More accidents but deaths well down on 2016

rooster59

I decided to take the family out for a drive to Udon Thani today (Sunday), yes during Songkran, I knew it was a risk, but I drove slower than I normally do and was even more vigilant in watching everybody else driving/riding/walking, and all went well, we enjoyed our day out and saw nothing out of the usual, which includes the idiots who fly by in the right lane with no where to go with car ahead doing half their speed.

What saddens me is that all the way to Udon Thani, there was only one police road stop along the road from Ban Dung to the main road where you turn right to go to Udon Thani. The traffic was backed up for a while with inpatient idiots going up the inside, felt like putting my car half way across so they couldn't pass, then I said to myself, lets see if they pull them over and fine them 400 baht like they did me in Udon Thani a few weeks back, nope, no such luck, anyways by the time we got to the police, they were signalling cars to go but slowly and they did, until they spotted a farang (me), pull over, where you go, where you come from, licence, showed him my Thai licence and he said ok you go, I was disappointed, what is the point of having a road block if your not going to Breathalyze people, this is what gets the idiots off the roads at this time of the year, sad really, oh well, this is the land of smiles.

Edited by 4MyEgo

I agree that a lot of Thais have the attitude that Lord Buddha is going to look after them and if not  then all their amulets will

do the job, they do not seem to get that if they slow down and quit trying to thread the needle when they see a small area with

no cars so go fast, then bang. Sad to say  butthese accidents happen every year, since I started going to Thailand which is a lot

of years now. Nothing has changed so far, and I am not hopeful to see a change in my lifetime. All I can say is I hope most of

you were lucky and still are out of the hospital and have your vehicles and motorbikes intact. Happy Songkran to all and get

ready for the next up coming Thai Festival.  Be happy you are alive and sweating in the hot April weather in Thailand

Geezer

19 hours ago, hocuspocus said:

Do those figures elevate Thailand to no.3 or do they stay at no.2

Believe me this is not one game you want to be Number 1 in Its so sad these people are just dying and the government does not know how to stop it. Like one guy said on here in the last 10 years Thailand has lost 250,000 dead from road accidents The Americans never lost that many men in WW1 I still think educating the Thais to drive properly is the answer and train your police force and provide them with good back-up equipment ( like latest cars latest motor  bikes) Maybe clean out the the top brass from the police force and start again Does anyone know what training the police go through before becoming a policeman ready for duty? I looked at some of the police and it is like that dont even know the rules themselves that they suppose to be enforcing

23 hours ago, NormanW said:

Glad I stay inside!!! Totally unnecessary deaths.

I feel for all those families having to pickup the pieces. What a Songkran they'll have. 

If your lucky you just get away with a hangover on this one. Brings back memories of parties past but then there were fewer idiots to compete with people were less stressed. We used to sing "Show me the way to go home I'm tired and I want to go to bed. Had a little drink about an hour ago and it went right to my head" Life had a different slant on things back then. 

3 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

If your lucky you just get away with a hangover on this one. Brings back memories of parties past but then there were fewer idiots to compete with people were less stressed. We used to sing "Show me the way to go home I'm tired and I want to go to bed. Had a little drink about an hour ago and it went right to my head" Life had a different slant on things back then. 

Yes those days seemed a tad more respectful and genuine. 

How times/people change eh.

Mind you, I still witness and experience that way on a weekly basis still so not too bad to stop work and move to another country. 

There's nowhere perfect and it could always be worse. 

Stay safe and sit back and relax;)

1 hour ago, NormanW said:

Yes those days seemed a tad more respectful and genuine. 

How times/people change eh.

Mind you, I still witness and experience that way on a weekly basis still so not too bad to stop work and move to another country. 

There's nowhere perfect and it could always be worse. 

Stay safe and sit back and relax;)

Your right nowhere is perfect and as you say sit back and enjoy the ride. My pension check hit the bank sooo we are good to go for another month. The gods are truly smiling on us. 

13 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Your right nowhere is perfect and as you say sit back and enjoy the ride. My pension check hit the bank sooo we are good to go for another month. The gods are truly smiling on us. 

You know the sad thing about all this We are all Falang from different countries living in Thailand Most of us have Thai wives G/F etc Dont ask me about the etc ok lol We worked hard in our own countries and when it gets to pension age we cannot afford to live in our own countries Shame on all you western governments for making your country so expensive to live in Its like ok  your working days are over get and you dont pay tax get out go live another country we dont want you anymore. I know we talk lots about the bad Thai drivers But really in the end who fault is it that they drive so bad? ONLY answer  is the government. They did  nothing to show these people how to drive properly by bringing in laws saying you must do this do that before you can get a license Its called educating your population That cost money to do and we know governments like collecting money off  people not spending it on them I am not talking about the present government in Thailand Educating Thais about driving properly should of been started about 50 years ago Today the facts 250,000 Thais have died on the roads in the last 10 years

4 hours ago, Happyman58 said:

You know the sad thing about all this We are all Falang from different countries living in Thailand Most of us have Thai wives G/F etc Dont ask me about the etc ok lol We worked hard in our own countries and when it gets to pension age we cannot afford to live in our own countries Shame on all you western governments for making your country so expensive to live in Its like ok  your working days are over get and you dont pay tax get out go live another country we dont want you anymore. I know we talk lots about the bad Thai drivers But really in the end who fault is it that they drive so bad? ONLY answer  is the government. They did  nothing to show these people how to drive properly by bringing in laws saying you must do this do that before you can get a license Its called educating your population That cost money to do and we know governments like collecting money off  people not spending it on them I am not talking about the present government in Thailand Educating Thais about driving properly should of been started about 50 years ago Today the facts 250,000 Thais have died on the roads in the last 10 years

Like you post. Your home country also makes it difficult to leave without paying a pound of flesh as well. Add that to the many pounds you paid during your working years. Slavery has different levels we were closer to the top maybe elite slaves. 

6 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Like you post. Your home country also makes it difficult to leave without paying a pound of flesh as well. Add that to the many pounds you paid during your working years. Slavery has different levels we were closer to the top maybe elite slaves. 

Yep. We have a system in Australia work till you are 67 and you can get old age pension How dare they? When our lazy politicons can retire at 55 and get full access to their super which by the way is a very generous system they have just for themselves. Lets be honest if a job was going and 2 people were both qualified for the job one was 64 and the other was 35 who would get the job?

2 hours ago, Happyman58 said:

Yep. We have a system in Australia work till you are 67 and you can get old age pension How dare they? When our lazy politicons can retire at 55 and get full access to their super which by the way is a very generous system they have just for themselves. Lets be honest if a job was going and 2 people were both qualified for the job one was 64 and the other was 35 who would get the job?

The dare and double dare.