I just got a dash cam and in an accident

wprime

17 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Yes, he lost control and ended up side wise into his car, the same as when the tree came out of know where and hit the car.

Far worse are those in-your-face telegraph poles that are attracted to pickups, especially when several of them gang up on you when you're driving home after an evening on the sauce.

I recently bought this one http://www.lazada.co.th/xiaomi-yi-dash-cam-1080p-car-wifi-dvr-gray-memory-sandisk-64-gb-class-10-7746053.html?ff=1&rb=7482 

Good value for the money in my opinion. Quite small, but have wifi and a good app. 

What do the videos look like at nighttime ?
Can you make out number/license plates ?
I bought one at 1500 baht, daytime video is ok , but night time is <deleted> !

This is a good tale and exactly the reason I have had Dash-cams in my last 3 cars... 

I have a BlackVue DR650GW-2CH (front and rear facing) installed... never had to rely on it yet... but one day, the same thing will happen. I will be pottering along and an accident happens out of nowhere, completely the fault of the other party.

And with that said, what I really have the Dash-cam for is to protect me in the event the other party is seriously injured or worse... 

I have managed to recored a few dodgy 'transactions' as the open but loaded pickup 'pay the fine' upon entering the toll station... I've also recorded some pretty dodgy driving... 

One thing - the dodgy driving never looks quite as bad from the dash-cam footage... 

Edited by richard_smith237

6 minutes ago, bangkokbanjo said:

Did you show the police at the scene? I would be afraid they would confiscate it and you would eventually lose the footage

Sent from my SM-G920V using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Some dash-cams (mine anyway)... have no display screen. The phone links to the cam via WIFI and can either either download the footage, or simply view it. Once downloaded the footage can be uploaded to the cloud etc (its not a tricky process even for those without the technical savvy).

That said: The BiB here are really not that bad, if you have footage that shows what happened they are likely to roll with it. The BiB don't blame the foreigner indiscriminately, they tend to choose to place the costs at the foot of those who appear to be able to more readily afford the damages - usually this also follows the path of least resistance and people tend not to protest this choice as the insurance usually covers all anyway...  .. its just they way things are done - no prejudice involved. 

50 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

What do the videos look like at nighttime ?
Can you make out number/license plates ?
I bought one at 1500 baht, daytime video is ok , but night time is <deleted> !

Just barely tested it on daylight, so I dont know. But the reviews looks promising.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Some dash-cams (mine anyway)... have no display screen. The phone links to the cam via WIFI and can either either download the footage, or simply view it. Once downloaded the footage can be uploaded to the cloud etc (its not a tricky process even for those without the technical savvy).

That said: The BiB here are really not that bad, if you have footage that shows what happened they are likely to roll with it. The BiB don't blame the foreigner indiscriminately, they tend to choose to place the costs at the foot of those who appear to be able to more readily afford the damages - usually this also follows the path of least resistance and people tend not to protest this choice as the insurance usually covers all anyway...  .. its just they way things are done - no prejudice involved. 

This seems to be more a Thai thing rather than just the police. The "witnesses" in my case who tried to say I was in the wrong lane looked at me like I was the anti-christ when I argued my case (I was driving a rather expensive car with full insurance coverage and he was an uninsured motorbike).

No need for all this Thai bashing , if you do have a 1st class insurance they will take care of it for you and no compensations will be made from your pocket whatever happens. Even if you do not have a dash cam .  But of course it's helpful in an accident. 

Edited by balo

14 hours ago, wprime said:

This seems to be more a Thai thing rather than just the police. The "witnesses" in my case who tried to say I was in the wrong lane looked at me like I was the anti-christ when I argued my case (I was driving a rather expensive car with full insurance coverage and he was an uninsured motorbike).

Agreed.

I had to deal with cops once for an accident +1 for personal stuff and they were very helpful and remained neutral.

BTW maybe you actually are the anti-christ, you just don't know it yet :P

Only the traffic police can be a bit more spicy.

I bought a cheap 1000 baht dash cam on recommendation from the bloke in the shop. Quality is good, but the instructions are all in Chinese. Battery is a bit naff so god knows how long it would last if I kept trying to playback at the scene. Might get that one that was recommended from lazada.

On 4/14/2017 at 5:35 PM, 4MyEgo said:

Anyone recommend a good dash cam as I have had getting one on my mind for a while.

Most cams on sale at Lazada are of the cheap to mid price range,

although they do a reasonable job they do tend to become unreliable 

over time and also from overheat exposure.Their daytime recordings 

are good but most have poor night vision recording.

If you want a leading brand Dashcam that has reliability and clear video 

resolution in all light conditions then i recommend the DOD range:

This is their UK website:

http://www.hdigital-eye.com

These are available in Thailand through mail order:

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/dash-cams/dod/is200w-full-hd-dashcam-p027178/

If you also want one with built in GPS, then this:

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/dash-cams/dod/ls470w-full-hd-gps-dashcam-p027179/

Got the OEM front/rear dash cams from my dealer which they installed for me. Main benefits were that the cables are built into the ceiling and rear view mirror so it's not as messy as the 12v one I use in another car, and it is hard wired to the car battery so it records when the car is off. It will capture any movement whilst the car is parked, and if someone bumps my car the accelerometer will automatically trigger a 30 second clip to record.

It's very expensive but worth it for peace of mind, particularly like it for the software that shows all the motion data with things like speed and gps map all bundled in with the front/rear video.

Best 3rd party one I've seen is Blackvue, so I'd go with that if your budget stretches.

On 4/15/2017 at 1:41 PM, bangkokbanjo said:

Did you show the police at the scene? I would be afraid they would confiscate it and you would eventually lose the footage

Sent from my SM-G920V using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Copied it onto my girlfriend's laptop first to play it and hid the spare. I don't think there's any reasonable reason to fear they'll take it but I have to make sure.