Snake In Our Garden

ltdknowledge

Yesterday afternoon we arrived home from shopping to be greeted by a long silver brown snake, about 5ft long, on our porch. It slithered away as soon as it saw us and I believe it went down a hole in the foundations of the house. I don't like the idea of killing it but wondered if anyone knows if it is dangerous.

It's the first time we have notice it and I can only assume it has come from the rear of the property which is a disused area of land reads and grass. Some work has been going on there but the land is big enough for it to have move further into the grass rather than stay with us. The only other alternative is the G/F's sister has been gardening and trimmed back the bushes quite a lot. However it is a very small garden about 8ft which runs around the perimeter of the home, so I wouldn't have though this would be the ideal place.

Should we be concerned bearing in mind we have a 3 year old.

Thanks

I am not a snake expert and cannot identify the snake from your description. I can say that snakes generally are not aggressive, and will only strike when they are disturbed or feel trapped, etc. When I have surprised rat or bamboos snakes here they are in a big hurry to get away from me. I would keep an eye on the 3 year old when outdoors, esp. if you have areas where snakes are likely to be hiding out, such as brush piles, thick foliage, etc. You should probably inform him/her that she should never reach into a hole or pile of anything when in the yard. We have snakes in our yard from time to time. Usually they are harmless rat or bamboo snakes, but we have also have several very long pythons, 3 meters or so. Those might not be good for kids as well! I have lost 3 chickens so far.

Could be one of the Bronzeback family they are fairly common, perhaps you can do a search and find a picture somewhere so you can identify it properly.

Bronzeback have big eyes, they eat lizards and frogs not usually small children. :o

I found one yesterday morning on the concrete slab where the water tanks are. It was brown and a couple of feet long though I didn't look too closely.

It was sunning itself and when I disturbed it, it went under a tank and away from me which was nice as I was ready to reverse my course instantly.

It is cold at night now and I think that snakes come out to get warm in the sun much as we do.

I think that if we leave each other alone things will be fine.

I am more worried about the dogs than my 2 1/2 year old son as there is somebody with him all the time.

Yesterday afternoon we arrived home from shopping to be greeted by a long silver brown snake, about 5ft long, on our porch. It slithered away as soon as it saw us and I believe it went down a hole in the foundations of the house. I don't like the idea of killing it but wondered if anyone knows if it is dangerous.

It's the first time we have notice it and I can only assume it has come from the rear of the property which is a disused area of land reads and grass. Some work has been going on there but the land is big enough for it to have move further into the grass rather than stay with us. The only other alternative is the G/F's sister has been gardening and trimmed back the bushes quite a lot. However it is a very small garden about 8ft which runs around the perimeter of the home, so I wouldn't have though this would be the ideal place.

Should we be concerned bearing in mind we have a 3 year old.

Thanks

By your description it sounds like you have a property developer on the loose around your grounds.

It,ll probably be sniffing around looking for an opportunity to do its dirty deed.

You would be advised to set the dogs on it asap(if you have any,if not borrow some)and do the community a favour.

I work on the basis that all snakes are dangerous in this country... its the safest option.

If you discover where the little bugger sleeps/nests then i would suggest calling the local snake farm and asking them to remove it for you. It might cost you a few hundred baht (if its non venomous) or you might earn a few hundred baht (if its venomous) - either way best to get it removed if you have small children around. Whilst educating them that snakes are not toys is a good thing, that could be better achieved with books/videos and a trip to the zoo than to educate the child from a live specimen in the garden!

Just my two satang

My Thai Friends inform me that if it runs away its not poisonous

if it stays and looks at you generally it is..

Only Snake I encountered was a Baby Cobra

the Volunteer Rescue people came and got it

They usually will always seek an escape route from something bigger than them, unless cornered. Its wise not to follow them. :o

a week ago I was clearing bushes just a few metres from my home and a 50 cm long green snake moved slowly away from me (despite all the noise from the builder's machines and from myself chopping the wood).

thais told me to get out because it's a poisonous one - I have returned the next day to finish the job but carefully removing all the foliage from the ground away from me.

no, I wouldn't like to see any snake fangs - unless it's a dead snake

My Thai Friends inform me that if it runs away its not poisonous

if it stays and looks at you generally it is..

Only Snake I encountered was a Baby Cobra

the Volunteer Rescue people came and got it

They usually will always seek an escape route from something bigger than them, unless cornered. Its wise not to follow them. :D

Yep.Even the most venomous snakes will normally "cut a track" if cornered.

The rat snake which is non-venomous,will normally attack and even chase you.I have first hand experience of this..... :o