Thai marriage visa for our family

Hi

I have a query regarding what type of visa we will need to get to go to Thailand. So I am married to a Thai man and we have three children. We have been in Thailand for a year and we are currently in Australia. We previously had a non o multi entry valid for one year. This visa required us to leave Thailand every 3 months. We would like to get a visa for everyone that means we could do the 90 day reporting instead. 

My my husband is working fifo and we are meeting up again with him in Thailand in May because as we understand it he needs to present to apply for the spouse visas. 

I was thinking that we could go back to Thailand  on a tourist visa and then apply for  the change of visa type paying the 1900 baht to change the visa type. Is this possible or are we going to need to do something else?

The children are Thai from birth and should not need visas. They should have Thai passports for entry to the country.

You could get the multiple entry non-o visa while in Australia. You could apply in person or by mail to the embassy in Canberra or the consulate in Sydney. Your would need your marriage certificate and a copy of your husband"s house book registry and ID card.

You children could get non-o visas based upon being Thai nationals.

If you enter on a tourist visa you could do a change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry based upon qualifying for an extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai. Your husband would need to be present when you apply plus you would need photos of you both in around the house and etc.

Your children could apply for one year extensions based upon being Thai nationals. Only proof that their father is Thai would be needed.

• Like 1

Thanks Ubonjoe

do you think just the normal 30 day tourist visa would be long enough to get the different visa or should I apply for the longer tourist visa?

do you need a return ticket for tourist visas into Thailand?

2 minutes ago, snooze said:

do you think just the normal 30 day tourist visa would be long enough to get the different visa or should I apply for the longer tourist visa?

do you need a return ticket for tourist visas into Thailand?

If you enter on a 30 day visa exempt entry (not a tourist visa) you would only have 15 days to apply for a the 90 day non immigrant visa entry. You must have at least 15 days remaining on your entry or the 30 day extension of it.

If enter without a visa you could be asked to show a flight out of the country within 30 days of arrival to board you flight. A low cost one way ticket to a nearby country would be accepted to meet the requirement.

Since you qualify for a non-o visa it would be best to get at least a single entry visa rather than a tourist visa.