bake my own, I usually buy the tin of pumpkin from Villa supermarket and make the crust from scratch.

Avoid using the Thai pumpkins which are actually a squash..... Squash pie?? Yeck!

Greg

check out the paragon shopping centre , basement food centre as they got every bloody thing there mate. :o

Or Contact Flo Bejonki Petterson (former Premier of QLD OZ wife) She used to make Pumpkin Scones..

cracker mate,

and they eventually killed old joe did'nt they. ?

took a frigging long time but. :D :D

Actually it's good...a pumpkin is a squash. The pie filling you get in a can is usually butternut squash, not actual pumpkin.

When you buy Libbey's pumpkin for making pie filling in the US it's real pumpkin, not butternut squash. Read the ingredients. However, you are absolutely right that pumpkin is a squash. You could make decent pumpkin pie with Thai pumpkin, if you were inclined to do the peeling, chopping, cooking, and pureeing it needs.

An easier option is to use cooked mashed sweet potatoes and make sweet potato pie with your pumpkin pie recipe. It tends to turn out a bit darker in color and a bit sweeter. I actually prefer it over pumpkin pie.