Real Cosmo Etc - Bad idea ?

freedomnow

They will be much better than an open face helmet...I tested mine (real orbit predecessor to cosmos) at 55 kph with impact into soi dog and concrete road/kerb and it saved my head from serious damage for sure.

2 hours ago, canthai55 said:

That being said - if there were catastrophic failures of any one brand it would be all over the Net.

Yeah your right like in MotoGP Simoncelli's helmet coming off,  manufacturers salesmen are full off deleted many on ear should get with it.

Ride to live.

Edited by Kwasaki

Most flip-front helmets are only certified as open-face-helmet, only a few brand names have both certification for open-face-helmet and full-face-helmet for the flip-front helmet. As example the Shark Evo3 is certified for both open-face and full-face...

Of course the brand names that are both open-face and full-face certified are not at the budget level...

Looking at one myself. Want a helmet with more ventilation. But lack of 2XL size here for my fat head means back to the world for work time to shop for one. Schuberth looks good. $$$ tho'

Agree, that will be my next brand (C3pro)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had several LS2 helmets during my 5 years in Chiang Mai.  I like them because they seem to fit my head better than all others I've tried.

Now are they the real McCoy or fake copies? Who knows? But they seem to have a lot more padding/polystyrene than some of these construction site helmets I've seen on the market.

As for the composite type helmets (flip face), yes I had one and it was great. Cost a bit more than a full face but so much easier to put on. The LS2 version was very well constructed and I liked the internal sunglasses (similar design to an astronauts helmet).

In my experience - regarding safety - the lower priced helmets protect just as well as the premium brands. Tesco/Big C brands not included. The premium brands give you a nicer finish, and often better materials. So long as it passes DOT/Snell/ECE good to go. Used HJC for years, no regrets. But noisy and no where near as nice as a premium helmet - at 3 or 4 times the price mind you.

I always remember being told years ago when I first passed my test.

10 quid helmets are for a 10 quid heads.

I'd never sacrifice quality for price when it comes to safety gear.

Shoei, Arai and the other top name brands are worth the cash.

If your budget is limited buy a plain coloured helmet rather than one with fancy graphics. 

You only have one head.

Police and other professional riders wear flip front helmets in the UK. Top brand versions are as good as a full face lid for normal riding and commuting.

Edited by Pdaz

11 hours ago, freedomnow said:

Generally are Shark and LS2 helmets the safer/decent entry-level vs the local shoddy brands ?

depends what you mean by shoddy; i wouldn't call REAL Helmets shoddy but i also haven't seen any test to confirm the ECE rating.

The Australian NSW Transport Dept has a website showing tests they have done including some flip-up helmets like LS2 and Shark

http://crash.org.au/ratings.php

Out of interest the laws recently changed in Australia so now European UNECE 22.05 helmets are allowed to be worn in Australia. There seems to be a bit of confusion about labelling (insisting on showing UNECE instead of just ECE)  but In theory it means a REAL helmet could be worn in some parts of Australia.

Some info here on the break down of the ECE compliance markings label on the chin strap

http://www.mccofnsw.org.au/a/372.html

A bit of info on the helmet label confusion in Australia

https://motorbikewriter.com/helmet-compliance-confusion/

http://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov.au/stayingsafe/motorcyclists/motorcyclehelmets.html

• 1 month later...

My REAL helmet smell real bad even tho remove the velcro/snap attached liner for laundry really often.

Really should  buy another B2000 REAL helmet real soon because been really happy with the first two.

Did clonk the noggin on the road once after drunk rammed papa from behind.

REAL really saved the day!

..or night, actually.

On 19/04/2017 at 9:09 PM, freedomnow said:

Generally are Shark and LS2 helmets the safer/decent entry-level vs the local shoddy brands ?

I'd say considering the fact that former world superbike champion Tom Sykes and former motogp champion Lorenzo wear a Shark helmet, that they go way beyond entry level.

I have one of those 'cheaper' flip front "full face" helmets and its fine, still way safer than an open face helmet. I wear it for riding around town where I'll generally be doing slower speeds. Would I wear it racing around the mountains? no way.

It might be fine in an off but I wouldn't take that chance.

Edited by macknife

51 minutes ago, Nickymaster said:

My friend bought one of those crappy 2000b Reall helmets

I dropped mine at about 55KPH ( with my head in it) onto the concrete road and kerb it didn't crack.

59360ad73ae12_RealOrbit.jpg.a90cf5c61e2ccfa224768273d92b73df.jpg