What's the Motivation for Removing Street Vendors?

eldragon

Not sure where we're going with this.
My Thai wife washes hands before handling food maybe that is an exception but other people running cafe's places alongside might not,  l guess they think germs get done away with in cooking. 
l always wash my hands before eating as a matter of habit maybe l'm an exception. 

I don't know what the blokes on about,seems he lives in a slum area. Thais never stop cleaning everything as soon as I sit down to enjoy a Nescafé..?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Perhaps we should ask "Why were pavements/sidewalks built along some roads?"

Was it to provide a space for pedestrians to walk safely out of the traffic lanes?

Was it to provide a space for street vendors?

Was it to provide off road parking for motorcycles?

Was it to provide a mix of any of the above?

Sidewalks/pavements should be for the original use intended. Roads are for ground vehicles not airplanes and helicopters right. What would people say if suddenly helicopters were parked along your local main/high street?

Not sure where we're going with this.
My Thai wife washes hands before handling food maybe that is an exception but other people running cafe's places alongside might not,  l guess they think germs get done away with in cooking. 
l always wash my hands before eating as a matter of habit maybe l'm an exception. 

What I'm getting at is it doesn't really matter if you eat street food or at a restaurant. Even at an upscale one. The level of sanitation just isn't the same in Thailand as it is in the west, nor is the degree of enforcement.

20 hours ago, eldragon said:

What I'm getting at is it doesn't really matter if you eat street food or at a restaurant. Even at an upscale one. The level of sanitation just isn't the same in Thailand as it is in the west, nor is the degree of enforcement.

Well l'm one who takes care of myself.  l don't want western interference in Thailand or western type enforcement.

It's one of many reasons why l'm here. :smile:

Well l'm one who takes care of myself.  l don't want western interference in Thailand or western type enforcement.
It's one of many reasons why l'm here. :smile:

There's nothing wrong with educating people on sanitation. As it stands, you're rolling the dice when you eat out in Thailand.

On 22/04/2017 at 5:09 PM, DSJPC said:

this government keeps shooting itself in the foot!!!...good cheap street food has always been a HUGE attraction for tourists/foreigners...but T.I.T.!!!

There isn't really much "good" in a bowl of anything you get for 25-35thb at the side of the street.... 

If you want nutritious food that isn't loaded with salt, sugar, msg or fried in the cheapest oil on the market you would be safer to make it yourself... 

It is cheap though, I'll give you that much... 

3 hours ago, eldragon said:

There's nothing wrong with educating people on sanitation.

Agree

3 hours ago, eldragon said:

As it stands, you're rolling the dice when you eat out in Thailand.

Disagree. :laugh:

3 hours ago, speedtripler said:

There isn't really much "good" in a bowl of anything you get for 25-35thb at the side of the street...

Disagree,  if you know the people it can be OK.

For tourist maybe a bit dodgy but plenty of chemists about. :biggrin: