Songkran in Jomtien on the 20th?

Guderian

I read on another board that this year Jomtien will get its own water madness day on the 20th. In the past the 18th was Naklua, the 19th Pattaya and Jomtien, and the 20th Bang Saray (and maybe places in between like Baan Amphur, I’m not sure?).

If so it’s the first I’ve heard of this, I was looking forward to things getting back to normal on the 20th. Can anybody confirm or refute this change?

Very doubtful. Jomtien isn't enough of a distinct and separate municipal entity to have its own Songkran on a different day than Pattaya's. It's just such an easy and natural progression from Pattaya right on to Jomtien on the 19th.

I hope you're all correct. I've only seen one person post this so hopefully it's untrue. The bars where I enjoy a beer most afternoons are almost completely deserted now, yesterday I was the only customer in three adjacent bars. All the regulars who drink there every day had vanished. The fact that many of the bars had set up water drums and hosepipes outside was probably  to blame, though at the moment with hardly anybody down there to soak it's all fairly quite. I'd hate to see an extra day of this idiocy.

We rode out to Jomtien on the scooter yesterday from north Pattaya and it was pretty easy to avoid getting wet.

I suspect it will be harder today but we will be going to Central on beach road but will avoid beach road all together and enter from 2nd road.

Traffic was pretty bad yesterday, looks like all the Thais holidaying here just drives around and around, find a place to eat and then drives around again.

Looking forward to the 21th.

59 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

We rode out to Jomtien on the scooter yesterday from north Pattaya and it was pretty easy to avoid getting wet.

I suspect it will be harder today but we will be going to Central on beach road but will avoid beach road all together and enter from 2nd road.

Traffic was pretty bad yesterday, looks like all the Thais holidaying here just drives around and around, find a place to eat and then drives around again.

Looking forward to the 21th.

Your be fine on the 20 ,   there will be no water throwing going on

Ps  Soi watboon is a wet one now,  every day in afternoon

Edited by onemorechang

I think it's Najomtien's turn on the 20th  Goes on forever for us in the Pattaya/Sattahip area, especially if you have to travel back and forth.

You Bangkokians get off light, just a distant memory for you. Songkran? What Songkran??

4 hours ago, Guderian said:

I hope you're all correct. I've only seen one person post this so hopefully it's untrue. The bars where I enjoy a beer most afternoons are almost completely deserted now, yesterday I was the only customer in three adjacent bars. All the regulars who drink there every day had vanished. The fact that many of the bars had set up water drums and hosepipes outside was probably  to blame, though at the moment with hardly anybody down there to soak it's all fairly quite. I'd hate to see an extra day of this idiocy.

So the bar makes no money in Songkran.May that will teach them something but i doubt it.

5 hours ago, Guderian said:

And 4 hours later it looks like a very quiet Songkran ( Pattaya) :  Maybe too early but from North Pattaya Beach rd by songkow to South Pattaya /back via 2nd rd , was only passenger and again maybe too eary but very little action soi 7&8 and along 2nd rd. Not one pretty girl shaking it either ?

Edited by morrobay

I saw an announcement in Thai the other day:

17 Banglamung

18 Naklua

19 Pattaya

20 Jomtien

etc......further South

The 20th seems to be Jomtien indeed and that means that Songkran in Pattaya is extended with one day, because for sure the border between Jomtien and Pattaya will be moved to Pattaya Tai for this event. 

So, starting on the evening the 12th and ending on the evening of the 20th it's 8 days of madness and City Hall wants to tone down Songkran in a more traditional manner? Let them start in enforcing the original dates 13, 14 and 15 April instead of having a Songkran month in the future. 

30 minutes ago, joepattaya1961 said:

17 Banglamung

18 Naklua

19 Pattaya

20 Jomtien

etc......further South

The 20th seems to be Jomtien indeed and that means that Songkran in Pattaya is extended with one day, because for sure the border between Jomtien and Pattaya will be moved to Pattaya Tai for this event. 

So, starting on the evening the 12th and ending on the evening of the 20th it's 8 days of madness and City Hall wants to tone down Songkran in a more traditional manner? Let them start in enforcing the original dates 13, 14 and 15 April instead of having a Songkran month in the future. 

Where does that information come from?. Everything I have seen says 19th, including office closing where GF works in jomtien and signs on shops, girls in 7/11 etc.

I was even joking with a Jomtien policeman about him looking for me and wetting me on the 19th, he didnt mention the 20th.

