Do You Depend On The Tourist Dollar?

the gentleman

With low season coming and the threats made by the idiots, do you think/know that your business will suffer?

We have had a rough few years, with Sars, Wars and now threats - how long can you business operate without the tourist dollar? Will you survive? and for how long?

DOLLAR - worthless

AMERICAN............!

Translator, it is a figure of speech. Geez.

Gentleman, my husband's family owns a small resort but fortunately for them it is not their main source of income and neither are they in debt for having built it. However, I do see loads of people here building new shops/restaurants/guesthouses/resorts you name it and all driving around in new trucks and SUVs. I can't imagine that they have all paid cash for these things so, I forsee quite a few indebted people being hurt if things in the South get worse. I have already heard one story about a 20 year old English girl whose parents would not allow her to come to Thailand because of the violence in the South (presumably they were going to pay for the trip).

SBK

It's the law of life.

you can or you cant. you do or you dont. you will or you wont.

If a country has a problem, then many suffer, not just those with an investment tied into the lifestyle or cultural investment.

next time try rubber plantations. seems to be on the increase...tip

I can't see good coming from American involvment around the world. To many problems for one man to concerned about. Dont tell me its for the good of the nation....Like they have a say in it....

Still waiting for WMD

DOLLAR - worthless

AMERICAN............!

Translator, it is a figure of speech. Geez.

Gentleman, my husband's family owns a small resort but fortunately for them it is not their main source of income and neither are they in debt for having built it. However, I do see loads of people here building new shops/restaurants/guesthouses/resorts you name it and all driving around in new trucks and SUVs. I can't imagine that they have all paid cash for these things so, I forsee quite a few indebted people being hurt if things in the South get worse. I have already heard one story about a 20 year old English girl whose parents would not allow her to come to Thailand because of the violence in the South (presumably they were going to pay for the trip).

Goodness me

In an ideal world everyone would be happy and have loads of money

In an ideal world everyone would never have to borrow cash

you lucky woman

sound same thai lady marry farrang

isn't that weird

Bash

Goodness me

In an ideal world everyone would be happy and have loads of money

In an ideal world everyone would never have to borrow cash

you lucky woman

sound same thai lady marry farrang

isn't that weird

Bash

grow up Basher, I didn't marry my husband for his money. This thread is about tourism in Thailand and how it will affect individual members and the tourism sector.

I said my husband's family does not get their primary source of income from the bungalows so I don't think they will be affected much at all. However, many other people have borrowed heavily (did I say this as a criticism? I don't think so, just a fact) in order to finance their tourist oriented businesses and I believe that unless the unrest in the South comes to some kind of conclusion, people will be hurting. I agree with translator on the point that it won't be just the tourism sector that will be affected. Besides, isn't the tourism sector a hefty chunk of the annual GDP? Anyone know what that percentage would be?