Just Another Form of Double Pricing

losworld

8 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

I know plenty of well off Thais in the UK, there are thousands of them. Many own Thai restaurants, supermarket chains and massage parlours. I know of a few Thais that own their own homes in affluent Wimbledon, London, some of the properties are valued at £3 million.  Even have their own temple there. Also many have bought homes in the centre of London, like Hammersmith, Kensington and Earls court, most well beyond the affordability of the average working class Brits.  

Most know of all the cons, marriages of convenience, working for several years when after 5 years I think, they automatically receive permanent stay visas in the UK, when they can work, own businesses and own property with no questions asked. Many Thais are able to obtain duel nationality, especially those who marry Brits. I have as much chance of gaining Thai citizenship as winning the lottery. 

I also know of some Thais that left England for America,  paid for a marriage of convenience and soon had duel American and Thai citizenships. I hear that Australia is the place for Thais to go now, apparently it`s a doddle for them to obtain visas. They go as students, work illegally and many pay for marriages of convenience, there are even corrupt agencies that make all the arrangements for them.

To conclude my rant; it is much easier for Thais to become established in the west, then it is for Farangs in Thailand and many knowing all the cons and tricks or have Thai friends that show them the way, do make it big time by knowing how to use the system in their favour, whether legal or not.

In Australia it is not only Thais obtaining citizenship by way of the marriage route but other nationalities as well.

Providing you follow the criteria it is almost guaranteed and unless the rules have changed in the last couple of years living in a defacto relationship met the requirements.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, fulhamboy said:

I caught a train from Hua Hin to Suasoanpradipat two train stations away

I was with four Thais, I had to pay 2 baht they all travelled for free, I have

written to the general manager Thai railways and my local MP in the uk !

The stamps would have cost you more than 2 baht. You are joking right? What is your local MP in the U.K going to do? Launch 60 Tomahawk missiles to take out the railway stations. 

"I see no justification for this and it frankly pisses me off as we allow Thais to vote in America, get visas, get citizenship, get phone plans and the list goes on."

Thais can only vote in America if they are citizens--if you were a citizen here, you could get your DTAC plan too. You get visas here, can get citizenship here and get phone plans here.

Not that I do not see you complaint,, but you need a better argument. 

2 hours ago, fulhamboy said:

Do you really think your local MP can help? Go back to fulham on your 2 baht.

3 hours ago, fulhamboy said:

Amazingly you got a few with this one. 

The stamps would have cost you more than 2 baht. You are joking right? What is your local MP in the U.K going to do? Launch 60 Tomahawk missiles to take out the railway stations. 

You mean launched from the new Thai submarines? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Mark Twain, is that you?

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I wanted the internet in my house True Move wanted a year upfront, only Thais can get pay monthly, contracts, possibly they have been 'stung' by Farangs doing a 'runner' ?
Since moving in 5 months I get DTAC Bills for the previous renter, I have informed DTAC but they still keep coming.

They must be owned by AT&T

Just Another Form of Double Pricing

Unless you're paying twice as much, maybe you mean differential pricing.

When I attended university in Illinois I was charged far less than anyone from out of state or out of country. Some universities are totally P.O.'d at Trump's travel bans since they've frightened off a large number of foreign students who paid far more than locals. Even when I went back to do 2 more degrees after not living in-state for decades, I still was charged the lowest tuition fees and actually had even that waived.

Children are charged far less than me for seats on an airplane although they are (a) generally super annoying and (b) occupy a seat that could hold a full paying customer. It might be argued that they weigh less which saves fuel, but  following that logic, some farang should pay 2x or 3x the typical Thai for transport such as on Song Taeows or tuk tuks.

And for that matter all the adults flying either in economy or business class almost certainly paid different amounts for exactly the same service.

As far as phone service is concerned, I went to see an AIS service agent and told her I didn't use the phone that much so I was accumulating a balance because I needed to pay-in more every month or whatever it was to maintain the service. She switched me to some ultra-low charge and every time I topped up I got a much longer validity before I needed to add anything. Seek and quite often ye shall find, although it take a more effort that doing nothing other than whining.

