Re-entry Permit SCAM - don't fall for it

18 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

If the OP is worried about 200 baht for a service, perhaps he should not be here.

It depends on the service. I can fill a form myself and already have passport photos.

200 THB multiplied by the number of applications per month or year could add up to 1.2M THB per month or 14.6M THB per year of revenue, based on 200 applications per 24h (or around 8 per hour). I think I saw 4 people use the agent service during the 15 or so minutes that I applied and got my permit.

Would you be happy to help fund senior government officer(s)' next luxury mansion? Or would you rather not if you had the option, even though 200 THB may be a rather small amount to be bothered much about?

Edited by c0der

For me B200 vs going to CW is well worth it. The fee, including the B200, is receipted on proper paper and is an excellent service I've used many times.

I cannot believe someone is questioning the validity and use of this essential service!?

You cannot get a re-entry permit yourself at the airport.

I suggest the mods remove the title as it's misleading?

13 minutes ago, MichaelJohn said:

It appears that you haven't even read many of the posts in this thread that proves you wrong. And then you suggest moderation?

13 minutes ago, MichaelJohn said:

For me B200 vs going to CW is well worth it.

Even better is getting the permit at the airport without paying the 200 THB fee for photos and form completion.

Edited by c0der
  • Like 1

For me B200 vs going to CW is well worth it. The fee, including the B200, is receipted on proper paper and is an excellent service I've used many times.
I cannot believe someone is questioning the validity and use of this essential service!?

I suggest the mods remove the title as it's misleading?

Foot

In

MOUTH!

The country is in limbo when the minimum wage is at stake........300 =+ bath a day....8 hours of mostly hard work they earn.

Anyone describing a 2 minutes name and address signing a 200 bath worth service ,is  a simple fool!

Its a ram bam scam bang.period.

• Like 1

On 10/04/2017 at 2:47 PM, c0der said:

There is now a special desk at Suvarnabhumi Airport in the same large room as the immigration counters. This desk is in a corner before the queues. In addition to the expected re-entry permit fee, they demand an extra 200 THB for their "service".

I well and truly got caught by this, but i believe you are mistaken, they did charge me 200 baht but this was for the photos that they claimed had to be taken by them.

I personally would not be worried over 200 baht if i didn't have any photos on me, as they charge this price everywhere.

However as i had already gone to immigration in the airport to ask where the desk had gone.They promptly asked if i had any photos and then took some for the grand price of 200 baht.

Only for the desk to charge me again saying they had to be taken by them via their camera ( crap i know but the fact of the matter is, 200 baht for doing it at the airport and not paying for new photos to be made, is ok by me)

Now i know where the desk is haha

16 hours ago, c0der said:

As the agent service desk and employee uniforms are designed to look official government style, most people would instinctively be hesitant to freely walk past it. But now that you know that it is just an agency business, and the employees have no authority to control your movement, you can do so without fear, up to the no entry gate. The desk and room is just beside the gate. You could simply open it yourself (it's not even locked, I assume so that the agent service employees can easily hand over new applications all day and night), but in order not to break any rules, it's better to get permission first from an immigration officer nearby (or the one at the desk by simply calling out "hello").

It's very risky to walk past a 'no entry' gate at an airport. You're encouraging others to do this but have you tried it yourself?

16 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

It's very risky to walk past a 'no entry' gate at an airport.

That's why I said "in order not to break any rules, it's better to get permission first from an immigration officer nearby (or the one at the desk by simply calling out "hello")."

1 hour ago, c0der said:

That's why I said "in order not to break any rules, it's better to get permission first from an immigration officer nearby (or the one at the desk by simply calling out "hello")."

If it was that easy why didn't you do it? You're recommending other people do this but ignore everyone's questions about whether or not you did it. If it is a scam then the immigration officer is clearly in on it so what makes you think he wouldn't just ignore you or tell you to apply through the agents?

36 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

If it is a scam then the immigration officer is clearly in on it so what makes you think he wouldn't just ignore you or tell you to apply through the agents?

There could be a number of reasons. Maybe they don't want to be too overt in the scam, so for those who are able to see that the fake Re-Entry Permit desk is really just an agent service, they'll just let them go instead of forcing them through the agent (which can have negative consequences if there is resistance). If the deception rate is over 90% (it could even be 95% or more) then the operators can afford such small loss of income whilst keeping the scam smoothly running without problem.

Edited by c0der

1 hour ago, buick said:

when/if the deception rate falls below 80%, it may get difficult to get permission to pass the 'no entry' sign !!  they wont appreciate the reduced cash flow.....

