requirements for converting a non o immigrant visa from Laos into a retirement visa (waiting less than 90 days)

I have now  a non O  immigrant visa obtained from the Royal thai Embassy in Vientienne

<defamatory text deleted>

I contacted  a visa service in Vientienne and  for  a fee of 6000 baht I got my  Non -O-non immigrant visa that included  all fees

Now I am back in Thailand  and must wait less than 90 days to get the  non O  immigrant visa  converted into a retirement visa

By then my letter from the  embassy has  its  function  after 6 month expired

Do I  have to have proof of  800 000 baht

Combined  and  3 months  seasoned in my account  in a   Thai bank?

any comment is appreciated

BTW the non immigrant O visa issued  at the Thai  embassy in Vientienne was  obtained  by showing my wifes ID card ( copy) and my married  certificate

no proof of money was required, I had to show copies of my passport only and  my  tabian baan  and I  copied my ID card for  Foreigners as well and submitted it and 4 passport pictures

all papers I had to  verify  with my signatures

the  6000 baht were well spend as  a man  also using the  visa service had to pay somebody 20.000 baht to get his visa

Sorry, that's  a rather long post

Edited by Maestro
Deleted defamatory part of the post.

Depending on the office that you use for your extension you can apply 30 days before the expiration of your permission to stay, some offices allow 45.

At the time that you apply, the letter from the embassy can not be older than 6 months.  If you are using the combination method, income + bank deposit, most offices do not require the money in the bank to be seasoned.  But, there are a couple that do and since it is the first extension on your current visa I really don't know if it is 60 or 90 days.  I don't know whether they would look back and count your previous extensions.

Hind sight is 20/20, but you should have gone to immigration in Thailand and applied for a 60 day extension because you are married to a Thai rather than get a new Non "O", maybe you did.

What office do you use?

7 hours ago, kraxlhuber said:

By then my letter from the  embassy has  its  function  after 6 month expired

If the income letter is more than 6 months old on the date you apply for the extension (there is no conversion) based upon retirement it will not be accepted. You can get another letter from your embassy to prove a income of 65K baht to apply for the extension of stay.

• Like 1

I just did mine in Chonburi.

Since you are married to a Thai, you only need proof of 400,000bht in bank ( or equivalent income) not 800,000bht.

Apart from letter from bank ( in my case) I had to show bank book showing transactions etc to prove I was using the account etc.

also, need proof of address in Thailand . I have my own condo, so have Chanoot and Yellow book, but still had to have a letter from the condo office to say that I actually live in my own condo !!!

All Immigration offices have there own requirements I think, so check with them.

37 minutes ago, anfh said:

Since you are married to a Thai, you only need proof of 400,000bht in bank ( or equivalent income) not 800,000bht.

If he wants an extension based on retirement it's still baht 800,000 or baht 65,000 monthly income or a combination of the two. He didn't say he wanted an extension based on marriage.

You can go get your extension anytime before the 90 days, so do it before your six mo. embassy letter expires. One other thing to think about is having your extension start during the least likely time of year that you would not be in country to renew it. Mine is in February when I'm sure I will always want to be here.

4 hours ago, ThaiWai said:

You are not converting to a "retirement visa" you are applying for an extension of stay based on returement. Get it straight.

Why be so pedantic ?? Does it really matter ? Everyone on her understands exactly what he meant !!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

If he wants an extension based on retirement it's still baht 800,000 or baht 65,000 monthly income or a combination of the two. He didn't say he wanted an extension based on marriage.

Yes, I know what he said, I was merely adding advice etc . He may actually not know he can just get a marriage extension . 

Why be so pedantic ?? Does it really matter ? Everyone on her understands exactly what he meant !!!

It matters a lot.
Saves a lot of confusion to get it right.

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 4:10 AM, wayned said:

Depending on the office that you use for your extension you can apply 30 days before the expiration of your permission to stay, some offices allow 45.

At the time that you apply, the letter from the embassy can not be older than 6 months.  If you are using the combination method, income + bank deposit, most offices do not require the money in the bank to be seasoned.  But, there are a couple that do and since it is the first extension on your current visa I really don't know if it is 60 or 90 days.  I don't know whether they would look back and count your previous extensions.

Hind sight is 20/20, but you should have gone to immigration in Thailand and applied for a 60 day extension because you are married to a Thai rather than get a new Non "O", maybe you did.

What office do you use?

