Patients treated in hallways at overcrowded Samui Hospital

rooster59

Patients treated in hallways at overcrowded Samui Hospital

By Phuket Gazette
SAMUI

eae82fcd86c6c2f955f539dc9b782cf9-sld.jpeg

Patients are being treated in the hallways due to overcrowding at Samui Hospital. Photo: Suchat Hankij

Locals in Samui have lodged complaints about overcrowding at Samui Hospital leading to makeshift arrangements to accommodate patients in the hospital’s hallways.

Patients and their families say that the hallway is hot, uncomfortable and mosquito ridden.

“Currently, we only have 133 beds, but about 160 patients to cater to,” said Samui Hospital Director Dr Theerasak Virtanon Friday.

“Additionally, we have locals and foreigners from Koh Phangan coming to Samui for treatment.”

Dr Theerasak added that the hospital had been raising funds to build another emergency ward.

“The building is compete, but we are finalizing some details before it becomes functional. Once that is done, we are sure the situation will improve,” said Dr Theerasak.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30311742

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-08

5 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

Is it just me or is this happening at so many Thai government hospitals?

I can name you a few where they are treating patients on the hallway and none of them make the news.

Quite correct, nothing new in treating patients on the floor/ hallway in Government hospitals - saw it myself in the North East

1 hour ago, JoePai said:

Quite correct, nothing new in treating patients on the floor/ hallway in Government hospitals - saw it myself in the North East

Many areas at one of the biggest hospitals in Ubon Ratchathani, the Sapphasit hospital has the same problems.

ICU patients in the hallway, patients with very serious and contagious illnesses all together with patients who only have little problems, are causing huge problems for all involved.

Patients catch diseases and some die because of severe lung infections they got from other patients. And that goes on and on....

A doctor once told me that he feels very sorry for the circumstances at hospitals in his country which was a sort of excuse for all the mostly very sick people on the floor or in beds in the hallway.

When a friend of mine had to stay at this unit, the doctor even warned me that it would be very dangerous for me as a visitor. He then also told me that the country wouldn't have enough money to separate the septic patients.

At the same time, you can read of submarines and tanks the country is going to buy and you ask yourself if that makes sense.

I've seen patients being treated under the worst imaginable circumstances and when my friend then died of a lung infection after a heart attack it was clear to me what's wrong.

One doctor for 50 patients can hardly monitor much. New hospitals, or some low tech submarines and tanks.

What's more important for Thailand? The answer is obvious. 

Edited by ajarngreg

1 hour ago, Bob12345 said:

I can name you a few where they are treating patients on the hallway and none of them make the news.

It seems to happen in almost all hospitals in the Isaan. Time for a change. 

At least their being treated!

In Costa Rica government hospitals when busy they sit on the curb outside in the hot sun for many hours only to be told to come back and the surgery availability is in approximately three months.

12 minutes ago, A1Str8 said:

And why do they have to raise funds??? There are these misguided little things in the country that got rich by taking from others. Time to give back! 

They should buy more tanks, fighter jets, helicopters, and submarines. :post-4641-1156693976:

Happens in most public hospitals i think. 

My neighbour who just passed i rushed to hospital acouple weeks ago and he was put in front of the public toilets for 48hours. Within a week he got a proper bed and a drip monitor not running off power board to powerboard. At one point they discconected it because there wasnt enough power points. I could go on. Sad state...

The are also treating patients on the hallway in my so-called "civilized" home-country, and has been doing it for ages. Think it's unusual at Samui's government Hospital in Nathon to be that overcrowded; however, I'm not a regular visitor, I've just never seen it when visiting someone there...

4 hours ago, ajarngreg said:

Many areas at one of the biggest hospitals in Ubon Ratchathani, the Sapphasit hospital has the same problems.

ICU patients in the hallway, patients with very serious and contagious illnesses all together with patients who only have little problems, are causing huge problems for all involved.

Patients catch diseases and some die because of severe lung infections they got from other patients. And that goes on and on....

A doctor once told me that he feels very sorry for the circumstances at hospitals in his country which was a sort of excuse for all the mostly very sick people on the floor or in beds in the hallway.

When a friend of mine had to stay at this unit, the doctor even warned me that it would be very dangerous for me as a visitor. He then also told me that the country wouldn't have enough money to separate the septic patients.

At the same time, you can read of submarines and tanks the country is going to buy and you ask yourself if that makes sense.

I've seen patients being treated under the worst imaginable circumstances and when my friend then died of a lung infection after a heart attack it was clear to me what's wrong.

One doctor for 50 patients can hardly monitor much. New hospitals, or some low tech submarines and tanks.

What's more important for Thailand? The answer is obvious. 

