Mango Time

Started to pull some of the Mango's today as i was told by the boss some were ready to pick.

Not sure if anyone has observed these round looking Mango, the guy that planted all our trees many years ago told us it was some new version back then.

IMG_0706.JPG

IMG_0707.JPG

IMG_0708.JPG

IMG_0709.JPG

IMG_0710.JPG

17 minutes ago, BLACKJACK2 said:

Never seen the round ones.

We have  mango's in the garden but they are sour, cannot stand them so my wife planted a sweet one just for me and we've just gotten the first fruit off, delicious.

mango.jpg

Green mangoes are always sour because they aren't ripe yet.

Many Thais, but also foreigners love to eat them with salt and sugar.Try the original ones when they're ripe with sticky rice, coconut milk, and nuts. 

Mangoes with stickly rice.jpg

My misses  said   the  round  mango   verrity  are มะม่วงตลับนค , in Thai ,  a look at  Google Thai, one web  site  said   Casserole  Mango,  in  English ( I think the jury could be out on that translation ),  but one thing they are  a  sour mango  verity.  

Nanagarden.com,  plus  other   websites sell the   plants .  

7 hours ago, MikeN said:

What do these taste like ?

Haven't had one myself. Googling it I find:

"It's actually got a fibreless flesh, so it's very smooth, so similar to a nectarine or a peach on the inside, so very easy on the palate."

"The flavour is more like an American mango, so it has a bit more of 'turpy' type taste," Mr Scurr said.

"The ones I have tried have a lot of flavour, but it is different to what we are used to in Australia.

"It's just a more mango flavour that the rest of the world enjoys.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-21/maroon-mango-could-add-extra-month-to-australia-mango-season/8288886

• 9 months later...

My favourite are (apologies in advance for trans spelling) auk rong, sweet and nice smell, love em with sticky rice n coconut milk,,, wife planted about 130 mun duankaew for picking when they’re sour and green, my complaint that I don’t like them resulted in her planting another 20 trees of the other variety......

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 4/8/2017 at 3:48 PM, ajarngreg said:

Green mangoes are always sour because they aren't ripe yet.

There are loads of different green mango's, some are sweet.

I just bought Brahm kai meu thai mango which is supposed to be sweet and crunchy when green.

Also Keo savoey is not sour when still green, can be nice (and expensive, 100-120 a kg in bkk for green ones)

My MIL had one (it died unfortunately) which was really awesome when green, sweet and crunchy and we couldn't stop eating it. I wished i new the name of it and sure would buy it again...hopefully it's brahm kai meu but i don't know....anybody has eaten this mango?

That red apple mango is a new one to Thailand, i grew it but it didn't fruit so i removed the tree. Can't remember the name but it was 2 or 3 words.

I bought purple mango grafted trees, sold as NamDogMai -SiMuong
NamDogMai is a sweet kind with many colors.
I have just started cleft grafting those small trees to very large trees which popped up from seed.
Think set me back 250-350 per tree

29 minutes ago, surfdog said:

I bought purple mango grafted trees, sold as NamDogMai -SiMuong
NamDogMai is a sweet kind with many colors.
I have just started cleft grafting those small trees to very large trees which popped up from seed.
Think set me back 250-350 per tree

Some strange names

These are the most common

Mango - Thai - 'Ma muang'[1].JPG