Mae Sai

I tried to get an extension for my previous  retirement visa  but it was denied  because  th  800 000 baht  ( combined) was not enough ( error of bank as they did not  see the  last  entrance in my bankbook as  I misplaced it) and not 3 months in the bank

to update to the last  entrance of  a savings account you must  pay  say 500 baht and then that amount  updates the book or else  it will always show the  last line

I could not use  the married (visa) option as my wife  has left the house and is not willing to go with me to the immigration in Mae Sai  anymore

Now I  can do again a retirement visa  optional, and can extend the visa as well and  get an extension after  about  less than 90 days

do I have to have  800 000baht in the bank for  3 months?/BRGDS

johann

21 minutes ago, kraxlhuber said:

Mae Sai

I tried to get an extension for my previous  retirement visa  but it was denied  because  th  800 000 baht  ( combined) was not enough ( error of bank as they did not  see the  last  entrance in my bankbook as  I misplaced it) and not 3 months in the bank

to update to the last  entrance of  a savings account you must  pay  say 500 baht and then that amount  updates the book or else  it will always show the  last line

I could not use  the married (visa) option as my wife  has left the house and is not willing to go with me to the immigration in Mae Sai  anymore

Now I  can do again a retirement visa  optional, and can extend the visa as well and  get an extension after  about  less than 90 days

do I have to have  800 000baht in the bank for  3 months?/BRGDS

johann

BTW I lost the last bankbook but have copied previously all pages but  hhr  immigration officer in Mae sai did not accept the  Xeroxed  pages  of my last bank book and I am trying now to get from K bank  a replacement book or get the  Xeroxed  pages ( of the  bankbook) certified by the bank

I have since a new  bank passbook but the immigration  wants to see the original book.

Nit-pickers par excellence they are

Now I need  my money from my bank to live but have to season it again for 3 months ( or less) if I appy for an retirement visa ( combination of  income and saving and I  have to request  again from the  embassy  a letter  stating my income  from abroad

Edited by kraxlhuber

7 hours ago, Ubonquest said:

Would you share which visa service you used in Vientiane? And did you have to provide the Medical and Police records?

a fly by night  one man outfit ouside the Thai embassy aving one table and a chair and wants 6000 baht for his  service,  all he wanted  was  copies of my passport, my Tabian baan  ID card of my wife, a police clearance record (forensic) and no medical report  which all I have recently aqcuired as the embassy  employee  wanted to see the reports on my previous  application 3 weeks  earlier.

Its true, that when you apply  for a visa  in a 3rd country  you must show the  (recent) medical report from a hospital and the  police  clearance report  also the employee wanted me to write  a Resume and have it all certified  by the Ministry of consular affairs in Bangkok

I am pretty much fed up with all the  requirements just to get a  visa. I live in Thailand ,come and go as I worked the oilfield  around the world and spend my days-off in Thailand .

Edited by kraxlhuber
errors of spelling

15 hours ago, anfh said:

Yes, I know what he said, I was merely adding advice etc . He may actually not know he can just get a marriage extension . 

Hah, the old  bag  has run away with an younger guy after she sold  all our property inclusive my car  a Pajero Mitsubishi ( which means in the Portuguese language ( <deleted>) and  cleared my bankaccount and  did not left enough dough for  me to get  an visa extension based on retirement

8 hours ago, Ubonquest said:

Would you share which visa service you used in Vientiane? And did you have to provide the Medical and Police records?

The  guy  with his fly by night outfit,  a table  and a chair  outside the Thai Embassy in Vientienne said to me  all the  requests of the Embassy official are  Hogwash, no police  clearance or medical or  Resume   are needed  for a  retirement or marriage  visa  but on my  previous  attempt   in march 4, 2017 a embassy employee handed to me  a  small  piece of paper  stating the  foresaid  requirements,  I understand  if one s  applied  for a edu or  work visa , yes thats  justified  but for  an  retiree to ask for an police clearance and  a hospital check up report and  a CV/Resume" that beats it all

Edited by kraxlhuber

16 hours ago, anfh said:

I have  acquired  a  non O immigrant Visa in the  Thai Embassy in Vientienne

I drove my car from Chiang Rai to Nong Kai  and  had  2 almost fatal  accidents on the way, No, I was a blown tyre and the second was  a rock on the roar which I hit at night, I almost can do with some guesswork of  members this   is  a forum  and giving good advises not criticise members , I did more visas  and extension in the last 40 years  here in Thailand  thanks no thanks , some members better be MUM if they are not sure  of their  advises

21 hours ago, anfh said:

I just did mine in Chonburi.

