Report a moto on sidewalk and get paid half the fine

webfact

Report a moto on sidewalk and get paid half the fine

By Sasiwan Mokkhasen, Staff Reporter

Motorbike-pavement-696x464.jpg  

Motorbike taxis ride along a Bangkok sidewalk in a file photo. Photo: Matichon

BANGKOK — Those who report motorbikes parking or riding on the sidewalk will get half of the fine if it is paid, City Hall said Sunday.

The fine, which runs upward of 5,000 baht, will be divided in two, with half given to the Good Samaritan whose photo or video leads to tracking down the motorcyclist who ignores the law in this latest attempt to tame the capital’s pedestrian areas.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/bangkok/2017/04/17/report-moto-sidewalk-get-paid-half-fine/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-04-17

Be careful. I see people taking pictures all the time. Get an angry guy on a bike who thinks you're taking his pic on the pavement and there could be violence. 

On a plus side - people who ride motorcycles are generally low-so, so there's less chance of being sued for defamation. 

29 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Would this include policemen riding on the sidewalk?

You'd have to be a lot braver than me.  

Plus, I checked my WP, and turning in traffic violators for reward money wasn't listed.

3 minutes ago, Sphere said:

This has the potential to become a better source of income than being a traffic policeman......

I'm always mystified that the BIB and the litter fine guys miss out on what looks like such an easy gravy train that enforcing the traffic rules could be. 

Actually that should be the job of the RTP. Easy to spot these wrong-parkers.

But for my self, I stay out of that business. No thanks. Better the RTP does the job and donor half of the fines to a charitable contribution. There are plenty of them.

I'm.in favour of this if it reduces the number of idiots riding mitorbikes up and down the footpaths. I spent all day walking around Hong Kobg today. Simply glorious! No street stalls, no bikes or cars parked on the sidewalk, nice, even paths to walk along. Perfect! As it should be. 

15 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'm always mystified that the BIB and the litter fine guys miss out on what looks like such an easy gravy train that enforcing the traffic rules could be. 

Nailing smokers at 2000b a pop would be easy too, especially with the Chinese smoking everywhere.

How was this proposed 50-50  divvy-up of the value of citizens' fines arrived at?  Is it based on research that shows it reflects standard practice in the piece-rate plain brown envelopes system that ordinary traffic police rely on?  Will RTP resist this attack on their annual incomes if it proves to be an  ëffectivve"initiative?

Further, Is it the start of a nation-wide taskforce of  mercenary, untrained and inexperienced  "bounty hunters" (or professional police volunteers) cluttering up the courts with their own unofficial campaigns against particular offences?  I always thought it was very dangerous to stand between an armed  officer and his main source of income.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

The Thai caste system limits them to preying on defenseless people who are lower in the food chain, i.e., have no social status, connections or other recourse.

Wow I can actually get rich here?  I guess foreigners also will get paid ?

So if I report 10 bikes daily that could give me a healthy income of 5 to 10000 baht daily . 

This is creating a lot of job opportunities! 

Edited by balo

Just now, fusion58 said:

The Thai caste system limits them to preying on defenseless people who are lower in the food chain, i.e., have no social status, connections or other recourse.

So, around 90% of the population.  That's still a lot of traffic fines even if you had to leave the Mercs, Bentleys, Ferraris and Lambos alone.

7 minutes ago, impulse said:

So, around 90% of the population.  That's still a lot of traffic fines even if you had to leave the Mercs, Bentleys, Ferraris and Lambos alone.

The BIB only target people whose socioeconomic status is lower than their own. Not sure if that works out to ~90% of the population.

Edited by fusion58

2 hours ago, ikke said:

Dangerous ! Sounds like communism.... 

Not really.

Sounds more like free market capitalism.

Report someone for personal gain and not for the benefit of society as a whole. 

People tend to drive on the roads in communist societies. 

Well, those with vehicles anyway. 

Edited by Bluespunk

Next time someone complains about bikes on the pavement it'll be the publics fault because their not reporting them. Tessakit are too busy seemingly to catch them, seen five of them gathered round a table one day and one hour later they were still there, probably waiting for their turn to stop a smoker

Sent from my SM-P901 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Forget "Pokemon Go!" and instead spend your days more sensibly and lucratively! I can already foresee whole armies of enthusiastic citizens swarming out every morning to earn a handsome and easy living, because we surely have more than enough selfish idiots racing down sidewalks, their loose shirts fluttering in the breeze. The big question is: Can we also report police officers? They seem to have a particular penchant for misusing pedestrian-only sidewalks. 

11 hours ago, Sphere said:

This has the potential to become a better source of income than being a traffic policeman......:passifier:

I guess the policemen will call all days to get the bonus. If they are not allowed to call there brother can do it and they share the bonus.

11 hours ago, djayz said:

I'm.in favour of this if it reduces the number of idiots riding mitorbikes up and down the footpaths. I spent all day walking around Hong Kobg today. Simply glorious! No street stalls, no bikes or cars parked on the sidewalk, nice, even paths to walk along. Perfect! As it should be. 

Yet you live in Thailand? Hong Kong can be quite dull...

Perhaps if the sidewalks become too civilised, Thailand will lose its appeal. I think a lot of expats enjoy its anything goes lifestyle.