Edited by Peterw42

2 hours ago, joepattaya1961 said:

17 Banglamung

18 Naklua

19 Pattaya

20 Jomtien

etc......further South

Ah, good find, maybe that's what the guy on the other board was referring to?

I can only hope that it's some confusion about names, as the 20th is officially Bang Saray day but maybe that includes Na Jomtien and Baan Ampur? Last year on the 19th I drove down to Bang Saray to get away from the madness in Pattaya and Jomtien proper, and the people lining both sides of Sukhumvit throwing water disappeared when I got to Na Jomtien.

Maybe the table should say:

19 Pattaya/Jomtien

20 Na Jomtien/Bang Saray

That's what I'm hoping anyway, but hey, I'm also hoping to win the lottery...

2 hours ago, joepattaya1961 said:

City Hall wants to tone down Songkran in a more traditional manner?

Haven't heard anything about "traditional" whatnot actually replacing or mitigating the usual water/powder/ice throwing yet. Thought Soi 6 & Walking St. were supposed to be targeted?

On Saturday, April 15, 2017 at 11:36 PM, Mojomor said:

Hope not. I have enough already

Me too. You always get a couple of idiots who don't play fair, tonight one very ugly Thai girl was still throwing water over passers by on 2nd Road at 10pm, and this fool had been doing this for many hours. Must be brain dead..

3 hours ago, jubkhun said:

Me too. You always get a couple of idiots who don't play fair, tonight one very ugly Thai girl was still throwing water over passers by on 2nd Road at 10pm, and this fool had been doing this for many hours. Must be brain dead..

Now  there is some time limit of when to start and when to stop playing songkrain !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This just gets more funny this thread. :cheesy:

Maybe a bit after 18:00 on the 19th

may work.

Edited by onemorechang

Please update the thread on the 20th or 21st. I think we may be getting fake news here.

Regarding Songkran in Pattaya/Jomtien on the 20th it is either an error or fake as there are Thai news articles talking about road safety and Songkran preparations for Pattaya on the 19th, nothing mentioned for 20th.

I think many of us on here can go back lots of years and confirm that we've never had Songkran on the 20th in Pattaya, only it moves down to Bang Sare direction.

There are events set up for this evening on the 3rd road (DNA & Mor Lam concert) which are set up to run into the main Songkran day tomorrow.

1 hour ago, DMC1 said:

Regarding Songkran in Pattaya/Jomtien on the 20th it is either an error or fake as there are Thai news articles talking about road safety and Songkran preparations for Pattaya on the 19th, nothing mentioned for 20th.

I think many of us on here can go back lots of years and confirm that we've never had Songkran on the 20th in Pattaya, only it moves down to Bang Sare direction.

There are events set up for this evening on the 3rd road (DNA & Mor Lam concert) which are set up to run into the main Songkran day tomorrow.

Absolutely correct. Pattaya as such finishes on the 19th. It then moves to Na Jomtien, Ban Ampur and Bang Saray on the 20th. People see Na Jomtien as beginning at Pattaya Tai. It has followed the exact same pattern for the years and years that I have lived in that area.

Just now, reenatinnakor said:

So Pattaya Songkran 19th falls on a Wednesday which is cheap cinema ticket day, so I have to navigate a way to Central without getting wet! Could go late in the evening I guess.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Good luck with that! Have you ever been there on the final day of Mayhem? I messed up yesterday having a need to go to Sattahip not realising it was there day. It was like a war zone. I have always wondered why Sattahip itself has an odd day for there Songkran when Na Jomtien, Ban Ampur and Bang Saray come under Sattahip District and not Pattaya anyway.

4 minutes ago, champers said:

Off topic, but Trumpisms are becoming part of the US lexicon. Am I right or is it just an alternative fact?

I think the alternative facts are supposedly other facts that haven't been given proper weight according to the speaker. In this case, it's either true or not true that Songkran will be on the 20th in Jomtien. I doubt it will be, as it never has been previously, but we'll need to know for planning purposes next year.

3 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

I think the alternative facts are supposedly other facts that haven't been given proper weight according to the speaker. In this case, it's either true or not true that Songkran will be on the 20th in Jomtien. I doubt it will be, as it never has been previously, but we'll need to know for planning purposes next year.

Hugely tremendous.

This is one of those "a guy in a bar told me" threads, Its the 19th and will not be on the 20th. If anyone has information to the contrary please say so and give the source of the information. 

7 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

I think you will remain dry anyway North of Jomtien 12