Apart from letter from bank ( in my case) I had to show bank book showing transactions etc to prove I was using the account etc.

also, need proof of address in Thailand . I have my own condo, so have Chanoot and Yellow book, but still had to have a letter from the condo office to say that I actually live in my own condo !!!

All Immigration offices have there own requirements I think, so check with them.

why  have  some  immigration offices their own requirement one shoe fits  all I guess

I have also the new  ID card  for  foreigners  as the yellow Tabian baan book is  obsolete also the  Thai  for  foreigners  health card is  useless

so you were at the embassy to obtain a non immigrant 'O' visa based on a Thai wife, so instead of paying 2000 baht to the embassy, you paid an 'agent' sitting in a chair outside 6000 baht for the same thing.

if you had gone to Savannakhet you could of obtained a multi entry non immigrant 'O' visa based on Thai wife for 5,000 baht, this would have been good for 90 days permission to stay stamp on each entry for 1 year,  giving you a possible 15 months to sort out the financials for an extension within Thailand based on 'retirement'.  The extension could have been done in the last 30 days of any entry.

no financials or medical letter required

Edited by steve187
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, steve187 said:

so you were at the embassy to obtain a non immigrant 'O' visa based on a Thai wife, so instead of paying 2000 baht to the embassy, you paid an 'agent' sitting in a chair outside 6000 baht for the same thing.

if you had gone to Savannakhet you could of obtained a multi entry non immigrant 'O' visa based on Thai wife for 5,000 baht, this would have been good for 90 days permission to stay stamp on each entry for 1 year,  giving you a possible 15 months to sort out the financials for an extension within Thailand based on 'retirement'.  The extension could have been done in the last 30 days of any entry.

good post making nails  with heads,  I was denied  a marriage visa   at the  embassy in laos because the wife was not with me, 

now the aGENT  sitting outside  worked  wonders , me, only showing the  married  certificate  and a copy of it and  the wifes ID card  and pictures of me  and  6000 baht fee got me the  non O  immigrant visa, a good for  90 days  and I have to  ?? extend the visa  or convert it into another  catagorie, married of  retirement and I start now from square one,  must keep the money in the abnk for how long 2 month or  3 month  and how much do I have to show?,  have  a letter of income from my embassy  proofing that I have  a  pension at my home  country and  withdraw  money here in Thailand with my ATM card  and  the  combined differency of money is in  a thai bank

The Thai immigration  says in their website  that the  Non O visa  valid for will be  converted at the  immigration office   nearest my home, that I did  already for some years, always having in my savings  account  more tan 800.000 baht for 3 months, for some reasons  I did not have the money of 800 000 baht anymore ( combined method)and was told to go to Vientienne to obtain  a Non immigrant O visa return home and get it converted within 90 days

Edited by kraxlhuber
spelling errors

you need to obtain a proof of income letter, that amount needs to be added to money in a bank account in your name only, this needs to add up  800,000 baht, this money in bank does not need to be there ( seasoned) for any time offically, but some immigration offices with need the money to be seasoned for 3 months, ask at your local immigration office.

No nails either with heads or without.

you went to the wrong place in Lao, savannakhet would have issued with no problem.

Edited by steve187

• 1 month later...
On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:31 AM, steve187 said:

Steve, good  advise

this  a sad visa run and I hope not many other  member  suffered  at the hands of Thai officials  when trying to get a visa to stay with his family, but  my wife and I have  separated since December 2016 and she refuses to help me  with a married or any other  visa, if she doesn't help me  how I can support my 2 children  who depend on me?/

over the last 22 years I  did many extensions  to stay.

What is my situation now,

My financial requirements  application.

Catch 22,  I am now in Bangkok trying to sorting things  out regarding a new  Non O visa  as the one from Laos  is  expiring on 6th of July( amply time  I Guess.

Unfortunately my first application in march 2016 at the Thai embassy  for  a non o visa  was denied, on reason that I must have  a police clearance ( Thailand) and  a new  medical report from a Thai Hospital .