Differential pricing exists everywhere for a variety of logical or illogical reasons. Of course in Thailand many farang suffer dreadfully from a fear of perceived loss of face and "see" discrimination that they were blind to back in farangland. I expect a lot of Thais wonder why so many rather dull & challenged farang seem able to live here for months or years on end without doing anything that qualifies as work while the typical Thai will probably have to work every day of their lives just to feed and clothe themselves. Another form of differential economics ... in some cases logical but generally without any reasonable explanation other than the lottery of life.

Wow... you guys are really masters at derailing a topic.

Big news: You can sign up with any of the 3 providers with any kind of visa. Some don't want money upfront, but some want you to have your account in the positive, therefore not really giving you credit but still letting you use the postpaid rates. If one shop refuses then just go to the next one.

Mcdonald also has dual pricing, Mc donald near beaches are always more expensive, up to 40 thb more on some burgers !

McDonald's at west lake mall in Seattle charged more than a the regular McDonald's around the corner and has no dollar menu.

Targeted at tourists and foreigners?

2 hours ago, abab said:

Mcdonald also has dual pricing, Mc donald near beaches are always more expensive, up to 40 thb more on some burgers !

No, some stores raise the price a few baht

to compensate for the higher rents in the

Beach Areas.  EVERYONE ; locals and tourists

pay the increase in price.

Farangs are charged for only calls and messages they make. Not for incoming ones. The same as Thais. Much better than in the States. Plus the charges are lower.. I know it is not what the OP is talking about but I like to see something positive written once in a while.

7 hours ago, little mary sunshine said:

No, some stores raise the price a few baht

to compensate for the higher rents in the

Beach Areas.  EVERYONE ; locals and tourists

pay the increase in price.

dual pricing anyway !

Thais may well be treated equally once they enter the USA, but they do require Visas......

You do not to enter Thailand.

I think the USA companies would charge more for foreigners if they were allowed to, some States have Hotel taxes.

19 hours ago, wanderluster said:

america is the worst county in the world for double pricing..........   go to disneyland and a 1 day ticket is appox $80 but a 1 yr pass is $85 but only for the locals..   and it is this way all over the country..  worst thieves in the world.   they just say it a little more descitely than the thais.

Good point, and now that you mention it, in Oz I get an annual National Parks park for my vehicle at $95 pa, half of the $190 pa that non locals pay. Also up the road at Perisher and Thredbo ski resorts, discounted lift passes for locals only.

2 hours ago, Blackheart1916 said:

Good point, and now that you mention it, in Oz I get an annual National Parks park for my vehicle at $95 pa, half of the $190 pa that non locals pay. Also up the road at Perisher and Thredbo ski resorts, discounted lift passes for locals only.

Do all the Thais living in Aussie also qualify?

3 hours ago, Blackheart1916 said:

And that $95 is more than most farang will spend in a year at Thai National Parks and yet they cry bitterly about it because Thai go for cheaper... though when a meal costs them 20% of an Aussie meal, they don't walk away happy about how reasonable prices are here... 

some people just love to feel slighted and complain... 

On 4/9/2017 at 0:32 PM, wanderluster said:

america is the worst county in the world for double pricing..........   go to disneyland and a 1 day ticket is appox $80 but a 1 yr pass is $85 but only for the locals..   and it is this way all over the country..  worst thieves in the world.   they just say it a little more descitely than the thais.

Yep, See that at many tourist locations. anything 6 Flags. Same for skiing lift tickets and discount cards that foreigners or tourists do not have access too. 

Funny how people get so spun up over a couple of bucks here. While I can appreciate principle lets be honest with ourselves, this happens in every country, some just hide it better. Just pay it or do not go, its really that simple. As to KenK24's comment, Complain on a few bucks at the park but never say that dinner was too cheap, I should pay more. 

There's probably some very simple explanation for it... one reason could be foreigners who come here for a limited time and then leave again without paying. 

While such cheap skates are few and far between, thay do give the rest of us a bad reputation AND make like generally more difficult. 

