British PM May calls for early election on June 8

Jonathan Fairfield

13 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

It's interesting that she has ruled out a TV debate. Arguably, she is not the most convincing of communicators, so could it be a fear at ConHQ that she, personally, will come across badly, or could it be that they do not want to expose her to possibly awkward and potentially damaging questions?

It is not surprising. I watch PMQs fairly regularly and she never answers questions from the opposition, always some attack on past events or people concerned.

She would lost if she had to give real answers in front of real people under some form of adjudication like Question Time.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

It's interesting that she has ruled out a TV debate. Arguably, she is not the most convincing of communicators, so could it be a fear at ConHQ that she, personally, will come across badly, or could it be that they do not want to expose her to possibly awkward and potentially damaging questions?

Why should she have a TV debate, she is streets ahead of her opposition. Are you suggesting she could not hold her own with the likes of Corbyn, Fallon and Sturgeon, she would wipe the floor with them and you know it, but good try.

Im in UK at moment and everyone I know seems to be upbeat about it and consensus is she has wrong footed em all; 

Labour is a joke at moment and will not lead a Govt while they have Corbin in charge, just like when they had Kinnock and the last idiot (talk about putting the wrong brother in the job lol) The rest of the rubbish could not run the proverbial P i $$ up in a brewery, so the Tories should walk it right now and probably are the safest hands to lead the UK on and through Brexit, eventually to better things in next five years... everything seems to be on the up at the moment here...

2 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Article 50 has been moved, AFAIK it can not be retracted.

I think this election is going to be Hard or Soft Brexit?

It is doubtful if the LP will have retraction in their manifesto. As for what the election will be about re Brexit, just to be helpful the Tories will have hard and soft. As for Labour, remember they are split so an agreed manifesto is awaited with bated breath.

Just now, SheungWan said:

It is doubtful if the LP will have retraction in their manifesto. As for what the election will be about re Brexit, just to be helpful the Tories will have hard and soft. As for Labour, remember they are split so an agreed manifesto is awaited with bated breath.

The Tories have definitely stated Hard Brexit. but there again did TM not say only a few days ago there would be no General Election until 2020???

6 minutes ago, Basil B said:

The Tories have definitely stated Hard Brexit. but there again did TM not say only a few days ago there would be no General Election until 2020???

My understanding of Hard Brexit is 'No Deal' and whereas that is a Tory option it is not a definite. In fact one of the reasons given by TM for the election is to strengthen her hand in negotiations for securing an agreement.

4 hours ago, Basil B said:

Don't wish to split hairs but it is May that is saying a hard brexit rather than the Tories in general.  Many of the Tories are very much trying to block a hard brexit.  May is trying to rein them in

12 hours ago, 7by7 said:

"It would seem you never did national service or served your country."

You have made comments similar to that many times before.

You seem to be saying that only those who have served in the armed forces are entitled to an opinion, let alone a vote!

No I am not saying that at all. It was relating to a certain poster who I have discussed patriotism and serving in the forces before. You are making assumptions that are frankly not true, People are entitled to an opinion. My post is linked to being  proud of your country and those who have served doing so.

I was just looking at the UK consumer lending statistics which are now being reported at pre 2008 financial crisis levels whilst consumer savings levels are at a record low.

And whilst the budget deficit narrowed significantly on the back of a much weaker Pound, the fact that the Pound is now rising could be problematic.

I'm sure we all hope it will be a softer than soft Brexit.

Why should she have a TV debate, she is streets ahead of her opposition. Are you suggesting she could not hold her own with the likes of Corbyn, Fallon and Sturgeon, she would wipe the floor with them and you know it, but good try.

Yes, I am suggesting that. Hopefully the opposition will miss no opportunity to point out that she is scared to face scrutiny.

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Labour, the mighty Lib Dems, the Greens, the Scot Nats - a 'soft Brexit' coalition in the making. Hopefully this horrible woman's lies and political expediency will be her, and the "nasty" Tories', downfall.

I wouldn't hold your breath if I was you!

8 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Don't wish to split hairs but it is May that is saying a hard brexit rather than the Tories in general.  Many of the Tories are very much trying to block a hard brexit.  May is trying to rein them in

That why she called the election... too many dissidents in in her own party.

