Retirement Visa Quandary

I hold a UK passport and have been living and working in Thailand (with a Work Permit and a Non-Immigrant Visa) for a number of years. I will retire at the end of June and plan to continue to live here on a Non-Immigrant Visa. When I leave my job  I will receive a Retirement/Severance Package far in excess of 800,000 baht, but that money will not arrive in my bank account until my last day of work.  I understand that as soon as my work permit is surrendered I will be given some five days' grace period to, either leave the country or switch to being permitted to remain by virtue of being retired. However, as the 800,000 baht minimum will have been in my bank account for less than a week the second option will not be available.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the nearest Thai Embassy that will grant me a new Non-Immigrant visa..and what documents will I need to present.

I have already tried to get a bridging loan from my bank to no avail.

Savannakhet Laos and Penang Malaysia will issue a single entry non-o visa  for being 50 or over by showing the 800k baht in the bank but they also want some proof your are retired. If you had proof from your employer you are retired that should work.

Vientiane Laos will issue one with just the money in the bank but will want a medical certificate and police clearance certificate for Thailand.

You could also leave and re-enter the country on a 30 day visa exempt entry and apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) ) entry at some  immigration offices. You would need to have 15 days remaining on the entry or the 30 day extension of it. You would need to show the 800k baht in bank and proof that its source is from your severance package.

You could then apply for the extension based upon retirement during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa. The funds would need to be in the bank for 60 days on the date you apply.

4 minutes ago, freebornjohn said:

Thanks very much ubonjoe for a swift and clear response. I assume that the medical certificate that is needed by the Vientiane Embassy is the same as has been required when I have renewed my visa every year.

Either the same as you have been getting or the one for a driver's license.

The police certificate can applied for in Bangkok. Info here: http://www.pcscenter.sb.police.go.th/eng/

"I understand that as soon as my work permit is surrendered I will be given some five days' grace period to, either leave the country or switch to being permitted to remain by virtue of being retired."

Is this true?  I thought that an extension of stay for employment ends on your last day of work.

• 2 months later...

I am now looking forward to my retirement and my last day of working will be 30th June. There is a now a slight change in my plans.  I have been informed by my employer that the full amount of the money due to me will not be in my account until some time during the third week in July (no need to panic - I believe them - they are lawyers and would never lie to me). 

I will still have to leave the country and have made plans to go to Vientiane.  As I will be living in Udorn Thani I will be travelling and returning to Thailand overland. I understand that those travelling overland  are only granted a two-week visa on arrival. What type of visa will I be able to apply for without THB 800, 000  in the bank so that, when the money arrives, I can go to my local immigration office and apply for a visa that can then be extended on account of my retirement - and what documents will I be required to show at:

(i) The Thai Consulate in Vientiane?

(ii) My local immigration office?

14 minutes ago, freebornjohn said:

I will still have to leave the country and have made plans to go to Vientiane.  As I will be living in Udorn Thani I will be travelling and returning to Thailand overland. I understand that those travelling overland  are only granted a two-week visa on arrival. What type of visa will I be able to apply for without THB 800, 000  in the bank so that, when the money arrives, I can go to my local immigration office and apply for a visa that can then be extended on account of my retirement - and what documents will I be required to show at:

(i) The Thai Consulate in Vientiane?

(ii) My local immigration office?

If you cross the border and return without a visa you will get a 30 day visa exempt entry (not a visa on arrival). The 15 day entry rule was rescinded in January. You could then extend that 30 day entry for 30 days at immigration.

(I) You could apply for a single entry tourist visa in Vientiane. Nothing is needed other than your passport and application form.

To apply for the conversion to a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry the 800k baht only needs to be in the bank on the date you apply. You may need to prove the source of the 800k baht since one of the requirements is that the 800k came from abroad to apply for the visa. I suggest you check with Udon immigration to find out what their requirements are.

" I understand that as soon as my work permit is surrendered I will be given some five days' grace period to, either leave the country or switch to being permitted to remain by virtue of being retired."

Not true.  There is no grace period. 

4 hours ago, TerryLH said:

" I understand that as soon as my work permit is surrendered I will be given some five days' grace period to, either leave the country or switch to being permitted to remain by virtue of being retired."

Not true.  There is no grace period. 

But you can get a 7 day extension of stay.

7 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

But you can get a 7 day extension of stay.

Only if you go to immigration and apply for an extension of stay, which would be refused and 7 days given to leave the country, it certainly isn't automatic.

@freebornjohn

also possible to obtain a single entry tourist visa 60 days, have that extended at immigration by 30 days. thereafter leave thailand and obtain 30 days exempt visa 30 days by then after 120 days you ought be fine with money in the bank.

wbr

roobaa01