WP and visa cancelled, how much time will I have?

2 hours ago, ajarngreg said:

Did you marry in Thailand? No idea if that's a must. But you'd theoretically get a Non-O Multiple Entry visa based on marriage to a Thai wife.

You need the original marriage certificate and a copy of her ID card. I guess she's got her Thai address in her ID card, right?

You do not have to show financial proof  at the Thai consulate in Sawannakhet, near Mukdahan/Thailand. 

I hope that helps. And you're allowed to work on such a visa. 

P.S. She doesn't have to be with you when you apply for your visa.

Thanks for the info. We were originally married in Thailand. Not sure when she registered the marriage.

we also married in the USA and I do have an original of that one. I have a copy of her ID card, but she seems to have gotten her USA citizenship and is now using that as her ID. I will research further into this path and thanks again.

4 hours ago, Took said:

Hi,

This is what I did about a half year ago.

The Immigration Office where I did a visa extension

told me that I could postdate the visa cancellation 

15 days before the termination date on the letter

from my school.

I went back to the office to try to get it cancelled

10 days before the actual termination date, only

to find that my school failed to prepare for a proper

termination letter. They forgot to have the letter

addressed to the office and put a school stamp 

on it as well. They wouldn't accept the letter so

I wasn't able to get it cancelled then. The school

had been closed so I couldn't get a new letter.

And I went up to Nong Khai and visited the Immigration

Office to get it cancelled. They asked me for a termination

letter and accepted the one that they wouldn't at the

office where I did the extension. Then I went on to

Vientiane and came back to Thailand again.

As for WP cancellation, I got a copy of Power Of Attorney

at the Labour Office, signed my name on it and sent it and

my WP to my school so that they could get it cancelled

for me.

Hope that helps.

Please see post # 6. The form for the wp cancellation a Letter of Attorney included and ready to download. 

• 1 month later...
On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 1:00 PM, ubonjoe said:

You don't have to do it all on the same day.

You can go to immigration a few days before your termination date and they will post date the cancellation to that date. That would give you time to leave the country before that date.

The work permit cancellation can be done before or after you go to immigration. Your employer can cancel the work permit if you give them power of attorney to do it.

Let's say you are on an extension of stay, and you have a termination letter from the company that says that employment is terminated effective from 30 June.  When you then turn up at immigration at Bangkok airport to fly out (on a one-way ticket) on 30 June...:

1. Will the termination letter be enough to get the extension cancelled there and then, or

2. Does one still have to go to CW immigration before that date to get the extension cancelled  post-dated to 30 June, and

3. If one goes to immigration before that date, and has the extension cancelled post-dated in that way, meaning let's say you go to immigration on 25 June and the extension is cancelled as per 30 June..........is one then still legal when turning up at airport immigration on that day, 30 June?

4. Also, if one does any of the above and intends to fly out on 30 June, but has a 90 day report that is due on 20 June......does he still have to do that 90 day report on 20 June, even if he will cancel the extension later, say 25 June, and leave x days later on 30 June?

5. With regard to work permit: does one only need the cancellation form and work permit book and nothing else, e.g. letter from employer or anything else?

Thanks

:smile:

2 hours ago, arminbkk said:

Let's say you are on an extension of stay, and you have a termination letter from the company that says that employment is terminated effective from 30 June.  When you then turn up at immigration at Bangkok airport to fly out (on a one-way ticket) on 30 June...:

1. Will the termination letter be enough to get the extension cancelled there and then, or

2. Does one still have to go to CW immigration before that date to get the extension cancelled  post-dated to 30 June, and

3. If one goes to immigration before that date, and has the extension cancelled post-dated in that way, meaning let's say you go to immigration on 25 June and the extension is cancelled as per 30 June..........is one then still legal when turning up at airport immigration on that day, 30 June?

4. Also, if one does any of the above and intends to fly out on 30 June, but has a 90 day report that is due on 20 June......does he still have to do that 90 day report on 20 June, even if he will cancel the extension later, say 25 June, and leave x days later on 30 June?

5. With regard to work permit: does one only need the cancellation form and work permit book and nothing else, e.g. letter from employer or anything else?

Thanks

(All answers assuming you will be leaving by air.)

1. Unless you have a reentry permit, canceling the extension is not needed if leaving on the termination date. If you have a reentry permit, I think it better to sort this out in advance at your immigration office. The termination latter should be enough to do that.
  2. See above.
  3. Yes.
  4. 90-day reports can be made up to 7 days late, so you would be OK on June 25.
  5. Usually, it is the employer's responsibility to inform the labor department of the cancellation. You, or your employer, needs to return the work permit book.

