Democracy activist subjected to 'attitude adjustment' after plaque complaint

webfact

Democracy activist subjected to 'attitude adjustment' after plaque complaint
By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The coordinator of a so-called Dharma-based democracy club was taken on Thursday to “adjust his attitude” after he challenged authorities by filing a police complaint regarding the disappearance of the historical plaque marking the Siamese Revolution in 1932.

The man, identified as Boonsin Yokthip, was taken from Dusit Police Station after he finished filing the complaint with police.

Boosin reportedly said he wanted officers to take him to the attitude adjustment session so that he could explain true democracy to them.

The officers reportedly took Boonsin to the nearby 11th Military Circle.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30312816

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-20

15 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

That's a novel way to protest. Leave him alone to protest, no media report. Volunteer himself to be attitude adjusted and he gets highlight reel. This junta is a real sucker for increasingly poor image. 

True.  It is obvious people are starting to get fed up.  The plaque theft has left a bad taste in many people's mouth.  It was handled poorly by the authorities. 

That's a novel way to protest. Leave him alone to protest, no media report. Volunteer himself to be attitude adjusted and he gets highlight reel. This junta is a real sucker for increasingly poor image. 

Military governments do not always behave rationally.

( Even Thaksin abused his position with defamation lawsuits to tamp down even the tiniest of criticism. ) 

When you are trying to maintain absolute control you cannot allow a single, inconsequential act to occur without punishment. Whether it's eating a sandwich, or reading a book, or liking a post, or taking a train - a paranoid leadership must maintain total control as they feel - incorrectly in the case of Thailand I think - one single act could cause their plans to fail. 

In the case of the plaque I don't think there was any real "plan" per se, for dealing with the aftermath. A small cadre of ultra-royalists fomented this act, and the Junta probably had no option but to let it proceed.

The obvious solution would be for the perpetrators to step forward, come public for their actions and reasons, but that would require a strength of character they may not possess.

An insurance policy on his part, perhaps? 'If something happens to me, you know who has got me and why...'

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

The obvious solution would be for the perpetrators to step forward, come public for their actions and reasons, but that would require a strength of character they may not possess.

If they come forward and tell their reasons they will be spending a long time in jail (if they are not killed before they spill the beans).

This is not organized by some citizens on their own initiative.

2 hours ago, yellowboat said:

True.  It is obvious people are starting to get fed up.  The plaque theft has left a bad taste in many people's mouth.

I don't see it. I think very few people care about the plaque. In fact most people, if they gave it any thought, probably have the vague idea that it represents something not quite tasteful nowadays. Many people have pictures of Rama V in their homes - there is at least a sentimental attachment to the days of absolute monarchy.