It looks like a lot of people are quite happy to pay up, even after having read this thread. They and many thousands of others will ensure that the cashflow into the business owner(s) accounts won't diminish much.

From a more selfish perspective, as long as they continue to provide a permit to the minority who do not wish to use and pay for the agent service (and whom this discussion thread is for) then all sides can be happy and get on with their lives.

9 hours ago, Dene16 said:

I personally would not be worried over 200 baht if i didn't have any photos on me, as they charge this price everywhere.

No, they don't charge this price everywhere.

That's quite a day you had - overcharged for something then later asked to pay the same inflated price for the same thing again.

Now you know that you can bypass the agent service.

Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought the re-entry desk in immigration hall (that has been there for.....ever I guess) would generate a 6 page argument discussion.

Congrats to all.......

Have re entry permits been around forever?
What's wrong with information sharing, clearly many do not know where the office is and it's not the front desk

9 hours ago, Bundaberg Baxter said:

They are lying the photos do not have to be done by them, more evidence of a scam and any photo shop will do your pics for 100 baht

Another poster wrote that he got 12 pcs. for 7 baht. Your number comes a little closer....

On 4/11/2017 at 7:18 PM, c0der said:

It depends on the service. I can fill a form myself and already have passport photos.

200 THB multiplied by the number of applications per month or year could add up to 1.2M THB per month or 14.6M THB per year of revenue, based on 200 applications per 24h (or around 8 per hour). I think I saw 4 people use the agent service during the 15 or so minutes that I applied and got my permit.

Would you be happy to help fund senior government officer(s)' next luxury mansion? Or would you rather not if you had the option, even though 200 THB may be a rather small amount to be bothered much about?

From what I've seen so far on this thread, you appear to be trying to inflate your post count on TV. The 200 baht you are whinging about seems to be incidental.

48 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

you appear to be trying to inflate your post count on TV.

Why would I? Do post counts have monetary value? It's not something I even think about. But since you bring it up maybe it's you who is "trying to inflate your post count".

48 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

The 200 baht you are whinging about seems to be incidental.

"seems to be incidental"? That's a strange way to say "is a negligible amount".

As an analogy, think of a hacker who steals 1 THB from every bank account of the largest bank in Thailand. Let's say there are a million accounts. So even though most people wouldn't even notice the loss, and those who do won't care about losing 1 THB, the hacker gains 1M THB, which is not a small amount. If that happened once per month, most people still wouldn't care, yet that hacker would be earning  1M THB  per month or 12M THB per year, which is a great income.

So what you as an individual would think is negligible can add up to a substantial amount when applied on a large scale.

This deceptive operation of an agent service masquerading as an official government service is operating on a large scale with high success rate. The operators have been clever enough to set the fee low enough that most people won't question it much.

Edited by c0der

2 hours ago, c0der said:

...The operators have been clever enough to set the fee low enough that most people won't question it much.

But obviously not clever enough to prevent some people from attempting to make it into a major issue and repeating the claims ad nauseum.  

34 minutes ago, Bundaberg Baxter said:

Of course you can,  if you paste up pics in Photoshop or similar and get just one print with them on done, usually what I do.

No, sorry. It was about the post of a member who came up with the statement that he went to a photoshop and received 12 photos for 7 baht, instead of paying the horrendous sum of 200 baht.

I've got my own photoshop at home on my PC and do not need such a service. But should I've forgotten to print a few out, I do not mind to pay a few baht. Life's too short. 

It's quite understandable that you don't read all the great posts that make your legs feel so heavy..                Have a great Songkran. 

46 minutes ago, moe666 said:

A scam would be paying your money and not getting a re-entry permit

Or perhaps a girl who's telling you that she's pregnant from having "Sanook" with you, but her " brother- husband" had to work hard and made the baby. Lol. 

On each train is an idiot. An old saying where I'm from.......:shock1:

1 hour ago, CMBob said:

But obviously not clever enough to prevent some people from attempting to make it into a major issue and repeating the claims ad nauseum.  

There's always going to be someone raising an issue or complaining about just about anything at some point in time, it can't be avoided. But I'm surprised it took so long for this one (an agent service pretending to be the one and only official Re-Entry Permit desk, whilst the real one is hiding nearby). I couldn't find any information about it on the forums here (which is why I started this thread). I assume it has fooled almost everyone for so long up to now and still does as we write.

1 hour ago, moe666 said:

A scam would be paying your money and not getting a re-entry permit

... as is being deceived into thinking that you are at the real Re-Entry Permit desk and that there is no option but to pay the extra fee for photo and form completion service.