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

(All answers assuming you will be leaving by air.)

1. Unless you have a reentry permit, canceling the extension is not needed if leaving on the termination date. If you have a reentry permit, I think it better to sort this out in advance at your immigration office. The termination latter should be enough to do that.
  2. See above.
  3. Yes.
  4. 90-day reports can be made up to 7 days late, so you would be OK on June 25.
  5. Usually, it is the employer's responsibility to inform the labor department of the cancellation. You, or your employer, needs to return the work permit book.

Thanks BritTim, and yes I will be leaving by air. I do not have a re-entry permit.

With regard to item 1, as is detailed in this thread there is the distinction made between the extension becoming invalid, and

the extension having to be, formally, cancelled. It is mentioned that the extension should be, strictly following the rules,

cancelled as well and from your reply I would infer that although it is not strictly following the rules, it is not

necessary to also cancel the extension.

So I guess the answer to item 2 is that one does not "have to" go to immigration beforehand to cancel, but one could

still do that.

Regarding item 4: I assume that you mean to say that if I would go to immigration to cancel the extension, that action

on that date, 25th June, would be regarded as notification as well, correct?

Thanks

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

1. Usually, it is the employer's responsibility to inform the labor department of the cancellation. You, or your employer, needs to return the work permit book.

No need to return the work permit book. Even if you turn up yourself and cancel it they let you keep it.

4 hours ago, arminbkk said:

there is the distinction made between the extension becoming invalid, and the extension having to be, formally, cancelled.

The extension does need to be canceled, as otherwise you are continuing to use a now invalid extension. It is perfectly legal in every way to do this by leaving the country. Canceling at an immigration office is neither better nor worse. It depends on your overall plans which is better. The two most common reasons for formally canceling the extension are (i) you will be leaving via a land border that requires it; or (ii) you want to leave a couple of days later than the termination date, and avail yourself of the 7 days grace period to leave the country, possible by applying for a new extension (declined)

4 hours ago, arminbkk said:

Regarding item 4: I assume that you mean to say that if I would go to immigration to cancel the extension, that action on that date, 25th June, would be regarded as notification as well, correct?

Doing the 90-day report is a separate action. Canceling the extension is not an address notification. However, you could do it during the same visit to immigration.

12 hours ago, BritTim said:

The extension does need to be canceled, as otherwise you are continuing to use a now invalid extension. It is perfectly legal in every way to do this by leaving the country. Canceling at an immigration office is neither better nor worse. It depends on your overall plans which is better. The two most common reasons for formally canceling the extension are (i) you will be leaving via a land border that requires it; or (ii) you want to leave a couple of days later than the termination date, and avail yourself of the 7 days grace period to leave the country, possible by applying for a new extension (declined)

Doing the 90-day report is a separate action. Canceling the extension is not an address notification. However, you could do it during the same visit to immigration.

I was planning on doing the notification at Big C Lardprao, don't believe they do cancellations there also.

Perhaps I should just go to CW to do it all there.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 1:00 PM, ubonjoe said:

You don't have to do it all on the same day.

You can go to immigration a few days before your termination date and they will post date the cancellation to that date. That would give you time to leave the country before that date.

The work permit cancellation can be done before or after you go to immigration. Your employer can cancel the work permit if you give them power of attorney to do it.

How far ahead (how many days max.) can I get the cancellation post-dated by immigration at CW?

15 days as mentioned in post ID 29?

Thanks

Lots of great info in this thread.

From my reading it appears that if someone ending their employment has a multiple re-entry permit, they should go to immigration to cancel their extension of stay - a maximum 7 days in advance, because if they don't, the extension of stay isn't cancelled when leaving by air but is invalid due to the end of employment.

However, if said person doesn't have a pre-existing re-entry permit, there is no need to go to immigration as their extension will be fully cancelled when leaving by air.

Please confirm 

Edited by primeta

On 6/20/2017 at 7:58 PM, ubonjoe said:

I would say 7 days at the most.

It was mentioned in this thread that to cancel an extension of stay, as mentioned in my posts (meaning an extension of stay on non imm B for work), one would only need a letter from the employer to postdate the cancellation and do it properly. Now I went to CW to do just that and I get a form in Thai with list of documents that the company has to submit. The form says " Cancle Non Immigrant Visa Category B". I made clear to IO that I want to cancel an extension not a visa. She insisted that company must submit documents for this.

See photo attached.

So what happened to just submitting a letter to cancel an extension?

59508cc42545d_rotatedimmage.jpg.5f45cbae04bfc8cc1b45aa286f540b7b.jpg

Edited by ubonjoe
rotated immage