It is likely that the  entire  budget of a  country  could  be spent  on ambulances  at the  bottom  of  cliff  while a  fraction of that  budget   could  be spent on overcoming the ignorance  of   realistic  hygiene   !  Destroy if possible  the  blame of ghosts  for illness  etc  and  the battle  might be a  little  easier  and  hospitals  not  so inundated. Sanction  the   bs  of  the  saffron robed  fraternity  for  giving  false  advice  in  many instances whilst they themselves  head  to  the  start of the  queue at  any  public  hospital for  as  little  reason  other than  flatulence!

And  some  clinical  standards  introduced  to the  hospitals  themselves  would  not  go  amiss! 

Cross  infection  is a  common issue in public  hospitals  due to the  acceptance  of  extended  family  casually  wandering in and out  of such  infectious  disease wards and  unsurprisingly  becoming  victim patients  of  an illness  acquired from the infectious  critically  ill  patient in the  bed  next to a  family  member !

The  health  system  in terms  of medical intervention overall is  comparable  with international expectation  but it  fails dismally in establishing  an  in house  clinical  standard  in support.

7 hours ago, Kabula said:

At least their being treated!

In Costa Rica government hospitals when busy they sit on the curb outside in the hot sun for many hours only to be told to come back and the surgery availability is in approximately three months.

And are they buying submarines, and running a big army and air force.

As medicine and the ability to save lives improves, more people seek medical help! I spent 36 hours on a trolley in a waiting area/corridor in Khon Kaen following a suspected heart attack. Despite this, the medical team were first class even though they were under considerable pressure. When I was moved to a bed in a ward there were 16 beds in a bay designed for 10! Being the main hospital for the Province, they have no option but to accept patients when they arrive. The staff are amazing, and despite the overcrowding, both for inpatients and outpatients, the system works! It may not be up to Western standards, but don't knock it until you've tried it! I have nothing but praise for this hospital where the staff work under considerable pressure.

Sent from my Lenovo A3000-H using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

16 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

just like the UK then

On 4/8/2017 at 9:07 PM, USPatriot said:

And private hospitals are available with insurance.  But buying beer and whiskey are more important.

Private hospitals aren't regulated and are therefore free to bill based on ethnicity rather than nature of injury. Where else in the world does that work?

You might also google 'pre-existing conditions' & spare a thought to the many who stay alot further than you'd have us believe from the turps...

Edit: I further note once again that only around 20% of posts are from people that actually live within the catchment area of the hospital. Many of the remainder fall within the term 'digital trapdoor spider' which in the main is a subtle form of trolling.

In this example the OP is a Cricket...:smile:

Edited by evadgib
added a link

• 2 weeks later...

Do some of you thai haters seriously think that hospitals in your beloved home countries ( where it seems most of you would be e better off returning to ) dont suffer from overcrowding and treating outside of normal hospital environment.

Check out the usa for health care if you dont have health insurance.

But hey why waste another opportunity to insult the people who allow you to stay in THEIR country?

On 04/08/2017 at 7:21 PM, A1Str8 said:

And why do they have to raise funds??? There are these misguided little things in the country that got rich by taking from others. Time to give back! 

Its all relative though.

Every developed country in the world wishes it had more money to pump into its health system and hospitals however citizens and businesses dont want to pay more taxes or go without other state provided services.

Countries like australia and the uk are seeing their wonderful health systems going down the pan and private health funds getting hand outs to take the slack.

Meanwhile defence expenditure is increasing exponentially on items that are never used or are failures eg Oz submarine projects.

The old groaners on here live in thailand because its cheap. They dont want to pay tax but they expect efficient police, health and other public services.

Sorry wrinklies and by the way the tooth fairy and santa arent real either

Edited by Royal 8er
spelling

On 04/09/2017 at 8:25 AM, graemeaylward said:

As medicine and the ability to save lives improves, more people seek medical help! I spent 36 hours on a trolley in a waiting area/corridor in Khon Kaen following a suspected heart attack. Despite this, the medical team were first class even though they were under considerable pressure. When I was moved to a bed in a ward there were 16 beds in a bay designed for 10! Being the main hospital for the Province, they have no option but to accept patients when they arrive. The staff are amazing, and despite the overcrowding, both for inpatients and outpatients, the system works! It may not be up to Western standards, but don't knock it until you've tried it! I have nothing but praise for this hospital where the staff work under considerable pressure.

Sent from my Lenovo A3000-H using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

At last ! A decent post from someone with a bit of understanding and reality.

Well done mate

7 hours ago, Royal 8er said:

The old groaners on here live in thailand because its cheap. They dont want to pay tax but they expect efficient police, health and other public services.

I think you will find that the 'old groaners' pay a lot of tax in Thailand - they pay tax every time they spend money here and buy something.

If I go to a government hospital I expect to queue and have to wait as they are generally very busy. If I want quick then I would go to a private hospital.