Yes, I am suggesting that. Hopefully the opposition will miss no opportunity to point out that she is scared to face scrutiny.

TM faces scrutiny every Wednesday at PMQ's & she's currently on the campaign trail (Bolton yesterday).

I also hear on the BBC that Corbyn has ruled himself out of a Labour/SNP coalition as it 'has' been suggested.

The Westminster opposition parties 'political game playing' rings so true after what TM stated in her speech, most of the electorate just wants the UK Government to focus on the Best Brexit deal possible.

My viewpoint of all the opposition is lower than ever for having TM reluctantly call a snap GE.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It was only decided on Monday...

No, this has been in the planning for a long time, Now we know why George Osborn accepted a full time job that would conflict with his parliamentary duties but would not resign at the time, A by-election would not have been good for the Tories.

So if Osborn knew who else did?

25 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Labour, the mighty Lib Dems, the Greens, the Scot Nats - a 'soft Brexit' coalition in the making.

After the resounding success of the Lib Dems since their unholy alliance went pear-shaped, I am sure they are all rushing to sign up for that.

15 minutes ago, Basil B said:

That why she called the election... too many dissidents in in her own party.

Exactly. And with a fair-to-good chance of getting a larger overall majority in the house, the internal dissenters will be somewhat diluted.

18 hours ago, dunroaming said:

I don't think anyone seriously expects a "swing" to labour.  The strategic voting would be best served towards the other parties.  I also think that the vast majority of people accept that Brexit must go ahead, it is what is negotiated that people want a voice in.  Labour are dead in the water but who will those labour voters turn to now?

The LIberal Democrats of course. The  only party + the SNP which have consistently been opposed to Brexit. And article 50 is not irreversible if a deal can't be made brexit will not happen - end of story.

4 minutes ago, aslimversgwm said:

The LIberal Democrats of course. The  only party + the SNP which have consistently been opposed to Brexit. And article 50 is not irreversible if a deal can't be made brexit will not happen - end of story.

It does not matter what you want or the Liberal Undemocratic Party led by Tim but Dim. The British people have voted to leave - end of story.

Judging by how swiftly UK politics develop's 'end of story' would be factually incorrect.

A brief browse of the EU's red lines could well mean a no deal is a stark possibility & the U.K. Reverting to WTO.

As for the Liberal Democrats + SNP?

Opposing Brexit is a right of view & choice. Abstaining a vote in many eyes is clearly seen as weak, obtrusive and unwilling to adapt to changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

You mean this type of detailed scrutiny. As it would seem that the SNP like to quote figures that are favourable to them. Unfortunately the accuracy of those figure are not always correct.

and when even Labour can pull the SNP to bits,that shows how low you are.

1 minute ago, nontabury said:

You mean this type of detailed scrutiny. As it would seem that the SNP like to quote figures that are favourable to them. Unfortunately the accuracy of those figure are not always correct.

and when even Labour can pull the SNP to bits,that shows how low you are.

I was thinking she could maybe have a go at explaining this:

TM.jpg

Labour and the Lib Dems need to forge a strategic partnership if they want the Tories out. Labour candidates should stand down where there is a good chance of  Lib Dem beating a Tory and vice-versa. This arrangement can only truly work in England and Wales. The SNP would be forced into a corner; failure to join a Labour / Lib Dem alliance would be akin to supporting the Tories.

Will this scenario play out? I doubt it.

4 minutes ago, champers said:

Labour and the Lib Dems need to forge a strategic partnership if they want the Tories out. Labour candidates should stand down where there is a good chance of  Lib Dem beating a Tory and vice-versa. This arrangement can only truly work in England and Wales. The SNP would be forced into a corner; failure to join a Labour / Lib Dem alliance would be akin to supporting the Tories.

Will this scenario play out? I doubt it.

There is talk of the Greens not standing in Dumfriesshire, Clydesdale & Tweeddale as a way of helping the SNP unseat David Mundell, the only Tory MP in Scotland, and other possible strategic constituencies. 

Has the SNP ruled out an alliance with LibLab? If they were offered what they want, I see no reason why they would reject it. 

Archived