Stolen Bicycle gang

davemos

Hi All I've had 2 bicycles stolen in Phrakhanong and Rama 4 Both were gone in 60 secs! There appears to be a gang operating in the Sukhumvit area .Both bikes were locked and the people used bolt cutters .I saw a grey pickup but didn't get its plate .Beware !

I have   a REAL  lock I brought from the Uk the chain is extra hard non cuttable by  bolt  cutters hexagonal shape  steel, it was £160 for a 60cm length and the lock was a  similar  price..................but  no bicycle!! probably weighs  more than your Bike

The  only way to cut it would be an angle grinder, the stuff they sell here is  Mickey  Mouse steel and locks, A  bit impractical really even for a motorbike

1 hour ago, kannot said:

I have   a REAL  lock I brought from the Uk the chain is extra hard non cuttable by  bolt  cutters hexagonal shape  steel, it was £160 for a 60cm length and the lock was a  similar  price..................but  no bicycle!! probably weighs  more than your Bike

The  only way to cut it would be an angle grinder, the stuff they sell here is  Mickey  Mouse steel and locks, A  bit impractical really even for a motorbike

Had one in UK gave it to my son,  motorbike needs to be secured to concrete or thick steel post, remembered the review that it took some 15 mins to grind through chain, more when having change the cutting disc.

Theory was a thief wouldn't hang around that long, noise an all. :thumbsup:

The owner of a bicycle shop on Sukumvit spotted a similar pick-up/bolt cutter gang in action on Sukhumvit years ago.I personally also had 2 bicycles stolen in Bkk over the years.

One I didn't lock , just popped into a shop for a few minutes,came out and the bicycle was nowhere to be seen. The second I locked in Benjakitti Park in the evening while jogging a few rounds,passing the bicycle stand on round 3 , it was gone.Pretty sure it was a Thai guy watching me lock it, then timed my laps, knew he had about 11 minutes till I was coming past again.

7 hours ago, gemguy said:

Probably involves the police...somehow ..someway....lol

Is there really that much of a local market for stolen expensive bikes or that much profit to be made from stolen cheap bikes? It seems that if someone decided to take the criminal career path, joined up with a "gang" and collaborated with the police, there are other things that would involve less of a logistical hassle and a potentially more liquid, profitable market. 

Of course if the police were involved in even a small percentage of the things imagined by TV posters, they'd make the Cosa Nostra look very small scale by comparison.

8 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Is there really that much of a local market for stolen expensive bikes or that much profit to be made from stolen cheap bikes? It seems that if someone decided to take the criminal career path, joined up with a "gang" and collaborated with the police, there are other things that would involve less of a logistical hassle and a potentially more liquid, profitable market. 

Of course if the police were involved in even a small percentage of the things imagined by TV posters, they'd make the Cosa Nostra look very small scale by comparison.

Whether for resale or personal use, bicycles seem to be in demand: we had 3 stolen from us in the past few years, all at MRT stations, all properly locked (locks brought from Europe) and all simple cheapies (<THB 3,000). Last time we tried to see surveillance camera recordings. Plenty of cameras, but none directed at the bicycle stand. Station staff mentioned bicycle theft to happen frequently at the station and suspected it to be the work of professionals. Not a good enough reason of course to point a camera to the bicycle stand.

12 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Is there really that much of a local market for stolen expensive bikes or that much profit to be made from stolen cheap bikes? It seems that if someone decided to take the criminal career path, j

Not so much a local market, but they can easily sell them in Cambodia, laos, myanmar etc....

On 12/04/2017 at 2:28 AM, kannot said:

That chain costs more than my bike

13 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

A lot of Thais in Pattaya have good quality bikes. I always wondered why they bought such expensive bikes.