Midweek rant: Dear Songkran revelers – any chance of leaving me alone?

webfact

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I have only been in Bangkok for Songkran one time. I wore a really good raincoat with a hood. I pulled the hood as tight as it would go, so that only a small portion of my face was exposed. I then walked in a semi-hunched fashion, past the revelers. Most looked at me, and said something like "he is no fun", and left me alone. 

Some of the reveling is fun. But, when you are going to the mall, traveling on the sky train, going to the movies, etc, wearing wet clothes is no fun.

Must have been hot. But at least you kept dry.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, Ijustcashier said:

Hundreds of people do not die from those events.. But who cares about that.. It's all about me me me!

Hundreds of people die EVERYDAY, because no one in this stupid country is enforcing any laws!

But that will -of course- change, when you get through Songkhran dry!

:coffee1:

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

Yup I agree. I just wish I was fully retired but I have to go back to the West late Friday night and go work for 6 months and come back to Thailand in October. Maybe that is part of the reason I need to go out and let my aggressions out by water fighting tomorrow and a little bit on Friday. But as I have posted many times my only real life Songkran play has only been on Silom Rd and this is my third one. I have to say up country sounds like a bunch of drunken hicks and Pattaya well.....I'm not a big fan and at least it's concentrated there. 

I think for anyone who wants to have fun and get soaked and laugh with lots of cool Thais and some foreigners Silom Rd is a great Songkran experience. If that is not what you want then you really have to make other plans and try not to complain. But this is TVF! 

We all need some cheese ? with our Wine ? 

And nd my comment about up country seems to not be completely true some villages seem about as boring and quiet as can be according to some posters 

My condolences on the going back to work part. 

Endured it once in Pattaya and have felt reluctant to do so again.

I don't feel oppressed by it as my annual departure from Thailand is timed to be before it starts.

Having said that I don't think I would be troubled by it in my usual (rural) Thailand location.

Might I suggest that it is possibly a good time of year to experience Thailand via a rural "Homestay"?

Songkran has been hijacked by drunk and surly farang idiots.  the Thai's by comparison are relatively polite and respectful and will spare you.  i think safe zones for people of motorbikes and pedestrians with water free access into and out of the Old City in CM would be a good idea.  restrict the water throwing to the road along the moat.

6pm-12pm curfew 

7 minutes ago, Ijustcashier said:

Errm you better go check some stats and get back to us. Unless of course you believe 500 people die every 3 days?
Talk about ignorance!

I hope, I am allowed to post this link, but...anyways...

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2015/03/thailand-road-deaths/#tvoeeHCgsC5lmlrI.97

Took me 1 google request = 5 seconds!

An average of 80 people die every day on Thailand's roads!

That'll be 240 in 3 days...on average!

You are right: not 500!

Makes you feel all cozy and warm inside, doesn't it?!

Edited by DM07

Just now, malibukid said:

Songkran has been hijacked by drunk and surly farang idiots.  the Thai's by comparison are relatively polite and respectful and will spare you.  i think safe zones for people of motorbikes and pedestrians with water free access into and out of the Old City in CM would be a good idea.  restrict the water throwing to the road along the moat.

6pm-12pm curfew 

You should go down Udomsuk (outer Sukhumvit). Nary a foreigner to be seen, but loads of drunk Thais lining the road running amok.

I hope, I am allowed to post this link, but...anyways...

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2015/03/thailand-road-deaths/#tvoeeHCgsC5lmlrI.97

Took me 1 google request = 5 seconds!

An average of 80 people die every day on Thailand's roads!

That'll be 240 in 3 days...on average!

You are right: not 500!

Makes you feel all cozy and warm inside, doesn't it?!

just get your facts straight. And yes hundred of lives saved makes me fuzzy.

In fact one extra life saved is worth it but don't let that worry you rambo, go get that gun and parrtttyy!

2 minutes ago, malibukid said:

6pm-12pm curfew 

"Songkran has been hijacked by drunk and surly farang idiots.  the Thai's by comparison are relatively polite and respectful and will spare you."

That's not true at all!

