why do the good massage ladys come from chiang mai

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

No sight also means they would miss any infections, wounds, sores, blisters, fungus, signs of surgery and more.

Yeah welcome to the world of  cross contamination. 

You have no idea where those hands have been or what they have been subjected to. Be honest have ever seen any of those people even wash their hands before putting them on you??? 

I go to a massage shop in a soi off the end of Changkhlan Road in Chiang Mai. They always wash their hands before the massage, then again when they move to massaging the head. However, point taken - they would probably be in a minority.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, BigKahuna said:

Blind Husband and wife team in Bangkok do good massages. No sight means they have to focus more on feel of muscles. The pair I saw talked and joked whole time. Great people.

Yes one must spread the baht goodwill around. These brave souls try and that is worth my patronage. 

10 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

No sight also means they would miss any infections, wounds, sores, blisters, fungus, signs of surgery and more.

You have no idea where those hands have been or what they have been subjected to. Be honest have ever seen any of those people even wash their hands before putting them on you??? 

What kind of person has blisters all over their back? If so maybe it was the bargirl not the massage that gave them problems!!!!

Edited by BigKahuna

6 hours ago, bazza73 said:

There are three levels here - bow bow, gan gan and nak nak ( gentle, medium and hard ). I opt for gentle. The female masseuses are better at gentle, I sometimes have to tell the men to back off.

I've had several massage women who have had to wake me up when they have finished. IMHO that's the best type of massage.

Apparently Koreans demand the heaviest massage possible. Unfortunately, if you ask for an oil massage here it will be interpreted as wanting extra services.

Formula for sleep.   One or two Leo's and then a gentle massage.   Many times I have had to wake people up to turn over or tell them it is over.

19 hours ago, Foexie said:

That's very simple: CM has the best massage schools of Thailand.

They come from all over to study there.

This is exactly true. I was going to write the same comment. The really superior massage schools are in Chiang Mai and take their role very seriously. 

Recently, the government has visited all of the massage shops in CM and demanded to see the qualifications of each and every lady and man working there. 

All the staff have needed to be dressed in a uniform (of some sort) and have photos taken together as a group.

Because my GF works many different massage shops, she has had to turn up to each with her qualifications in hand. 

massage qualifications.jpg

13 hours ago, CharlieH said:

charlie h.  my massage lady gives me better adjustments than a chiropractor and she has no training.  school of hard knocks.  versus school of just wanting to make money.  let me be clear, in my opinion southeast asia especially   in this order.....

1 thai 

2 vietnam

3 lao

4 cambodia

5 phillipines?

did i miss any. havent been to burma.  but i suspect its good their.

you keep poo pooing massage as if its an ugly art?  its healthy and good for you.  the training they recieve is from experience.  its up to me to find the good one. i have a lady i use in bkk now that just cant wait to come back to shes that good.   when i find one i like i stay with them until they move.  but for you to keep critisizing massage . im not sure what to say but i feel massage in this part of the world is the best in the world

4 hours ago, yogavnture said:

charlie h.  my massage lady gives me better adjustments than a chiropractor and she has no training.  school of hard knocks.  versus school of just wanting to make money.  let me be clear, in my opinion southeast asia especially   in this order.....

1 thai 

2 vietnam

3 lao

4 cambodia

5 phillipines?

did i miss any. havent been to burma.  but i suspect its good their.

you keep poo pooing massage as if its an ugly art?  its healthy and good for you.  the training they recieve is from experience.  its up to me to find the good one. i have a lady i use in bkk now that just cant wait to come back to shes that good.   when i find one i like i stay with them until they move.  but for you to keep critisizing massage . im not sure what to say but i feel massage in this part of the world is the best in the world

I am not "poo pooing" massage . What I find very wrong is the application and distinct lack of training and therefore possibly dangerous results for the unsuspecting tourist. In my opinion thos places have no clue about contraindications, hygeine or ethics.

