Hotels defend New Year price rises

geovalin

With the Khmer New Year holiday approaching this weekend,  thousands of people flocking to resorts face seasonal price rises but some places are sticking to normal prices. Hotels said they decided to hike prices to take advantage of the high season business opportunity, though the Ministry of Tourism and local authorities had asked them not to increase Khmer New Year prices.

Seang Sochetra, front office manager at Golden Sand Hotel in Preah Sihanoukville province, said that about $20 had been added to daily rates for the Khmer New Year, even though the hotel received the call not to increase prices. “Most hotels, guesthouses and tourism service providers here increase their prices during the high season when a lot of tourists visit,” Mr. Sochetra said.

During extended holidays, accommodation prices at hotels and guesthouses are always pushed up to an acceptable price, he said. The owner of Sor Diny Guesthouse in Preah Sihanoukville province echoed Mr. Sochetra’s remarks.

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/37500/hotels-defend-new-year-price-rises/

khmer_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khmer Times 13/04

Yeah, some will undoubtedly complain.  However, read about supply and demand--enough said.

Just back from my Water-gun Brunch; had a great time. Heard a story I wish on you all who leave Thailand for Songkran. This one old reveler at brunch was having such a good time, I had to introduce myself. As would be expected, the conversation got around to Songkran Haters. He told of several years ago when he tired of Songkran  and flew to Cambodia to escape the moist madness. It seems it was Khmer New Year at the same time and he was forced to go through much the same thing he intended to avoid. As he was cussing the world and trying to drown his sorrows; he noticed an old man in a wheel chair out in the street water-gun battling it out with all comers. He said the grin on the old codger's face was ear to ear and that changed him then and there, he went out and played water too. Funny how that grin in the story reminded me of the grin I saw on my new old-friend's face.