Time to get a new air-conditioner?

ilostmypassword

Our air-conditioner has a problem I've never encountered before. For some reason, sometimes the compressor fails to start pumping when we turn on the a/c.  If we wait a while, and turn it off and then turn it on again, often it works fine.  At least for a few weeks and then becomes less and less responsive. Our a/c guy has tried twice to fix it. The first visit was a short one and seemed to do nothing. The second time he pretty much disassembled it and cleaned it up again and it works better but it does seem to be on a gradual decline again. Now he say we just have to get a new machine. It seems to me that if the compressor is strong enough to work sometimes, than the problem  probably does not lie with the compressor. Or at least the compressor's problem is fixable. I should add that the wall unit is fairly new, maybe 2 years old, but the compressor is about 8 years old.  Any suggestions?

Now, you will likely need both pieces as the air handler for the r22 system will not be compatible with a new 410 system....was it undersized and overused?  Could easily be shot.  April is a bad time to take care of these things.  Too much you didn't state, but if you used it low on refrigerant, the compressor could be shot.  Power fluctuations are hard on them..too.  Were your electric bills high?

53 minutes ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Now, you will likely need both pieces as the air handler for the r22 system will not be compatible with a new 410 system....was it undersized and overused?  Could easily be shot.  April is a bad time to take care of these things.  Too much you didn't state, but if you used it low on refrigerant, the compressor could be shot.  Power fluctuations are hard on them..too.  Were your electric bills high?

Our power bills haven't been unusually high. Anyway, I was hoping you'd comment.  So I guess we'll just have to get a new one. I'm thinking of buying an inverter mainly because it can provide heat during the cold season. This cold season was very mild but most of the others have given us some pretty severe stretches of cold weather. Any brand you would recommend?

Edited by ilostmypassword

Another possible problem could be with the fan unit for the compressor. If the fan unit is shot/broken then it won't provide the cooling that is required to the outside unit.

Then what happens is that the compressor shuts off due to temperature...this is a safety measure that helps further possible damage.

I had a fan unit/motor replaced last year....cost about 2000 baht and it restored the AC to a level of a new machine again. Money well spent IMHO. 

Edited by CMKiwi
Spelling mistake

Always best to replace both parts of the A/C system at the same time as they are matched to work with each other efficiently, covered by warranty, etc.

Yes, March-May is the worst time of the year to have issues with an existing unit or be in the market for a new one. Prices are at their absolute highest now, and technicians are hard to pin down on when they can come as it is their busiest time of the year.

Inverter units are good. Stay clear of the cheaply priced Hitachi and other inverter units. Our guy says it could take take up to 2 weeks to get parts for Hitachi. Best brands in Thailand are Mitubishi and Daikin. Saijo Denki is also very good - most hospitals have them. Parts for all 3 brands can usually be found in 3 hours or overnight form Bangkok says our guy.

The newer Daikins use r32...and just about all the others use 410...that can create it's own set of problems....techs don't have the tools or refrigerants or the oils to go with them and any cross contamination could kill it.  It is a much more precise process than most people think.  Needs to be a perfect seal, for one.  

The newer Daikins use r32...and just about all the others use 410...that can create it's own set of problems....techs don't have the tools or refrigerants or the oils to go with them and any cross contamination could kill it.  It is a much more precise process than most people think.  Needs to be a perfect seal, for one.  

Most, if not all, current inverter AC units use r32.

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

On 4/19/2017 at 6:30 PM, ilostmypassword said:

The second time he pretty much disassembled it and cleaned it up again and it works better but it does seem to be on a gradual decline again.

the compressor of an aircon unit is sealed, it can't be dissassembled. you are most probably talking about the outside unit. from all indications, also based on the age of the unit, the problem is obviously an electrical one and could have several different reasons:

-command from thermostat inside unit not received,

-starting capacitor and or starting relay faulty,

-overload relay faulty,

-lack of refrigerant = compressor switched off due to overheating.

Very interesting topic and informative responses resonating with a problem I have..

I have a 3 year-old Mitsubishi a/c unit in the bedroom and while the fan revolves quietly and slowly, distributing cold air from the wall unit, it doesn't matter what the fan setting is on the remote contro (1,2,3,4) it's always the same speed (slow). Occasionally there's a noise from the  unit outside, as though the fan is about to start, but it only lasts for maybe one minute before it stops. It might repeat the process again once or twice in an hour.

Does anyone know an a/c engineer who can diagnose and repair the problem(s)? My "usual" engineer seems only able to vacuum clean and hose down the filters and vanes on the wall unit in the bedroom and he also hoses down the external unit too. He says he also recharges  the a/c fluid, all at a cost of around 1500 baht.

Thanks and regards,

Joe

4 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

Most, if not all, current inverter AC units use r32.

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

Carrier's newest split models are 410a, and give a 10 year warranty on compressor and three years on everything else.  Both Inverters...models 42TOVG and 42TVG.....up to 17000 BTU.  They only give a 5/1 warranty on their R32 systems.  Carrier Thailand.

On 04/20/2017 at 8:03 AM, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Or a bad capacitator, that doesn't provide enough power to start the compressor. Look up "hard start kit...".  I like Carrier/York/Panasonic....

Hi.

I Have just had an AC  repaired for that very reason.  The compressor would not kick in.  I tested it and instead of 50uF it was 1uF.  This means that the third phase which the capacitor provides which should give 120 degrees phase shift so there is an even rotating magnetic field to drive the compressor motor instead is virtually in phase and the motor is going to stall.  The aircon was repaired with it failing again within 24 hours.  I asked the ''technician'' why he fitted a 30uf about half the size.  The 30uf would not provide the 120 degree shift resulting in reduced torque but being considerably smaller it probably would not handle the current  demanded.  he said it was for a Mitsubishi Mr. Slim.  I would imagine a 9000btu unit...unfortunately this was a Samsung 24000btu.  After fitting a comperable capacitor it works fine.  Now my Mitsubishi 9000btu

Has failed with the same problem.  I am hoping it is the same cheap repair.

Edited by Dellboy218