But hey, if you enjoy it, good for you, I hope you dont end up with eczema or worse any time soon. You have no idea of the potential dangers those people can inflict.

They ask nothing !! Absolute zero about the person before commencing the treatment and contortions on limbs and joints.

20 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I am not "poo pooing" massage . What I find very wrong is the application and distinct lack of training and therefore possibly dangerous results for the unsuspecting tourist. In my opinion thos places have no clue about contraindications, hygeine or ethics.

But hey, if you enjoy it, good for you, I hope you dont end up with eczema or worse any time soon. You have no idea of the potential dangers.

Sounds very negative. Youd never drive a car if you are worried about danger.

5 minutes ago, BigKahuna said:

Sounds very negative. Youd never drive a car if you are worried about danger.

How profound !!

I take my health and the placing of it in someones hands more seriously, and so should you. 

11 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Comparing it to roads or traffic is just ridiculous. 

Ok then compare it to other hobbies like gardening or rock fishing or going out to restaurants.

Millions get infected every year from touching restaurant or pub door handles.

Millions get food poisoning.

Thai massage means customers wear long pants and shirts. The risk of infection is very very low.

11 minutes ago, BigKahuna said:

Ok then compare it to other hobbies like gardening or rock fishing or going out to restaurants.

Millions get infected every year from touching restaurant or pub door handles.

Millions get food poisoning.

Thai massage means customers wear long pants and shirts. The risk of infection is very very low.

So now you conveniently add "thai"  to the front, where clothing is worn, well done.

Previously it was the general term "massage" that was discussed.

The fact remains in either case contraindications are important. If you want to switch to "Thai massage" and the manipulation of joints and limbs thats a whole different but even worse scenario. 

8 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

So now you conveniently add "thai"  to the front, where clothing is worn, well done.

Previously it was the general term "massage" that was discussed.

The fact remains in either case contraindications are important. If you want to switch to "Thai massage" and the manipulation of joints and limbs thats a whole different but even worse scenario. 

So you have never had a Thai massage?

Add that to the zero facts you have presented.

"After a trip to Thailand, where he received the massage, the patient showed up to his local emergency room, barely able to walk and complaining of severe back pain. The trouble had started shortly after his massage, which wasn’t exactly your traditional rubdown — it involved bending, twisting, and stepping on his back and waist. His diagnosis: spinal subdural hematoma, or a blood clot between his spinal cord and the tough, leathery membrane surrounding it, says Richard Senelick, M.D., a neurologist and medical director of The Rehabilitation Institute of San Antonio." 

Just now, CharlieH said:

"After a trip to Thailand, where he received the massage, the patient showed up to his local emergency room, barely able to walk and complaining of severe back pain. The trouble had started shortly after his massage, which wasn’t exactly your traditional rubdown — it involved bending, twisting, and stepping on his back and waist. His diagnosis: spinal subdural hematoma, or a blood clot between his spinal cord and the tough, leathery membrane surrounding it, says Richard Senelick, M.D., a neurologist and medical director of The Rehabilitation Institute of San Antonio." 

So thats 1 person.

Any real stats to post?

Just now, CharlieH said:

I am not here to provide you with stats, if you want those go "google it".

I am giving my opinion basef on my knowledge and experience of the subject.

So after half a massage you know more than people who have done it hundreds of times?

Ok sure.

No stats and half a massage.

Wow 555

"Over a period of five weeks, study participants received a Swedish massage—characterized by long, flowing strokes—once or twice a week. Compared to those who didn’t get the lucky task of getting massaged in the name of science, those who received massage therapy had lower levels of stress hormones, including cortisol. They also experienced big changes in immunity, including increased counts of white blood cells, which play a key role in fending off illness and infection."

prevention.com

Firstly I never said it was "bad" I commented with my opinion on the dangers of unqualified practitioners and potential hazzards.

Your "example" is of "swedish" massage which is entirely different to Thai massage and you gave a "benefit"which we were not even discussing.