1 minute ago, Ijustcashier said:

No just get your facts straight. And yes hundred of lives saved makes me fuzzy.
In fact one extra life saved is worth it but don't let that worry you rambo, go get that gun and parrtttyy!

Stay on topic: I said, hundreds die every die!

And I delivered on sources and facts!

Mind you: I will be out on Silom with the family (Farang & Thais) exactly for one day, my water- gun holds 1 liter and is not hi- pressure and -yes- I will party!

For the rest of the festival, I will stay home (unless absolutely) necessary, hang out by the pool and read!

Happy New Year!

Stay on topic: I said, hundreds die every die!
And I delivered on sources and facts!
Mind you: I will be out on Silom with the family (Farang & Thais) exactly for one day, my water- gun holds 1 liter and is not hi- pressure and -yes- I will party!
For the rest of the festival, I will stay home (unless absolutely) necessary, hang out by the pool and read!
Happy New Year!

But your stats say 80 not hundreds

1 hour ago, connda said:

What's easier?  Taking Mohammed to the mountain, or bringing the mountain to Mohammed?

Just leave the city!  Easy as that. Thailand's a big country, a lot of it rural.  In my village, a handful of kids stake out the same places every year.  Other than in the exact vicinity of the kids, there ain't no water being tossed around.  Overall, it's just another day.  People still go to work, markets are still open, overall it's demure.  The highlight of our family Songkran is visiting old people.  So anyone who hunkers down in place and expects the festivities to simply flow around them like Moses parting the Red Sea - get real.  Take a vacation where others tend not to go for Songkran.  Think outside the box.  You'll be happier!  :smile:

Better still you spend your money and take a vacation to the areas where people are chucking water about.

?

Oh puuuuuuleaze! Get a life!

OMG are you drunk? how is 80 and hundreds the same.

Debating is obviously not your strong point.

"I said hundreds a day and I delivered "

Talking about digging a hole for yourself and then you abuse me lol

Happy new year and don't drive in your condition please!

What upsets me every year is the senseless waste of water due to "playing Songkhran", and that during the hottest part of year when water is scarce already. This has absolutely nothing to do with the original tradition where you just sprinkle a few drops over your loved ones. I'll never understand how people can be that inconsiderate.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Isn't it kind of ironic?

I bet, some of the guys who usually make remarks like "we are guests here and if you don't like it- go home", suddenly want to dictate, how everybody has to behave on a festival, that they do not particularly like!

So...if you don't like it...you are just guests in this country...

8 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

If you are a farang "foreigner" and outside in Bangkok during the Songkran festival then you are going to get wet. It's only 3 or 4 days, prepare. If you have to wear nice clothes somewhere then either get a taxi there or carry the clothes in a waterproof bag and change when you get there. As for mobile phone, leave it at home, take a cheap 300 baht phone with you wrapped in a plastic bag. Traveling by motorcycle. Well, do so at your own risk. Not a good idea during the Songkran festival. You are going to get drenched and have a very high chance of having an accident. Avoid and maybe use a bicycle or if you want to stay dry, use a taxi.

If I went out I wore a good old western rain coat buttoned up to the neck. Got mocked a lot,  but stayed dry.

Re the OP, NO.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

Now Songkran doesn't officially kick of until the 13th, yet I was in a pub last night and already they were selling water guns and powder in front of the pub. People inside were already using water guns and powder and pouring freezing cold water from the ice buckets over other patrons.The police came by took a few photos of patrons inside and then left, as did I.

My wife and grandson are going to the pool tomorrow, I imagine they'll get wet. I'm staying home with my dogs and we'll wait till grandson to come home and have at it. 15 minutes later we'll stop and I'll go back to a good book. Songkran's not a problem when the closet people to you are 1/2 a kilometer away.

10 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Honestly relax and take a damn taxi!  I bet you and tens of others REALLY have a business meeting in Thailand on the 13 th, 14 th or 15 th. Please stop it.  You were just younger 16 years ago. That is the only difference.  Did you ever stop and think that Songkran revelers thought that YOU were an a hole for tramping around in a suit during a WATER festival and not in your car, a rented car or a taxi ??  It goes both ways.  Why shouldn't people be able to relax , play and enjoy Songkran on their own streets and in their own neighborhoods where many have done it for decades.  There are two ways to look at your misery. 