On 4/8/2017 at 11:07 PM, losworld said:

Well that's interesting because there are more thais in los angeles than in any city in Thailand outside of Bangkok or Chiang Mai.  So I really don't know what the hell you are talking about regarding Thais not wanting to go to the US.  How is that relevant to being a fair policy.

Horsepuckey. What is with so many TV members pulling stuff out of their... hats?
As of the latest census there are 200,000 Thais in the whole of the US.  66% live in and around LA... that is 132,000.
Here are current population figures for the largest Thai cities:

Population Time Zone
Bangkok 5,104,476 BMT
Samut Prakan 388,920 BMT
Mueang Nonthaburi 291,555 BMT
Udon Thani 247,231 BMT
Chon Buri 219,164 BMT
Nakhon Ratchasima 208,781 BMT
Chiang Mai 200,952 BMT
Hat Yai 191,696 BMT
Pak Kret 182,926 BMT
Si Racha 178,916 BMT
Phra Pradaeng 171,333 BMT
Lampang 156,139 BMT
Khon Kaen 147,579

BMT... Your statement is not even close to correct.

I also have a bone to pick with the OP... we in the USA do NOT allow Thais to vote, nor any other foreign nationals, until they become citizens. It is NOT easy for a Thai person to get a visa. Finally, as mentioned in several other postings here, it is NOT impossible to get a post paid account... perhaps difficult, but not impossible.
I have my 3BB account in a friend's name... the bills come to my address, and I pay them at the convenience store up the street.
My GF wants me to put my AIS account in her name, because they DO have some Thai only packages that are cheaper... what is the problem with that?
Good luck... my main point is that an awful lot of people bitch because "It ain't like home!". That is exactly why I ain't home.:post-4641-1156694572:

Edited by Bill Miller

1 hour ago, Bill Miller said:

Horsepuckey. What is with so many TV members pulling stuff out of their... hats?

a question i keep asking since more than a decade. never got an answer though :smile:

4 hours ago, Bill Miller said:

As of the latest census there are 200,000 Thais in the whole of the US.  66% live in and around LA... that is 132,000.
Here are current population figures for the largest Thai cities:

Population Time Zone
Bangkok 5,104,476 BMT
Samut Prakan 388,920 BMT
Mueang Nonthaburi 291,555 BMT
Udon Thani 247,231 BMT
Chon Buri 219,164 BMT
Nakhon Ratchasima 208,781 BMT
Chiang Mai 200,952 BMT
Hat Yai 191,696 BMT
Pak Kret 182,926 BMT
Si Racha 178,916 BMT
Phra Pradaeng 171,333 BMT
Lampang 156,139 BMT
Khon Kaen 147,579

BMT... Your statement is not even close to correct.

I also have a bone to pick with the OP... we in the USA do NOT allow Thais to vote, nor any other foreign nationals, until they become citizens. It is NOT easy for a Thai person to get a visa. Finally, as mentioned in several other postings here, it is NOT impossible to get a post paid account... perhaps difficult, but not impossible.
I have my 3BB account in a friend's name... the bills come to my address, and I pay them at the convenience store up the street.
My GF wants me to put my AIS account in her name, because they DO have some Thai only packages that are cheaper... what is the problem with that?
Good luck... my main point is that an awful lot of people bitch because "It ain't like home!". That is exactly why I ain't home.:post-4641-1156694572:

You are right.  Farangs on TV lie all the time.  It's annoying.  And this nonsensical thread is a prime example.

18 hours ago, 12DrinkMore said:

Do all the Thais living in Aussie also qualify?

Yes they do, as it operates on the address on your vehicle registration papers, so I suppose that makes it a geographical rather than racial basis, but still discriminatory.

On 4/9/2017 at 6:48 PM, Suradit69 said:

As far as phone service is concerned, I went to see an AIS service agent and told her I didn't use the phone that much so I was accumulating a balance because I needed to pay-in more every month or whatever it was to maintain the service.

With AIS 12Call You can also dial *500*9# which will give you 30 days for 30 Baht.

TOT charges farangs  more for  internet and phone services as my Wife asked  yesterday for  someone...no not us, they said they charge foreigners more as they tend to run away from contracts, (ie go back to Frangland) Ive personally seen this when they have left our rented  rooms