Bought a fake phone battery?

canopy

I bought a replacement battery for a Samsung S5 at a mobile phone section of a shopping mall. They tried to sell me a generic brand saying they are better than the original, but I insisted on an original Samsung battery. Reluctantly they sold me one. From all appearances It looked legit. For the first charge I let it stay plugged in overnight as I believe is the proper conditioning. But after a few weeks the battery life has dropped dramatically. The battery that came with the phone lasted many years before that happened. So I am suspicious this is not a genuine battery at all, but  a cheap fake with a Samsung decal. Is there a way to buy a for sure genuine Samsung battery? Like lazada, from Samsung directly, etc.

Consumer protection is more or less unknown in Thailand and so you have to take care of yourself. Fraud is unfortunately not seldom, especially with these shops. Long time ago, one of this shops installed software and log-in in my wife's phone. I had to reset the device...

Sometimes even staff of official stores do things without your permission. So I always insist to setup the device myself.

I recommend to buy the battery in a official Samsung shop. It may be more expensive, but is a genuine part.

I often use Lazada, but not for this kind of stuff.

At Hua Hin we know a good shop for phone and tablet repairs for older devices out of warranty.

I have to say that the generics here are often more than adequate. Certainly better than the genuinely faux Samsung batteries here. I maintain an SGS4 for a friend, so have experimented with several types.

I think you'll have to go to a large Samsung shop to be sure of getting a true OEM battery, and you'll probably pay a hefty price.

I found this post on pantip, with an answer from a Samung rep. albeit from 2015:

https://pantip.com/topic/33273749

Hello, you're a member of the 1985810 number. The Crazy
price of the battery is 890 baht, but Connie annoyed me to check it first. 
Because the battery is guaranteed for 1 year in the insurance will be claimed at no cost. 
Please contact the service center to find out. http://www.samsung.com/th/services it

I had an SGS5 for a brief period, I think there are two different types: standard and NFC, but not sure what the difference re: NFC is exactly. And that battery is a bit larger than other batteries.

So the part number appears to be 1985810, and the price 890 THB.

You can search pantip or elsewhere for the P/N and Galaxy S5 to get more info.

I bought a replacement battery for an IQ phone from Lazada. It didn't even fit in the phone properly. It had all the IQ markings and looked like the real thing. I let it charge overnight and it was still dead. I checked the battery information on the Internet and discovered it was NOT an IQ battery. I emailed Lazada and complained that the battery was no good and not genuine. Lazada refunded my money and told me not to bother returning the battery. When buying a replacement battery, I think you pretty much get what you pay for.

I do have one battery called Commy. It was not cheap and it does appear as good as the original battery. If you buy a replacement battery from a phone shop, I'd advise you to listen to the shop people. They know very well if a battery is good or not. Thai people don't like confrontation and the last thing they want is an irate customer loudly complaining about a defective battery.

It may also be that the battery has lost capacity with age. I have no idea whether the battery for the S5 was used in other phones, but if not there may have been a limited production run of spares, in which case the battery you purchased, even if genuine, may already have been on a shelf for over two years. Unlike alkaline batteries, lithium ion batteries don't store indefinately.

Sent from my ASUS Chromebook Flip C100PA using Tapatalk

You can go to a Samsung Service Centre and order a genuine Samsung replacement battery there. The one I once ordered for my Galaxy S-2 was even cheaper than the generics offered in Power Buy etc.

Not sure if you can trust a Samsung shop to sell you a genuine one or not.

• 1 year later...
On 4/20/2017 at 8:32 AM, juehoe said:

Consumer protection is more or less unknown in Thailand and so you have to take care of yourself. Fraud is unfortunately not seldom, especially with these shops. Long time ago, one of this shops installed software and log-in in my wife's phone. I had to reset the device...

Sometimes even staff of official stores do things without your permission. So I always insist to setup the device myself.

I recommend to buy the battery in a official Samsung shop. It may be more expensive, but is a genuine part.

I often use Lazada, but not for this kind of stuff.

At Hua Hin we know a good shop for phone and tablet repairs for older devices out of warranty.

Hello

What is the name of the shop in Hua Hin Thanks

Archived