Happy Songkran? Motorists pelted with urine, raw fish, motor oil

webfact

6 hours ago, DoctorG said:

and some people wonder why others decide to leave TL during this period.

Yep... it's happy Easter in QLD.... all good... although next year I might take jsixpacks  advise per post 7...

And these vile actions, only confirm my post on the notifcations. The topic of 'What do you do for Songcran' How disgusting are these people? does every thing have to be relegated to a form of ugliness and pure stupidity? i guess its ignorance at its highest.

Love the country, can never understand the mentality of the ignorant.

Thank God for village life.

They say its a developing country? Well? developing country, but developing into what.

Third world and always will be. An don't bother guys, with the why don't you go home, because it doesn't work anymore and this is my home, it has been for 17 years.And Ive probably done more in it than you will ever do.

Sawadee bee mai

5 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

And these vile actions, only confirm my post on the notifcations. The topic of 'What do you do for Songcran' How disgusting are these people? does every thing have to be relegated to a form of ugliness and pure stupidity? i guess its ignorance at its highest.

Love the country, can never understand the mentality of the ignorant.

Thank God for village life.

They say its a developing country? Well? developing country, but developing into what.

Third world and always will be. An don't bother guys, with the why don't you go home, because it doesn't work anymore and this is my home, it has been for 17 years.And Ive probably done more in it than you will ever do.

Sawadee bee mai

"And Ive probably done more in it than you will ever do."

Aha, self-praise?

Let's hear.

These  10 jerks need their faces published and also some jail time.  It does not matter if they are teens or not.

Give them a taste of jail time, and make them an example of what is not accepted by anyone at Songkran.

Geezer

On 4/13/2017 at 2:45 PM, Pattaya28 said:

Pure Thainess.

And where were Police ?

What can the police do until a report of this is made??

They cannot be everywhere watching what every imbecile on every street is doing??

23 hours ago, saminoz said:

I walked out of our village in Pak Kret with my little 6-year old daughter yesterday.

I was watchful and ever alert for danger and over the top "celebrations".

We were invited to the other side of the main road where a small group of families were celebrating and playing with water and the passing vehicles.

I was amazed and touched at how well the group, especially the youngsters, looked after my daughter (half Thai, half me) and the kids even  ritually pasted some clay on me and then washed it off (before giving me a good dousing with icy water!).

The adults were very friendly and shared their Sam Song, Red Label and so on willingly.  The day passed very enjoyably and, overall, the spirit was very good between the roadside groups and the passing targets motorists.

After experiencing the chaos and carnage in central Bangkok and Pattaya, this was a real breath of fresh air.

As someone who is usually quick to point out the wrongs of this beautiful country, I thought it only fair to highlight and share the good.

So teach your, and other kids to throw at passing motorists eh?

21 hours ago, Mbaki said:

As a matter of fact I have, you mean you haven't seen teenage idiots in other countries doing stupid things at festivals?

Never had water thrown at me while riding a motorbike anywhere else in the world.

For such stupidity and dangerous actions, you need Thainess.

On 13/04/2017 at 2:20 PM, webfact said:

17884645_1627387743967915_1597757857634139653_n-copy-696x500.jpg

Motorcycle riders hit by a bag of what looks like motor oil Thursday early morning in Chonburi. Photo: Saha Group-Laem Chabang / Facebook

Where can I find this 4-legged pillion rider? I need some advice on lottery numbers. :coffee1:

I am out of country and will never be during this time again.  Last year there were empty bottles of bleach in Pattaya along Beach Road as people thought it was funny to spray bleach from those water guns.  If you are there, be careful!  

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Never had water thrown at me while riding a motorbike anywhere else in the world.

For such stupidity and dangerous actions, you need Thainess.

Lots of farang have Thainess then.

On Friday, April 14, 2017 at 10:56 AM, tandor said:

...throwing anything at anytime at any persons on a motor cycle should be banned and treated as a serious offence...when are the legislators and reformists going to take the loss of life and injury serious !

I agree, but some on here will accuse you of being old and grumpy. Remember that for 10 consecutive days we are supposed to smile as we're being assaulted with water, ice and powder, often aggressively, often while riding motorbikes, and often when we're clearly trying to avoid it (sitting INSIDE bars rather than participating outside). Or, of course, we're told we must leave the city for 10 days, at great expense, to avoid it all.

16 hours ago, jubkhun said:

I agree, but some on here will accuse you of being old and grumpy. Remember that for 10 consecutive days we are supposed to smile as we're being assaulted with water, ice and powder, often aggressively, often while riding motorbikes, and often when we're clearly trying to avoid it (sitting INSIDE bars rather than participating outside). Or, of course, we're told we must leave the city for 10 days, at great expense, to avoid it all.

...I didn't  reply to the OPs article fearing pathetic accusations from TV members!...I replied stating what i believe is the solution which would go a long way if the Government is serious about reducing the carnage on the roads.

Ive lived here for quite a long time...yes Im getting old...but not grumpy or senile...the sentiments i express are not just mine but those of many many Thai citizens who object but feel they cannot complain for fear of reprisal...meantime the road deaths/injuries keep mounting.

Let the revelers go to a designated area (in Chiang Mai the moat around the old city) and squirt to their hearts content; but ban the throwing of water at any motor cycle.

It really is time the Government, reformists and legislators stood up to be counted instead of hand-balling this issue and shrugging it off as 'Thai tradition'.

On 14/4/2560 at 8:54 AM, Mbaki said:

Nothing to do with Thainess, what sort of ignorant comment is that?
Just stupid teenage idiots going overboard.

Yes 100% right Mbaki but you get that brainless comment on every little bit of negative news that appears----more of a reflection on the poster I think --shoot some old man on Face book, so all can see--- its  doesn't seem to be Americaness  ...........

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 9:04 AM, jesimps said:

"why are people only getting het up because dirty things are thrown?"

Precisely! Even when the water's clean it's normally mixed with blocks of ice. The whole celebration has become obnoxious and nothing like the gentle traditional festival it's meant to be. Here in Pattaya we've got about another eight days of the festering thing to look forward to. Wish I could go on holiday abroad like these rich smeggers.

I went abroad, on a nice road trip down to Malaysia. Arrived back on the Thai side on the second last day of the celebration and then the following day it was madness with an insane amount of traffic turning a normally 8-hour drive into a 14-hour zig-zag avoiding the main highway then coming back to the highway because there's no alternative (Thailand has too few roads - no wonder they're all jammed). However, apart from the holiday traffic I saw almost no evidence whatsoever of Songkran. Do southern Thais not celebrate it? Or is it because they're not allowed to throw water on the national highways? I saw but one location where a group of youths were throwing water near Bang Saphan just one location! Sounds like quite a contrast to Pattaya!

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 2:30 PM, jubkhun said:

10 days? Wonder where you live. Throughout all the years I've lived in Thailand, I've never seen anywhere where they celebrate Songkran for anything close to 10 days. Normally around the 11th or 12th kids start getting into the action (particularly up north) but by the 15th they're all exhausted and anything after that is usually only in special reveler zones such as Khao San road, Pattaya and central Chiang Mai (the moat area). In other cities activities are greatly wound down starting on the 16th as most people prepare to go back to work.

It is indeed true that many Thais do take an extended break, in some cases for up to 10 days (14 days for some people) during Songkran but not all that time is spent splashing water. 2 whole days are spent driving back and forth between Bangkok and their home province at the beginning and end of the festival and the last couple of days are just spent at home with family and relatives.

Archived