Pakistani student accused of blasphemy beaten to death on campus

webfact

Pakistani student accused of blasphemy beaten to death on campus

By Jibran Ahmed

REUTERS

PESHAWAR, Pakistan (Reuters) - A mob beat a Pakistani student to death at his university campus on Thursday after he was accused of sharing blasphemous content on social media, university and police officials said.

A group of about 10 students shouted "Allahu Akbar" during the attack on fellow student Mashal Khan, who was stripped naked and beaten with planks until his skull caved in as other students looked on, video obtained by Reuters showed.

Blasphemy is a highly sensitive topic in Muslim-majority Pakistan, where insulting the Prophet Mohammed is a capital crime that has dozens languishing on death row and where even an accusation can lead to violence.

In recent months, Pakistan's government has been vocal about the issue, with Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif issuing an order last month for removal of blasphemous content online and saying anyone who posted such content should face "strict punishment under the law".

Ten students have been arrested after Thursday's attack the grounds of a university in the northern city of Mardan, local police chief Mohammad Alam Shinwari said.

"After severe torture that led his death, the charged students then wanted to burn his body," said Shinwari.

At least 65 people have been murdered over blasphemy allegations since 1990, according to figures from a Center for Research and Security Studies report and local media.

It was unclear exactly what online posting had prompted the blasphemy accusation against Khan, who was studying journalism.

One of Khan's teachers recalled that he was a passionate and critical student.

"He was brilliant ‎and inquisitive, always complaining about the political system of the country, but I never heard him saying anything controversial against the religion," said the teacher.

In 2011, a bodyguard assassinated Punjab provincial governor Salman Taseer after the governor called for reforming blasphemy laws.

Taseer's killer, executed last year, has been hailed by religious hard-liners as a martyr to Islam and a shrine has been erected at his grave.

Recently, fighting blasphemy has also become a rallying cry for the government.

Pakistani online activists believe blasphemy-related crack downs on social media are veiled attempts by the country's powerful military to limit dissent on human rights violations.

In January, five online activists went missing and were publicly accused of blasphemy while they were absent. Four of them have reappeared and at least one has said he was abducted and interrogated by Pakistan's intelligence agencies.

The military has denied any part in the activists' disappearances.

(Writing by Saad Sayeed; Editing by Tom Heneghan)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-04-14

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Beaten to death for blasphemy in this day and age? Ample proof if anything further were required of how the Muslim world is several hundred years behind the times.

RIP to the young lad. I sincerely hope those arrested are duly found guilty and follow him swiftly in to the afterlife.

Stories like that always bother me.  Same for stories of young women getting mutilated and killed (usually by family members) for innocent things like getting a romantic crush on a cute boy.  It's harder to stamp out sicko Muslim ideas in peoples' brains than it is to stamp out a cockroach infestation in an abandoned candy factory.   The best thing people can do, if they want to think freely, is to get themselves far away from sick-minded people.  Not easy to do, but not impossible.

How can people be so sick in the head as to do something like this, over a social media post? There is something very wrong with the Muslim world, when this can happen and not be universally condemned by the rest of the country.  It would have been bad enough if it was one person who did it, but beaten to death by a pack is as abhorrent as behavior gets. I hope the punishment will see the perpetrators publicly whipped or stoned to death, which would seem appropriate, given their love of Sharia law.

As a comparison, Thai gov't criminalizes certain people for just communicating with people they (the self-installed gov't) deem naughty.   I don't think even the Pakistani gov't goes that far.   Sure, both governments criminalize people who say outlawed things on the internet, but which country criminalizes people who communicate with the people deemed bad?   

It would be like the thugs who beat the kid to death at the campus, ....then went around and beat up everyone who had spoken with that kid in the past week.

Pakistani politicians have been murdered for condemning the blasphemy laws. As previously reported from Pakistan many of these blasphemy killings are motivated by some form of revenge.

6 hours ago, bouph12 said:

Pakistan, the country deemed worthy of receiving £374,000,000 of aid from Britain last year.

Immediately stopping aid payments would be one way of getting the message across that this is just barbaric.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/733594/Pakistan-tops-UK-aid-list-as-taxpayers-pay-12-billion

wow it would not cost much more than that to keep ex pats pensions up rated, but no give it to a country that kills for blasphemy against a non existing 'God'

What I never could understand: why, when God / Allah or whatever name, who is unlimited powerful, could create the entire universe, needs simple HUMANS to punish those, who insult Him.

or.. does this Diety does not exist, or has close to zero powers at all ?

7 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

What I never could understand: why, when God / Allah or whatever name, who is unlimited powerful, could create the entire universe, needs simple HUMANS to punish those, who insult Him.

or.. does this Diety does not exist, or has close to zero powers at all ?

