226 died, 2,457 injured in four days of Songkran festival

rooster59

22 hours ago, tso310 said:

Years ago I'm sure road deaths were counted only at the scene of the accident. That may have changed.

That is still the case, people who expire in hospital later on are not counted. As usual no mention of the 365 dangerous days. This year is on track to beat the current average of 25000 road deaths a year. And what about the terrible toll of the maimed, people in a coma or confined to a wheelchair?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Ramen087 said:

The 226 fatality number comes from a Thai newspaper that rhymes with 'The Fangkok Host'. Do you really think this number is all that inaccurate?  Your doubt is most likely a matter of denial of actuality given the hundreds of videos in the public domain that show insane methods or driving and riding on non-holidays.

Have no idea what you have written? A few years ago i witnessed 3 deaths at a songran festival . 1 shot . 1 machetted to death and 1 beat to death . Where they on the statistics . If you think thailand records everything accuratley when they cannot even record immigration properly , you live living in cloud cucckoo land

2 hours ago, dazzz said:

Have no idea what you have written? A few years ago i witnessed 3 deaths at a songran festival . 1 shot . 1 machetted to death and 1 beat to death . Where they on the statistics . If you think thailand records everything accuratley when they cannot even record immigration properly , you live living in cloud cucckoo land

with three thousand vehicles impounded for having drunk drivers behind the wheel, I think you are the one who is dreaming if you believe that 226 number is not damn close to the mark... as of the day of the reporting, of course

There’s a lot of supposition about how stats are compiled ALL the starts are compiled in Thailand and there are not such rules about which are recorded. Those who access and use the stats may put their own spin on them, but you need to read the criteria used - as far as I’m aware there are no published criteria for the RTP stats. Of course there is also no reason to suppose anyone in the RTP has expertise is road safety statistics analysis..

It’s all very well claiming that is the situation for Song Khran, but today, Monday is still a public holiday and I’d suggest the bulk of traffic returning will be today and through the night - so we need to wait until Tuesday’s figures are in before any judgment can be made.

Although the publicity generated by the government’s blunderbuss dictums before Song Khran may have had the unintended side effect of making people more safety aware, I think more likely factors in low death rates could be
Lighter traffic spread over a wider period of finishing work
...and the possibility that some major roads have been upgraded recently with the addition of Armco barriers and better markings - this may not decrease collisions but certainly would have an effect on what happens once vehicles start to careen.
I also take issue with the use of the phrase “caused by drunk driving” - this is nonsense as there is no way the police or any authority could have analysed that number of incidents in such a short time - I believe the correct terminology is that “alcohol was involved” - this means that one or more person involved had been drinking - to establish this of course one needs a verifiable test result - again something I think the RTP would have difficulty in providing at such short notice

23 hours ago, dazzz said:

You need to be more careful who you hang out with....and how you compile statistics

On 16/04/2017 at 1:42 PM, DMC1 said:

It's all nice suggesting this and that but unfortunately this isn't the West and if it was like the West most of us probably wouldn't be living here. All these nice laws we have in the West have consequences, such as cost of living, taxes etc.

We can have a good rant but nothing much will change in our lifetimes.

Did any of you catch the Thai news this morning? A couple more Songkran incidents where people ended up kicking the sh** out of each other. One incident was in Uthai Thani where two girls were repeatedly assaulted and kicked in the head by Thai males whilst lay on the floor! The other one was a brawl between rival water throwers in pick up trucks!

Good road safety saves a country money...

The location or the time it takes doesn't alter the basic science of road safety

I'm sorry I don't know what you're rambling on about. Thailand is a poorer society and educating people on road safety and enforcing laws will take longer and cost lots of money. I don't think Buddhists are generally interested in the basic science of road safety when their beliefs go something like 'what will happen will happen anyway'.

On 18/04/2017 at 8:41 AM, DMC1 said:

I'm sorry I don't know what you're rambling on about. Thailand is a poorer society and educating people on road safety and enforcing laws will take longer and cost lots of money. I don't think Buddhists are generally interested in the basic science of road safety when their beliefs go something like 'what will happen will happen anyway'.

Put simply the world isn't  flat regardless if where you are. Scientific approach to road safety methodologies are applicable becausw by their very nature they take into account the local situation. Thailand is not a poor country. Dustibution of wealth is the third most uneven in the world and the country has the 9th largest motor industry. The root of the problem is the failure of successive Thai governments to implement the scientific approach to road safety  to the roads of Thaland. It is however true that in general it is poorer countries that suffer most from road deaths, which is why the situation in Thailand is all the more shameful however it is also self evident that few people writing on this thread actually have any  real understanding of road safety. This is indicated by the proliferation of single issue solutions, attribution of blame and theories based on the concept that driving is in some way racially dictated and the failure to realise that drivng itself is not the whole picture when it comes to road safety.

Put simply the world isn't  flat regardless if where you are. Scientific approach to road safety methodologies are applicable becausw by their very nature they take into account the local situation. Thailand is not a poor country. Dustibution of wealth is the third most uneven in the world and the country has the 9th largest motor industry. The root of the problem is the failure of successive Thai governments to implement the scientific approach to road safety  to the roads of Thaland. It is however true that in general it is poorer countries that suffer most from road deaths, which is why the situation in Thailand is all the more shameful however it is also self evident that few people writing on this thread actually have any  real understanding of road safety. This is indicated by the proliferation of single issue solutions, attribution of blame and theories based on the concept that driving is in some way racially dictated and the failure to realise that drivng itself is not the whole picture when it comes to road safety.

You're either the new TV road safety troll or should be drafted in immediately to solve Thailands road safety issues. I said 'Thailand is a poorer society' not a 'poor country', due to the way it is run in comparison to other countries. We all know there is plenty of money higher up the chain.

11 minutes ago, DMC1 said:

You're either the new TV road safety troll or should be drafted in immediately to solve Thailands road safety issues. I said 'Thailand is a poorer society' not a 'poor country', due to the way it is run in comparison to other countries. We all know there is plenty of money higher up the chain.

Thanks for the repost........I don't think you added any more than that