webfact

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

It really is disturbing news to me.

Someone in the thread mentioned VPN's.

Are they legal in Thailand (phone/computer)?

Rephrasing it:

Is there any difficulty in using VPN's in Thailand?

3 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Rephrasing it:

Is there any difficulty in using VPN's in Thailand?

Using one right now, no problem. Only downside is it's the same service I use back home, so their servers are in Europe, which affects my speed a little bit. I'm sure there are services with more strategically placed servers, but you also want to consider their privacy and integrity policies.

This whole thread is hilarious by the way - all you people who think this is a good idea and that it will prevent terrorism are either naive or just stupid. You really think someone who is up to no good will use a SIM card that is registered? They'll find a way to get their hands on one that's either not registered or registered to someone else, perhaps you. 

This is just as silly as the "crackdowns" on motorcyclists who don't wear helmets. If they really wanted to make a difference, they'd crack down on drunk drivers.

Edited by BadCash

26 minutes ago, thedemon said:

Sure, you can use a VPN connection to access the internet. But that won't cloak the identification of your SIM card on the mobile phone network.

Right, but it will protect any mobile data being sent and received by your phone. SMS, calls and location (via sender/receiver station) will still be available to the network provider and government. I don't know how much access the Thai government has to that data (SMS/calls/location), but I'd consider it practically "public" for all intents and purposes. If they want to have access to it, they can.

Edited by BadCash

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/14/2017 at 4:33 AM, thedemon said:

I don't disagree with your sentiments.

But to get Permanent Residence, Immigration do require your fingerprints and all Thai citizens have to provide them when they have their ID card issued.

It is only a question of time before everyone will need to provide fingerprints to enter Thailand.

The horse has already bolted I am afraid.

It shouldn't be that hard to collect a fingerprint of people. Most EU passports have at least the fingerprint of the indexfinger encoded in them.
Immigration would only need to adapt the software they use for scanning the passport to also retrieve the fingerprint.

On 4/14/2017 at 6:27 AM, thedemon said:

Calm down. This thread is about finger printing for SIM card registration.

I only commented that fingerprints are already required by some Government agencies - and in general I am ok with that.

But when corporations start scanning and recording fingerprints, that is something else. Isn't it?

Well, the corporations wouldn't care about the fingerprints, it is the government demanding they take fingerprints from every person who registers a sim card. 

Although I do see the benefit in this, I am not sure if it will serve its purpose.  Criminals and terrorists will get mules to provide them with simcards. 
And that is about all that it would be used for, tracking peoples contacts and whereabouts for their investigations.

This was supposed to be up and running in March, then May. Does anyone know if it's in force yet?

I think not - I stood behind someone buying sim card yesterday and all they needed was an ID card.

Can you imagine the administrative process and paperwork that would be required? I know it should be computerized and so on but I doubt it would work on a dodgy copy of Windows XP!

Rather ironic that Thailand is becoming more controlling and rule-ridden than many of the countries so many expats left behind. As one who is intent on moving to Thailand this year it's more than a little disturbing.