What BS.  It's become nothing more than an excuse for some simple-minded amusement at the expense of others.  ...sort of a special holiday for the brain-dead.  Anywhere else and you'd either get locked up or beaten to within an inch of your life for such assaults.  'Guess the whole thing appeals to a certain chromosomally deficient subset though, and is the one time of year when the whole quality tourist thing goes right out the old window.

8 hours ago, Ijustcashier said:

Are you serous? Not everyone wants to blow 15k to fly out of the country and book hotels, taxis, the wasted half days at the airport all because of water wars.

Shame the good general doesn't reign in this deadly festival to one day.. Many lives would be saved including children

I am prepared to accept 1 day and get wet even.

So, the Thais should change their holiday to suit you--Gee, that's mighty white of you.

If you don't have the money that seems your personal problem.

3 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

What BS.  It's become nothing more than an excuse for some simple-minded amusement at the expense of others.  ...sort of a special holiday for the brain-dead.  Anywhere else and you'd either get locked up or beaten to within an inch of your life for such assaults.  'Guess the whole thing appeals to a certain chromosomally deficient subset though, and is the one time of year when the whole quality tourist thing goes right out the old window.

BS back at you!  

All types of people celebrate! 

Every occupation and rich and poor. There are so many professionals from all over the world come here just to join in the fun and go to all sorts of concerts and clubs after the water play. I meet so many people who come every year and none are brain dead ? You just seem very grumpy and had a bad experience and want to try and lump all revelers together. You would be amazed at how many high quality tourists are here this week. Most 5 star hotels are filled and they spend way more than you. 

Edited by alex8912

The fact is most people on here cannot see the big picture . Songran in designated places in  the middle of a village or city to me is ok but if you live in rural thailand there is a water station at every house along the roads between villages and at all shopping places on the big fast roads and some of therm you do not see until they run out into the road .
 Lots of times they stop me then try to ram whisky and beer glasses into my mouth to make me drink and have cut my mouth on more than one occasion.It is not the same songan as most of you living in farangland will see .
 From my house to the village is a straight road about 400 metres and about 6 water throwing stations . So to go to the shop and back i am hit a dozen times ?! they cannot all share at one house but have to have their own at their house making it if i drive to the main road i will be hit at least 20 times each way on a 2km stretch of fast road .
 I am this morning waiting for the first ambulance of the day to pass . There were lots last year.
 I have stocked up and will not go out for 3 days so am not bothered except i would like to experience the friendly songrans of years ago.
  Also it is not water pistols in the villages it is buckets of  5 litres or more  of water and ice that are thrown at you . Being hit by 2/3 of these at the same time on a motorbike is not nice

Edited by dazzz
not finished

The fact is most people on here cannot see the big picture . Songran in designated places in  the middle of a village or city to me is ok but if you live in rural thailand there is a water station at every house along the roads between villages and at all shopping places on the big fast roads and some of therm you do not see until they run out into the road .
 Lots of times they stop me then try to ram whisky and beer glasses into my mouth to make me drink and have cut my mouth on more than one occasion.It is not the same songan as most of you living in farangland will see .
 From my house to the village is a straight road about 400 metres and about 6 water throwing stations . So to go to the shop and back i am hit a dozen times ?! they cannot all share at one house but have to have their own at their house making it if i drive to the main road i will be hit at least 20 times each way on a 2km stretch of fast road .
 I am this morning waiting for the first ambulance of the day to pass . There were lots last year.
 I have stocked up and will not go out for 3 days so am not bothered except i would like to experience the friendly songrans of years ago.
  Also it is not water pistols in the villages it is buckets of  5 litres or more  of water and ice that are thrown at you . Being hit by 2/3 of these at the same time on a motorbike is not nice

The 'big picture' is just as I said in my comment above: a senseless waste of water with the original tradition having been lost decades ago. That's all there is to say about it. So, good luck up there wherever you are, with finding the 'friendly songkhrans of years ago'.