A General Note about Thai People

autanic

I will shortly be leaving Thailand for pastures new, but would like to share my insight into some of the Thai People I have met, so that the uninitiated do not fall foul of the customs and ways of the average commoner they may stumble across.

1. Always show respect to the Thai Royal Family, bow gently from the head, while putting your hands together as if to pray (catholic way), when you see a picture/photo or image of the Royal Family, especially the King.

If Thais see you showing respect, they are likely to show you respect and generally that is the best place to start. 

2. Never show the soles of your feet. Now this is something that can easily be avoided, just do not put your feet up anywhere. It means nothing to us, but to some Thais it is deeply insulting.

3. Avoid raising your voice.  It is seen as impolite to raise to ones voice and it rarely garners the desired effect. If you want to be heard raise your right hand almost in a Hitler fashion and speak slowly and quietly. 

4. Make use of TukTuks there inexpensive and can manage traffic better than taxis. 

5. Always use a Lawyer. Buying a house, car or marrying your squeeze. Get a Lawyer !  They are invaluable in Thailand.

6. Do not compare life in Thailand to back home. Its impossible !!!  Think of Thailand as a land of hopeful fools. Why because even though 10% of what they promise actually comes true, they genuinely do mean well at the beginning.

7. Do not judge Thai People. It is easy to think you are somehow entitled. Yes you bought a ticket, yes you have a few million baht, but at the end of the day, they are doing there best. Do not judge.

8. Do not rent Jet skis, Cars, Moped, Bikes or Homes. There are scammers in every society,

9. Stay safe, use your instincts. If it feels wrong, then it probably is.

10 Finally, remember one thing and this is the most important point. IT IS THEIR COUNTRY NOT YOURS !

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, autanic said:

Think of Thailand as a land of hopeful fools. Why because even though 10% of what they promise actually comes true, they genuinely do mean well at the beginning.

Very true. Might be being a bit generous with the 10% though.

"Never show the soles of your feet. Now this is something that can easily be avoided, just do not put your feet up anywhere. It means nothing to us, but to some Thais it is deeply insulting."

Did you read this in a guidebook? Thais put their feet on sofas, peoples shoulders. Amongst friends they do whatever.

I can see why you are leaving. You have no Thai friends.

55 minutes ago, BigKahuna said:

"Never show the soles of your feet. Now this is something that can easily be avoided, just do not put your feet up anywhere. It means nothing to us, but to some Thais it is deeply insulting."

Did you read this in a guidebook? Thais put their feet on sofas, peoples shoulders. Amongst friends they do whatever.

I can see why you are leaving. You have no Thai friends.

I want some clarity on this as an avid leg crosser and my foot is say 4 inches from floor at a 50 degree angle is my sole. Say when I'm in the barbers. Is that falling foul or is that ok?

2 hours ago, BigKahuna said:

Do not rent a home or a bike? Why?

I think it is quite obvious why you should not rent a bike, unless of course you are an experienced rider and have proper insurance, but don't any smart ass say that if you cannot afford to buy a house, then don't live in Thailand. That is the same idiotic thinking some have that if you cannot afford to have 800.000 Bt in your bank account, you cannot afford to live here.

9 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I think it is quite obvious why you should not rent a bike, unless of course you are an experienced rider and have proper insurance, but don't any smart ass say that if you cannot afford to buy a house, then don't live in Thailand. That is the same idiotic thinking some have that if you cannot afford to have 800.000 Bt in your bank account, you cannot afford to live here.

Rather blanket statement. Renting in bike in a quiet spot like Prachuap or Lanta is totally different to a busy city. Telling people not to rent bikes at all is nonsense.

And foreigners cant buy land without a company structure. Condos can go down in value and take months to sell if not popular location.

I wonder if the OP made money on the property he owned after costs? He didnt say.

Renting at a cheap price is far less risky and more flexible than buying.

Some people may own a property overseas which 1 generates money and 2 offers more growth.

"Do not compare life in Thailand to back home. Its impossible !!!  Think of Thailand as a land of hopeful fools. Why because even though 10% of what they promise actually comes true, they genuinely do mean well at the beginning."

Again why not? Either its better, worse or about the same.

Who are these people making promises? Who means well?

Some odd advice on here.

11 minutes ago, BigKahuna said:

Rather blanket statement. Renting in bike in a quiet spot like Prachuap or Lanta is totally different to a busy city. Telling people not to rent bikes at all is nonsense.

And foreigners cant buy land without a company structure. Condos can go down in value and take months to sell if not popular location.

I wonder if the OP made money on the property he owned after costs? He didnt say.

Renting at a cheap price is far less risky and more flexible than buying.

Some people may own a property overseas which 1 generates money and 2 offers more growth.

Some good points here, but I did not know you could rent motorbikes outside of tourist areas, even so, still a big risk with so many underage and dangerous riders unless you are an experienced rider.

On 4/10/2017 at 6:57 AM, autanic said:

Why because even though 10% of what they promise actually comes true,

Still better than Donald Trump and probably better than the promises made by farang to the boys & girls they've traveled here to meet before moving on the greener pastures.

On 4/10/2017 at 6:57 AM, autanic said:

would like to share my insight

Most of your advice sounds like a mother telling her somewhat clueless children to behave themselves without much hope that they know how.

Edited by Suradit69

OP I hope you have a good life. We live our life's as we see fit. I don't use lawyers if I can avoid it, if I compare its not to bring down the country but trying to improve it, if I show my soles it's by accident but it happens, I judge Thai people the same as I do any other person and it is not only "their" country I am living here and pay taxes here and I call myself Thai by adoption.

A solicitor needs to process the paperwork.  

Writing I own it on the back on your hand not so good.

Bought both condos with paperwork.. So no you do not need a solicitor

You think thais pay for solicitors?

Again I repeat for those that were duped into using a lawyer

. NO!

However feel free to donate 20k the lawyer won't tell you that you don't him lol

On 10/04/2017 at 7:06 AM, kowpot said:

Very good advice. But, I disagree on the issue of renting a house. I (IMHO) think at least I am better off renting than owning. I have the freedom to move around at my will. 

I thought that Will was the Zulu Warrior who got shot first at Rork's Drift................the order given, as the Zulus advanced was.......FIRE AT WILL!

43 minutes ago, Ijustcashier said:

Bought both condos with paperwork.. So no you do not need a solicitor

You think thais pay for solicitors?

Again I repeat for those that were duped into using a lawyer

. NO!

However feel free to donate 20k the lawyer won't tell you that you don't him lol

You understand Thai script? Buying a property without a solicitor is high risk and 20,000 baht is peanuts.