The blasphemy laws in Pakistan were enacted by a previous dictator (Zia ul Huq) in order to appease conservative Islamic leaders to reduce challenges to his claim on power

We should all be more worried about how Pakistan has been forefront in aiding and abetting terrorism. There are numerous proofs all over the internet of how they were key in establishing the Taliban and al Qaeda. Osama bin Laden was found 100 m from one of their main army barracks and they feigned ignorance.

How does a country which is ruled by military with a puppet government does not even know about the world's most wanted man living in their own compound.

Pakistan has officially claimed they have "good" terrorists and "bad" terrorists. Good terrorist are those that they create and use against countries like India and Afghanistan and many western countries as well. Bad terrorist are those good terrorist who strike back when they are left out to dry by Pakistan after there usefulness is over. World powers shouldnjoin together tackle the cancer being spread by this cancerous country.

Ps chinese provided the nukes to pakis. Pakis provided then to north Korea. If you analyse deep within you will know many of the issues in the world has origin to this backward nation. Please read article by Christine fair on the dangers of this country.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

32 minutes ago, Dizer said:

We should all be more worried about how Pakistan has been forefront in aiding and abetting terrorism.

please worry for me too. i'm too busy worrying about Pakistan. thanks!

How can governments in western non Muslim countries think it is a good idea to allow Muslim migrants into their countries. The western culture and Islam will never be able to coexist, one is still in the dark ages and the other cherish free speech and freedom......Islam is not a religion of peace and tolerance.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, bkkgriz said:

Muslims, living in the stone age since the stone age.

Islam_isnt_violent.jpg

I'm going to take a moment to defend Stone Age hominids, who can't defend themselves.

For starters, they are our ancestors.  They did an exemplary job of surviving and procreating, though were nearly wiped out tens of thousands of years ago.  Even with their savage ways, I put Stone Agers head and shoulders above radical Muslims of today - in several categories.     

Note; one of the first things Trump did, as president-elect, was phone the prez of Pakistan and gush about what a great country it is and how all its people are so great.   Yet another proof, if any were needed, of what a dufus Trump is.  Perhaps he forgot that Pakistan harbored O.Bin Laden for years, along with OBL's many fanatic followers (mostly Taliban) who would gladly kill small girls in order to keep them from attending schools.

HRC, in sharp contrast, wasn't coy about saying what she thought about countries which tolerate abusive actions - particularly actions which treat women worse than stray dogs.  That's why leaders of the world's oppressive countries didn't particularly like HRC.  They prefer Trump, because he's an easily manipulated dufus.   All you have to do, with Trump, is act like you think he's great, and then Trump will love you, and won't bomb your country.

Note; one of the first things Trump did, as president-elect, was phone the prez of Pakistan and gush about what a great country it is and how all its people are so great.   Yet another proof, if any were needed, of what a dufus Trump is.  Perhaps he forgot that Pakistan harbored O.Bin Laden for years, along with OBL's many fanatic followers (mostly Taliban) who would gladly kill small girls in order to keep them from attending schools.

HRC, in sharp contrast, wasn't coy about saying what she thought about countries which tolerate abusive actions - particularly actions which treat women worse than stray dogs.  That's why leaders of the world's oppressive countries didn't particularly like HRC.  They prefer Trump, because he's an easily manipulated dufus.   All you have to do, with Trump, is act like you think he's great, and then Trump will love you, and won't bomb your country.

Absolutely and also note the complete U turn he has had with respect to China. You can read the books of Christine fair about Pakistan and how many terrorist organisations have roots and is supported by Pakis.

please worry for me too. i'm too busy worrying about Pakistan. thanks!

Don't just worry. Ask your government to do something about it. First thing would be to cut of the military aids and ties to such countries. Hopefully western powers and China put sanctions on them until they give up their proxy terrorist ideology.

What's under discussion here is the horrendous act of ten students bashing another to death. 

Because it was Pakistan.

So how many gun deaths then in America from crazies who want to shoot up a school or other place? Stay on the topic.

Edited by Minnie the Minx

12 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Beaten to death for blasphemy in this day and age? Ample proof if anything further were required of how the Muslim world is several hundred years behind the times.

RIP to the young lad. I sincerely hope those arrested are duly found guilty and follow him swiftly in to the afterlife.

They act like it is the year 1200

10 minutes ago, Minnie the Minx said:

What's under discussion here is the horrendous act of ten students bashing another to death. 

Because it was Pakistan.

So how many gun deaths then in America from crazies who want to shoot up a school or other place? Stay on the topic.

And you are on topic?

Edited by USPatriot