So I went back to Udon Thani and  waited  for 16 days for the police report but was  afraid  my new  application for a non O  will be denied  again for  whatever  reason. I am  German and 72 years old  and live in Thailand for  over 22 years

hence I  paid the agent sitting outside the embassy 6000 baht for  assistance, he  asked me for   the ID card of the wife and the married  certificate,

At the Mae Sai immigration I  was sdenied  a visa extension or  a new visa  as my wife was not with me  at the first application time in February 2016, I was told to leave Thailand  and get   new non  O visa  abroad, so I drove alone for  14 hours  in my car to Nong Kai  ( had in between a blown rear tire and  was almost killed) tried my luck, in Vientienne Laos at the Thai embassy

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 7:12 AM, steve187 said:

you need to obtain a proof of income letter, that amount needs to be added to money in a bank account in your name only, this needs to add up  800,000 baht, this money in bank does not need to be there ( seasoned) for any time offically, but some immigration offices with need the money to be seasoned for 3 months, ask at your local immigration office.

No nails either with heads or without.

you went to the wrong place in Lao, savannakhet would have issued with no problem.

steve,  but there are  many heads  with nails in them

Just now, kraxlhuber said:

I was aware of the combination method of  800.000 Baht  and  had prepared  the income letter from my embassy ( difficult to get as the official insisted that all documents. must be original, I got the  income letter from the consulate in Chiang Mai !! no questions  asked, had to provide  Bank statements from my bank in Germany and  the  money in my Thai bank for  3 month seasoning.

That was  a  horror trip to get a simple non o visa  which is now getting expired as  my passport has all pages  full of  stamps due the 2 times  border-crossing into Laos and  entering Thailand again.

On top of all that someone drew  30 000 baht from my bank account  and I don't have the continuity of the bank-deposit anymore  have  since topped up my  bank account ( the next day  after I got the SMS fom my bank about the withdrawal)  and I  don't know  how I get an extension as   I must get a new  non O, possible in Cambodia  as I stay now in Bangkok with my children who study here its  a sad SAGA

14 minutes ago, kraxlhuber said:

Steve , bear in mind I live in Chiang Rai, I posted in January in the TV  but got  vage  advises  and I never had to bother with border visa runs, now I got  a hand- ful of them

19 minutes ago, kraxlhuber said:

Steve, good  advise

this  a sad visa run and I hope not many other  member  suffered  at the hands of Thai officials  when trying to get a visa to stay with his family, but  my wife and I have  separated since December 2016 and she refuses to help me  with a married or any other  visa, if she doesn't help me  how I can support my 2 children  who depend on me?/

over the last 22 years I  did many extensions  to stay.

What is my situation now,

My financial requirements  application.

Catch 22,  I am now in Bangkok trying to sorting things  out regarding a new  Non O visa  as the one from Laos  is  expiring on 6th of July( amply time  I Guess.

Unfortunately my first application in march 2016 at the Thai embassy  for  a non o visa  was denied, on reason that I must have  a police clearance ( Thailand) and  a new  medical report from a Thai Hospital .

So I went back to Udon Thani and  waited  for 16 days for the police report but was  afraid  my new  application for a non O  will be denied  again for  whatever  reason. I am  German and 72 years old  and live in Thailand for  over 22 years

hence I  paid the agent sitting outside the embassy 6000 baht for  assistance, he  asked me for   the ID card of the wife and the married  certificate,

At the Mae Sai immigration I  was sdenied  a visa extension or  a new visa  as my wife was not with me  at the first application time in February 2016, I was told to leave Thailand  and get   new non  O visa  abroad, so I drove alone for  14 hours  in my car to Nong Kai  ( had in between a blown rear tire and  was almost killed) tried my luck, in Vientienne Laos at the Thai embassy

No married visa  anywhere  if the wife is not present to sign the papers for the visa, so I was told in Mae Sai and in Vientienne, Have you tried  that or any othe member of TV??

Guess not b' cause it wont work, no wife present- no visa Bingo

Just now, kraxlhuber said:

No married visa  anywhere  if the wife is not present to sign the papers for the visa, so I was told in Mae Sai and in Vientienne, Have you tried  that or any othe member of TV??

Guess not b' cause it wont work, no wife present- no visa Bingo

I went today to and  travel agent here in Bangkok, name withhold)  and asked what I can do to et  anew  non o as  soon as I got my new passport in about19 days, she  said to me , no worries Ill help you BUT its a bit costly and takes up to ten days, no border crossing needed only 29.000 baht to hand over and then some more  2500 baht for  and 30 day extension  in case my present via  is  expiring during the application  process.

My non O visa  for Thailand is still valid for another 40 days and I have to hurry up to get a new  non O, ( retirement visa) also I was told that as of now its difficult to get a multible entrance  visa for  whatever, maye somebody wants us t get out and not come back to LOS for any reason any advise?