Red Cross appeals for blood

webfact

Red Cross appeals for blood

BANGKOK, 12 April 2017 (NNT) - The Thai Red Cross Society invited Thais nationwide to donate blood to ensure a sufficient supply to save lives during the Songkran Festival which is prone to road accidents. 

According to Secretary-General of the Thai Red Cross Society Phan Wannamethee, people have been encouraged to donate their blood at the National Blood Centre and 12 provincial Red Cross offices. 

Launched on Monday, the blood drive campaign is meant to honor the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej and to increase blood supplies. Blood is much needed during long holidays like Songkran when the number of road accidents and fatalities are normally high. 

The National Blood Centre needs to have at least 3,000 units of blood prepared, judging from the number of accidents recorded during last year's Songkran festivities which was 3,400. Ubonwan Jaroonruengrit, the Director of the National Blood Centre, also asked people to donate blood every three months to prevent blood shortages in the future.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-04-12

As a foreigner who has been donating blood Type AB+ for over 40 years I was sad to be turned away when I tried to donate.

My group is rare, I am fit but over 55 so "Go Away, you are too old!"

This seems idiotic as when I go back to the old country I donate with no problems.

WHY???

5 minutes ago, Stupi said:

As a foreigner who has been donating blood Type AB+ for over 40 years I was sad to be turned away when I tried to donate.

My group is rare, I am fit but over 55 so "Go Away, you are too old!"

This seems idiotic as when I go back to the old country I donate with no problems.

WHY???

This is the hub of "Go Away" We live in a world where they speak in tongues. In some cultures if you say the wrong thing they rip yours out. Sorry my mind flipped into humor madness mode momentarily. 

20 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

All humor aside this is a worthy cause. My g/f's uncle was hit by a car in Chang Rai and needed an operation and O type blood which was rare. She went from Chang Mai to give. I cannot stress the importance of this enough. 

Perhaps you are mistaken ... type O is not rare. It is the most common blood type in Thailand, about 40% of population have it. 

Rh- is the characteristic that makes blood especially rare in Thailand. O Rh negative occurs in only about .02% ! 

That is rare.

Just now, Minnehaha said:

Perhaps you are mistaken ... type O is not rare. It is the most common blood type in Thailand, about 40% of population have it. 

Rh- is the characteristic that makes blood especially rare in Thailand. O Rh negative occurs in only about .02% ! 

That is rare.

I stand corrected just going by what she told me the little bum. 

Sadly I opened the page because I have relatively rare B+ blood  and would have donated. I am a healthy 67 and I never even conceived that somebody would be too old to donate blood. I wonder what the logic is, if any (;>

On the topic does anyone know where I would  (try to) donate blood in chaam?

The local hospital seems a likely place but often what seems reasonable to me is not true in LOS.

Edited by RocketDog
add age

47 minutes ago, BWPattaya said:

I gave over 35 units in the UK. Now, in Thailand, I am classed as too old. I am type O+ which used to be called the Universal Donor as so manny blood groups can accept I 

You are never to old, next time in the UK donate it here there loss our gain

keep well we need people like you thanks for your donations.

I too would love to donate, in the UK I am not considered too old - there they will take donations up to age 70.

I went along here in Karon to give a pint and was told various reasons as to why they would not have my blood.

1.  I had lived in the uk between 1984 and 1993, therefore I might have nvCJD (mad cow disease)

2.  If I had given blood before in Thailand then they would take it, but because I did not have a donor card they would not have my blood

3.  They were concerned for my health ( I am fit, well, on no medication, cycle everywhere etc.)

In relation to point one this means that the majority of UK donors would not be able to give blood and it is only those born after  1993 who could give blood.

The nurse at the centre would not let me speak to a Doctor about this so I was sent away.

I am going to Cambodia next month so will give a pint there - as I have done in the past.

Also it is O- that is the universal donor NOT O+

I always that that the most common blood groups in Asia were  A. B and AB?

• 3 weeks later...

I have blood type B f positive blood.

Relatively rare in Thailand, but not for those of European ancestry.

Back in March I had an operation in a Bangkok hospital to repair a broken bone in my left arm.

The operation was delayed a few days until the surgeon was sure of a supply of B positive blood, just in case it was needed.

it turned out it wasn't needed anyhow.