Re-entry Permit SCAM - don't fall for it

3 minutes ago, ddavidovsky said:

Just to be clear, is the immigration office in the main hall (on the left side near the baggage place) no longer there? I used to be able to get re-entry permits there for 1000 and no service charge.

No it's moved back to immigration hall about Dec 2016.

On the pro side: no more closing time, 24h.

I always understood that the 1000+200 includes taking your photo and attaching to the form.

And as always such a photo device can be defect.

Always travel with photos just in case.

Not sure that it's worth 200 baht to fill in a couple of forms, in a country where the daily wage is only 300 baht. The land transport department charged me only 10 Baht for a similar service. 

Airports have a captive audience, so profiteer on pretty much everything they sell.

That's the minimum daily wage for illiterate construction workers.

I doubt they could even write let alone fill out a form for you [emoji3]

11 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

was at CM immigration today--ONE damn girl checking everyones

paperwork....really..on a monday???

the kid next to me had too small a pic--they denied him--he had to

pay 200 baht for new one...i had it done at the local shop--12 pics for 7 baht!

Needless to say that photo guy is making a killing--welcome to thailand!

So it's a scam, making a killing because the photo did not comply with the regulations.

Next, it's a scam / making a killing because it's raining?

15 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I always understood that the 1000+200 includes taking your photo and attaching to the form.

Perhaps that was the original intention, then they realised they could get way with applying it to everyone because of all the gullible folk (such as most people in this thread) who invent justifications for paying because they don't want to look cheap over 200 baht.

There are people saying 'they don't have to provide this service', but then they don't have to insist on a re-entry permit at all either. As they do insist on this, which is pure revenue-generation, they should certainly make it possible to get one without a half-day traipse to Chaeng Wattana.

It's definitely a scam to pay more than the official fee for no extra service. For permits issued outside the hours of the old immigration office, then a service charge is reasonable. But it sounds like they are hitting everyone with it now.

Appreciate the OP mentioning this.

Edited by ddavidovsky

3 minutes ago, Ijustcashier said:

I doubt they could even write let alone fill out a form for you emoji3.png

No it is the salary for anyone doing hotel work, shop clerk, and assorted other so called entry level work

23 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Are you serious, or are you pulling my leg?

I've managed a business in Thailand, employing 60 people in a factory, as well as finance and admin, customer service and sales. What are your credentials?

A small minority of the Thai workforce as a whole - supervisory, managerial and professional staff - get paid a great deal more than 300 Baht BUT we are not talking about such people when we talk about people who fill in forms. They are rank and file, who make up the majority of the Thai workforce, and they do get paid 300 Baht as an entry level. Hence, since I was referring to a group, it was a reasonable statement of fact to say that such people get wages of 300 Baht. So, I wasn't 'insinuating' anything, I was stating it.

On to your next point, that a business needs to make a profit, this is indeed true BUT gross margin for contracted temporary labour is no more than around the 100% mark (which leaves around 75% after SG&A). In this case, however, the gross margin is:

Assuming it takes a very generous 5 minutes to fill in a form,

* That's 12 forms per hour, lets call it 10 forms to allow for down time

* The revenue per hour would be 10 x 200 = 2,000 Baht

* The labour cost for that hour would be 300 Baht per day divided by 8 hours worked = 37.5 Baht

* The gross margin would therefore be (2000/37.5) x 100 = 5,333% an ENORMOUS profit by any measure and one that is impossible to justify when the same service costs 10 Baht at the land transport department (because it actually takes a lot less that 5 minutes to fill in a form.

In what way does a 5,333% gross margin on a form filling service, which is secondary to the main revenue earner (the Re-entry Permit) seem reasonable to you?

"... 300 Baht per day..."

Just a bit out of date.

1 minute ago, ddavidovsky said:

Perhaps that was the original intention, then they realised they could get way with applying it to everyone because of all the gullible folk (such as most people in this threat) who invent justifications for paying because they don't want to look cheap over 200 baht.

There are people saying 'they don't have to provide this service', but then they don't have to insist on a re-entry permit at all either. As they do insist on this, which is pure revenue-generation, they should certainly make it possible to get one without a half-day traipse to Chaeng Wattana.

It's definitely a scam to pay more than the official fee for no extra service. For permits issued outside the hours of the old immigration office, then a service charge is reasonable. Bit it sounds like they are hitting everyone with it now.

Appreciate the OP mentioning this.

Everyone no just the people who require one for a return trip.

So it's a scam, making a killing because the photo did not comply with the regulations.

Next, it's a scam / making a killing because it's raining?

I even got scammed at the Australian embassy for not accepting my photo and got scammed at the photo shop for the dud photo. [emoji30]

14 hours ago, NanLaew said:

What part of a nominal charge for emergency service to enable urgent travel is going over your pretty little head?

Typically, the desk isn't busy during the week since regular travelers have taken the time to get their re-entry permit at their local immigration office but it does tend to see more customers at weekends.

Yes and if I ever need this emergency service I will be damned glad its there, I doubt space in the airport is cheap, 200 baht no problem.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NanLaew said:

What part of a nominal charge for emergency service to enable urgent travel is going over your pretty little head?

This part: we used to be able to get re-entry permits at the airport for the official fee.

You've been nicely duped by the 'emergency service' thing.

3 minutes ago, ddavidovsky said:

This part: we used to be able to get re-entry permits at the airport for the official fee.

When?

The 200 baht  fee has been charged at Suvarnabhumi for a many years now. 

• Like 1

How much rent might this private company pay? A lot I would guess.  Maybe they should eliminate this office and keep the one officer there to fill everything out for those who haven't while these winers wait in line.

