Golden retrievers

Please adopt don't shop but if you must purchase an animal do some due diligence on where it is coming from especially in Chiang Mai. There have been some horrendous photos posted on Facebook of dogs from "puppy farms" in that area.

There are a lot of people working very hard to rescue dogs kept in appalling conditions on these farms and then find homes for the survivors but unfortunately there are still more people supporting the breeders and perpetuating the  misery.

Ask yourself why you want a dog? If you genuinely love dogs I hope you will consider adopting your next golden retriever.

Maybe look up Care For Dogs, Lek Chailert or Soi dog Foundation, Thailand Adopt a Dog on Facebook. There are all kinds of dogs and puppies in need of a home, pure breeds included. It's amazing how much people spend on pure breeds only to be looking for homes for them a few months later when they decide to move, you may well get lucky.

Good luck to you :)

• 2 weeks later...

Agree 100%, do not support breeding of western dogs in the tropics. With all the stray dogs that need good homes, there is no need to breed dogs. The way that dogs are neglected in this country is disgraceful. All the neighbors we have had in villages over the years have kept their dogs locked up 24/7, no walks no nothing. There were just 10 puppies dropped off in the local empty lot nearby by unscrupulous cowards.

As for Goldens,  they are not suited to this climate, ours is in constant discomfort due to her skin issues with the tropic weather, (fortunately we are taking her to Canada soon but that's another story) Tried everything, but the vet agrees, these dogs are not made for the tropics. (We didnt buy, but adopted 2 that were in need of homes)

Edited by Deelectro

Agree 100%, do not support breeding of western dogs in the tropics. With all the stray dogs that need good homes, there is no need to breed dogs. The way that dogs are neglected in this country is disgraceful. All the neighbors we have had in villages over the years have kept their dogs locked up 24/7, no walks no nothing. There were just 10 puppies dropped of in the local empty lot nearby.
As for Goldens,  they are not suited to this climate, ours is in constant discomfort due to her skin issues with the tropic weather, (fortunately we are taking her to Canada soon but that's another story) Tried everything, but the vet agrees, these dogs are not made for the tropics.

I understand, but we previously had a golden for 15 years here in Thailand, and the dog was happy. We took her out everyday, swimming and running. She slept with fan or AC, and was happy....but agree there are so many strays that need a good home.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Things like skin issues can be inherited from the dog's parents. My Bull Terrier in Thailand has a grass allergy. This can effect Bull Terrier's in the UK as UK as well. My labrador lived until 11 and she was fine here. I now have a Goldmaraner (Golden Retriever x Weimaraner) and she loves long walks here you can't tire her out. I do think that short haired breeds are probably better for the heat here. To the OP try searching the Kennel Club Thailand, or Facebook. There are also often adverts for Golden Retrievers and labs on Bahtsold.

• 4 weeks later...
Agree 100%, do not support breeding of western dogs in the tropics. With all the stray dogs that need good homes, there is no need to breed dogs. The way that dogs are neglected in this country is disgraceful. All the neighbors we have had in villages over the years have kept their dogs locked up 24/7, no walks no nothing. There were just 10 puppies dropped off in the local empty lot nearby by unscrupulous cowards.

As for Goldens,  they are not suited to this climate, ours is in constant discomfort due to her skin issues with the tropic weather, (fortunately we are taking her to Canada soon but that's another story) Tried everything, but the vet agrees, these dogs are not made for the tropics. (We didnt buy, but adopted 2 that were in need of homes)

Even Goldens are different and not all the same. Have a 3 year old, sleeps outside every night with no fan or ac and is very happy. Active every day, swims and walks. I have a friend who has the same so it's total nonsense to say they are not made for the tropics. Agree however to adopt, not shop - we have 4 local dogs who live along with the golden who was adopted from a friend.

On 4/18/2017 at 11:49 AM, Big Guns said:

Things like skin issues can be inherited from the dog's parents. My Bull Terrier in Thailand has a grass allergy. This can effect Bull Terrier's in the UK as UK as well. My labrador lived until 11 and she was fine here. I now have a Goldmaraner (Golden Retriever x Weimaraner) and she loves long walks here you can't tire her out. I do think that short haired breeds are probably better for the heat here. To the OP try searching the Kennel Club Thailand, or Facebook. There are also often adverts for Golden Retrievers and labs on Bahtsold.

Agree - as a kid (in the UK) we were given a staffie (by a show-dog breeder) as the staffie had skin problems, so he was not suitable for dog shows.  We were so lucky to receive this 'gift', as he was the most wonderful dog - loving, loyal, intelligent etc., and decades later I still miss him.

MANY dogs here in Thailand have skin problems, including mutts.  I suspect its because of the hot/humid climate?

3 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Agree - as a kid (in the UK) we were given a staffie (by a show-dog breeder) as the staffie had skin problems, so he was not suitable for dog shows.  We were so lucky to receive this 'gift', as he was the most wonderful dog - loving, loyal, intelligent etc., and decades later I still miss him.

MANY dogs here in Thailand have skin problems, including mutts.  I suspect its because of the hot/humid climate?

Mostly it's because of the mange mites.  Also bad diet and people not taking proper care of them.... nothing to do with the hot / humid climate.

23 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Mostly it's because of the mange mites.  Also bad diet and people not taking proper care of them.... nothing to do with the hot / humid climate.

I have three dogs now (sadly lost one last December :sad:), but all four suffer(ed) from skin problems in one way or another - and I can assure you that they do not have a bad diet and I take very good care of them!  None of them have/had mange mites.

Similarly I know other people that also take very good care of their dogs, but still they suffer from skin problems.

Hence my conclusion that its possibly due to the hot/humid climate.

3 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

I have three dogs now (sadly lost one last December :sad:), but all four suffer(ed) from skin problems in one way or another - and I can assure you that they do not have a bad diet and I take very good care of them!  None of them have/had mange mites.

Similarly I know other people that also take very good care of their dogs, but still they suffer from skin problems.

Hence my conclusion that its possibly due to the hot/humid climate.

OK.  That is your experience.  I know many people.. in fact the vast majority, who have dogs and none have any skin problems.

I have also have 3 dogs, and they have no skin problems.  I have seen dogs with mange a lot in the village, and with the Thai dogs that are chained up or locked in cages 24 / 4  and never taken to a vet. 

What did the vet say was making all you dogs get skin problems?

Often feeding raw diets will really help dogs with skin and teeth problems... as these days most of the problems are related to the commercial dry dog food ingredients.  Maybe give that a try and see if they improve. 

Briefly (trying not to further derail the thread!), they all have different skin problems and the vet basically said 'don't know what's causing the problem' in each case.  Fortunately, they're all minor problems.

I've found that watered down tea tree oil (applied when she starts biting a back leg) seems to have worked for one dog/a 'soothing' cream supplied by the vet works well on the affected area for another dog, and a course of tablets has worked for the other - although the vet said that she has dry skin, so I'm starting a weekly regime of adding coconut oil to their food.

I'm inclined to agree that raw meat is likely better for them, and so do my best in this respect.  Funnily enough I started a topic on the subject a few months ago.

Finally getting back on topic (!), I hope the OP has found a stray/rescued golden retriever for whom he can provide a good home - rather than buying one :smile:.