Weather too hot for wife

kunfish

Here for 2 weeks (one week into It) wife can't handle the heat. Wife's friends can't. Two people i spoke to before trip don't like it here it is too hot for them. Wife can't wait to get back home to cold clammy rainy puget sound.

Wife and her friends are from Thailand. People I spoke to are from Thailand.

Me and a Brit friend are loving it.

So much for local acclimation. Worried wife won't want to live here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

April is a bad month to visit Thailand. High temperatures combined with high humidity in the air with the "Cooling Monsoon Rains" still 2 months in the future.
Every Thai knows this.
Cheers.

It's spring break in America for daughter and break time for kids here. Winter break is too expensive to fly and we went to Las Vegas then anyway.

We didn't have any other option and I wanted to check out Sonkran.

I only wish that I had the opportunity to live in the magnificently beautiful Puget Sound area...

It's a wonderful place. Suggest visiting in September. Or march to visit mount Rainer.

I only wish that I had the opportunity to live in the magnificently beautiful Puget Sound area...

Overall September is best. Take a ferry to the peninsula and visit port Townsend then hurricane ridge. You will not be disappointed. Or Seattle to mount Vernon then la Connor the anacortes and the city park there on the water then mount ebey then Rosario beach then deception pass then down to fort Casey cross to port Townsend and then hurricane ridge then back home. A fantastic experience never to forget. 2 days tops.

After That try a day or two to vantage Washington then back via highway 12 then 2 over Stevens pass.

If you want more details let me know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Loaded with ice. That will have her begging for warmth [emoji3]

Yep. There you go. She wants to buy a pool and fill it with ice.

Her friends are calling us asking if I'm okay.

She had a bad headache for 2 days. We went to market and she ate somtam. She was cured of headache and indigestion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Get down to Phuket. This year we have not had a hot season. It's been raining pretty much every evening. Big storms keep the air cool.

Get down to Phuket. This year we have not had a hot season. It's been raining pretty much every evening. Big storms keep the air cool.

We will be back in the states next week for 10C weather. Cured.

1 minute ago, Shiver said:

Thai GF complaining about the heat too.  Spending her free time in the one room that has A/C.

I've got a fan on #1, a bit sticky but just ignore it.  Will make tonight's beer taste better.

Strange some of us farangs just get on with it, yet not that long ago Thai folk didn't have A/C or fans...They dealt with it....Strange that..

I grew up in the Puget Sound (30 years). It is one of the most beautiful places I have lived or visited ... for the 4 sunny days. I rains all the time. My family still lives there. Not the Thailand kind of rain. It sprinkles rain all the time and its always cloudy. Every time I visit it rains :-(   Love it but hate it. I moved to California :-)

Thailand is hot this time of year and if you aren't accustom to it it can be overwhelming (like visiting from the Puget Sound). It takes me about a month to get use to it. If you are only staying a week, or two, you never really get use to it.

I suggest sending her home early. I sure it gets tiring to hear her complain about it all the time. I'm sure you can find something to do ....... :-)

Best of luck in your adventures.

20 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

I lived there for a couple of years. It's a beautiful area, but you don't see the sun for about half the year. 

On 4/9/2017 at 3:18 PM, kunfish said:

It's spring break in America for daughter and break time for kids here. Winter break is too expensive to fly and we went to Las Vegas then anyway.

On 4/9/2017 at 3:18 PM, kunfish said:

If the wife and her friends who are complaining about the heat are from Thailand; I would have to laugh.

I have seen several examples of that sort of phenomenon with Southeast Asian Women.

One lady from the PI claimed it was too hot for her in her home barrio and could not stand to sleep without a/c; yet she grew-up without electricity.

Another from Vietnam went to Montreal to university; after four years she came back to Vietnam,  she claimed she forgot how to speak Vietnamese.

Yet another from Thailand claimed she was not used to the spicy food here and could only eat western food; she had been gone only a couple of years.

I think there may be a common denominator here; the wives may simply be trying to express their pleasure at living elsewhere, or they may be concerned about the ready availability of young sweet things for their husbands.

On 4/8/2017 at 11:30 PM, swissie said:

April is a bad month to visit Thailand. High temperatures combined with high humidity in the air with the "Cooling Monsoon Rains" still 2 months in the future.

Every Thai knows this.

Cheers.

laf so much this!!! worst possible time to visit if you don't like heat or humidity....  most of the year the weather is pleasant imo.

In any case here are my suggestions

Stay indoors during the day where air conditioning is available... take  2 to 3 showers a day...  stay by the pool or leave Bangkok and head out to hua hin or Pattaya where the weather will be more bearable.

PS in most cases as previously mentioned by other people, in general, you get accustomed to the heat after about 30 days

Edited by speckio

IIt doesn't matter where you were born, it's where you been living for the past 6 months.

If you've been living in a hot, tropical location then Thailand will feel "normal".

If you've been living in a cool place, then of course you're going to feel hot.

"Most people have the ability to physiologically acclimatize to hot conditions over a period of days to weeks.  The salt concentration of sweat progressively decreases while the volume of sweat increases.  Urine volume also reduces.  In addition, vasodilation of peripheral blood vessels causes flushing, or reddening, of the skin because more blood is close to the surface.  That blood brings heat from the core body areas to the surface where it can be dissipated easily into the environment by radiation."

http://anthro.palomar.edu/adapt/adapt_2.htm

Gotta stay hydrated with electrolytes.

May I suggest the Thai drink "Sponsor"?

apparent_temperature.gif

IIt doesn't matter where you were born, it's where you been living for the past 6 months.

If you've been living in a hot, tropical location then Thailand will feel "normal".

If you've been living in a cool place, then of course you're going to feel hot.

"Most people have the ability to physiologically acclimatize to hot conditions over a period of days to weeks.  The salt concentration of sweat progressively decreases while the volume of sweat increases.  Urine volume also reduces.  In addition, vasodilation of peripheral blood vessels causes flushing, or reddening, of the skin because more blood is close to the surface.  That blood brings heat from the core body areas to the surface where it can be dissipated easily into the environment by radiation."
http://anthro.palomar.edu/adapt/adapt_2.htm

Gotta stay hydrated with electrolytes.

May I suggest the Thai drink "Sponsor"?

apparent_temperature.gif.43d8e1a8ebe656132f051ecec8bcad55.gif

Good info.

Conversely for me the endless 6 months of rain and cold in puget sound was a great preparation for the heat and sun. It is greatly welcome.

It's all in the mind, so to speak.

I grew up in the Puget Sound (30 years). It is one of the most beautiful places I have lived or visited ... for the 4 sunny days. I rains all the time. My family still lives there. Not the Thailand kind of rain. It sprinkles rain all the time and its always cloudy. Every time I visit it rains :-(   Love it but hate it. I moved to California :-)

Thailand is hot this time of year and if you aren't accustom to it it can be overwhelming (like visiting from the Puget Sound). It takes me about a month to get use to it. If you are only staying a week, or two, you never really get use to it.

I suggest sending her home early. I sure it gets tiring to hear her complain about it all the time. I'm sure you can find something to do ....... :-)

Best of luck in your adventures.

When people think of rainy season in Thailand they think I rains all of the time. Maybe using Seattle as an example of endless rain.

Yeah puget sound weather is getting tiresome. Moving to Thailand in next couple of years.

Time to find back up lady that is acclimated to the heat and you. 

Or,  take her for long walks early in the morning before seven and stay inside with AC during the hottest part of the day