31 minutes ago, Ijustcashier said:

I doubt they could even write let alone fill out a form for you emoji3.png

Entry level clerical staff and interns are paid a similar rate as construction workers. 

1 hour ago, moe666 said:

What you and many people here do not realize this service is offered by immigration but they are not required to provide this service. Re-entry permits at the airport has been operational only about 10 years( please correct if wrong). It is much like the certificate of residency process not an immigration function, a few years ago people were complaining about the 500b fee immigration shut it down. If you wanted the certificate go to your local consulate and for 50 dollars they would give you one, now that is a scam but no one complained about the price.

I will eat my humble pie, it appears it once was a service offered then withdrawn, then reinstated in 2012 for the 200 baht fee: http://tastythailand.com/possible-to-get-re-entry-permit-at-suvarnabhumi-airport/

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

When?

The 200 baht  fee has been charged at Suvarnabhumi for a many years now. 

At the immigration office on the left side? Last one I got there was April 2016 - 1000 baht, no service charge.

If they ever asked for one there, it would be unofficial and you could simply refuse to pay it - just as you would surely normally do whenever they try it on. I might have simply forgotten, but I don't recall even being asked for 200 baht there for a re-entry.

I was once quietly asked for 200 baht baksheesh on a day's overstay at Suvarhanbhumi, which tells you how it is. I simply refused that, no problem.

It is only a service if one needs a photo or some other piece of documentation. Then one pays for the service.  The same as using an agent to process a 90 day report; an extension of stay etc. You can use an agent or the service counter at the airport- but you do not have to use either. You can do everything yourself for the official fee. The only point of difference at Swampy is that the re-entry official desk is not well delineated and I believe this is on purpose so people will use the service desk instead and pay the extra money.  Many things are like this in Thailand. I don't especially like paying 5 times the normal notary rate at the Us Embassy or having to pay almost double for an expedited Us passport. Luckily, the 'service charge' is reasonable. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ddavidovsky said:

It's the principle. And it's attitudes like yours which allows scammers to try it on all the time - even government officials. And then people complain about corruption...

Think we are talking about the price of a small beer at Swampy..The 200bht is not an under the table tea money payment.............facepalm.gif.86b3eaee1718b14ba381c47f11b75d22.gif

Wow. Totally confused about this now. Is it or is it not a scam?
For myself, if I did not already have a re-entry permit, 200 baht would be a small ( under $6.00!) price to pay for the convenience, versus spending most of a day and transportation costs, probably lunch out, etc., etc.
I WILL check to see if I have one, and if not will pick one up at the next must do trip for ninety day reporting and permission to stay renewal.
I do try to act like an adult now and then. :smile:

6 hours ago, crazygreg44 said:

myself, I am going to do a  3-week trip to visit my girlfriend by June this year. Then by October, I will again enter Thailand for a four month stay.

I am on a One-Year permit of stay on retirement purposes.  During my last extension in January, I wanted to save money and left the extension procedure with an only single re-entry permit.  So if I want to keep my extension live, i will have to buy another re-entry permit before I leave Thailand in June.

I got two choices:  Buy the re-rentry permit at the airport and pay 2100 THB, or do a 140 Kilometer trip by my own car to visit Sisaket Immigration, for a re-entry permit stamp at 1900 THB.

I guess you don't ask me why & which option I will choose to be the better one

What about when your gf has to report you living with her within 24 hours or you have to report yourself.You can go with her and do re entry then.

27 minutes ago, transam said:

Think we are talking about the price of a small beer at Swampy..The 200bht is not an under the table tea money payment.............facepalm.gif.86b3eaee1718b14ba381c47f11b75d22.gif

BTW, the service wasn't available a few years ago. Here are two photos of the place.

OP, are you talking about the same place?

On their website is nothing about a 200 baht fee and I assume that people who can use a computer are able to download the form themselves.

http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/en/1001-re-entry-visa

Is it possible that the fee is for people who don't have such a form?

Or are there two places where you can get your re-entry? 

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/form_tm8.pdf

Immigration arrival zone.jpg

Re entry II.jpg

Edited by ajarngreg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dbrenn said:

Are you serious, or are you pulling my leg?

I've managed a business in Thailand, employing 60 people in a factory, as well as finance and admin, customer service and sales. What are your credentials?

A small minority of the Thai workforce as a whole - supervisory, managerial and professional staff - get paid a great deal more than 300 Baht BUT we are not talking about such people when we talk about people who fill in forms. They are rank and file, who make up the majority of the Thai workforce, and they do get paid 300 Baht as an entry level. Hence, since I was referring to a group, it was a reasonable statement of fact to say that such people get wages of 300 Baht. So, I wasn't 'insinuating' anything, I was stating it.

On to your next point, that a business needs to make a profit, this is indeed true BUT gross margin for contracted temporary labour is no more than around the 100% mark (which leaves around 75% after SG&A). In this case, however, the gross margin is:

Assuming it takes a very generous 5 minutes to fill in a form,

* That's 12 forms per hour, lets call it 10 forms to allow for down time

* The revenue per hour would be 10 x 200 = 2,000 Baht

* The labour cost for that hour would be 300 Baht per day divided by 8 hours worked = 37.5 Baht

* The gross margin would therefore be (2000/37.5) x 100 = 5,333% an ENORMOUS profit by any measure and one that is impossible to justify when the same service costs 10 Baht at the land transport department (because it actually takes a lot less that 5 minutes to fill in a form.

In what way does a 5,333% gross margin on a form filling service, which is secondary to the main revenue earner (the Re-entry Permit) seem reasonable to you?

Your figures are based on farangs queueing up out the door,for 8 hours.This is not the case.What if nobody comes in that 8 hours.Somebody is down 300 baht.