Over 6,500 vehicles seized in drink driving operation

webfact

Over 6,500 vehicles seized in drink driving operation
By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The authorities have said 6,544 vehicles were seized in operations aimed at preventing road accidents from drink driving during the first five days of the so-called seven dangerous days of the Songkran holiday.

Colonel Sirichan Ngathong, deputy spokeswoman of the National Council for Peace and Order, told a press conference on Monday that 4,982 motorcycles and 1,562 four-wheel vehicles were seized during April 12-16.

She said 210,513 motorcyclists and pillion riders had had legal action taken against them for drink driving and/or riding without helmets as well as other traffic violations.

She said 166,145 people had been arrested for violating traffic laws related to public and private vehicles with four wheels or more.

On Sunday, which was the fifth day of the monitoring period, 1,013 motorcycles and 319 four-wheel vehicles were seized, Sirichan added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30312450

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-17

This is a little confusing. Yesterday we were told there had been 300,000 drunk drivers caught. They have seized 6,500 Vehicles in relation to drink driving offences.

What about the other 293,500? Why weren't they taken too? Were those people allowed to just pay a fine and drive off?

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

This is a little confusing. Yesterday we were told there had been 300,000 drunk drivers caught. They have seized 6,500 Vehicles in relation to drink driving offences.

What about the other 293,500? Why weren't they taken too? Were those people allowed to just pay a fine and drive off?

Yep, Know one person who was fined quite a lot for being over the 'limit' then allowed to continue on the journey driving the same car. Makes real sense??? 

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Thats the same question I asked myself but then I did not study math here. 

I'd really like to believe some of these bs headlines, but I don't remember coming down in the last shower of rain!  

The problem is, the more fabricated the reporting is, the more they believe it themselves.

All i want to say here in rawai or chalong phuket where a few thais just sit scratching their bits doing nothing. They only get up to take a leak. Young boys on motorbikes roar past them with not a care in the world. What a total waste of time. If thais or non thais wish to kill themselves let them if they kill others then kill them is what i say. Every year these tents come out got what.... they do nothing

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Probably, but with much lighter wallets.

27 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

" Hey te luk , I have got the car back  , lets go out to celebrate with a beer or six "

My thoughts exactly... got the car back honey, stung me a bit but we got enough baht to go out and get hammered again tonight

we can invite our friends to the bar, all stand around a table with a bottle or two of whiskey, drink till 3 am and drive home shit-faced

Songkrans over so the BIB won't be around !!

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Probably, but with much lighter wallets.

Wife's  son in law  caught  big time  .drunk  on  a  motorbike, no crash  helmet, jumping a set of red lights,  and no  driving  license,

He got a 4000 baht on the spot fine ,with the help of the other son in law , who has been one of these guys who sits  in a tent   reading   a newspaper all day , and a part time special constable?  one of these guys  who , directs traffic at funerals  ect  , fawn   suit ,big black  boots , he "helped them out", hence the small fine ,but ,from what  I can gather ,as they where finishing off, one of the  BIB ,said  another  500 baht ,which according to the family, went  towards  some  whiskey ...........welcomb to Thailand .