Overstay visa 2 to 3 days or get extension

Hello all, I was looking for a bit of advice please!?

Last month I did a visa run to mae Sai to extend my tourist exemption visa another 30 days and that expires on the 22nd April (tomorrow). I plan to leave the country for home in the next few days but the flights tomorrow and the following day are hellishly expensive. I'm current on my way to bangkok.

So I have 3 options as I see it.

1. Go to the Bkk immigration office tomorrow (April 22nd) and extend another 30 days (1900 baht) and fly back on the 24th/25th at significantly lower flight cost

2. Overstay my visa 2-3 days, and rock up to the airport and suck up the 500 baht per day overstay fine. Hoping I don't get picked up by the police in the next few days

3. Fly home at great expense tomorrow 22nd April (uneconomic and damaging to my social plans for the weekend :-) )

Both options 1 & 2 are cheaper than flying home on the 22nd April (tomorrow)

So my question is this! What option do the great and the good here suggest is the best option? Secondly are there any longterm negative implications of 2-3 days of overstay stamp on my passport, when considering that I plan to return to Thailand in 2 months time and spend 7-9 months per year here, on and off going forward!? 

Thanks for reading this far ;-)

Cheers

John

1. Go to immigration on Monday and apply for the 30 day extension and you will not be fined for the overstay since the office is closed on the date you current 30 days ends. After Monday you would be fined for every day of over stay.

2. Fly out on Monday and pay 1000 baht overstay fine or on Tuesday which would be 1500 baht.

• Like 1

Getting the extension does not cost much, and is presumably not too inconvenient. Currently, the overstay would not be likely to land you in any real trouble, but its long term impact is less predictable. It is prudent to avoid it.

Bushtuckaman

Last month I did a visa run to mae Sai to extend my tourist exemption visa another 30 days and that expires on the 22nd April (tomorrow). I plan to leave the country for home in the next few days but the flights tomorrow and the following day are hellishly expensive. I'm current on my way to bangkok.

Immigration office says that you should apply around 1 week before your visa expires !!! you are very late. In case you get stopped tomorrow, by the police for some reason, you might face some problems !!!!  if you are not lucky !!!! saving 1900 can cost you lot more

I do NOT understand the mindset of : Should I overstay or not.

What does a overstay stamp in your passport and on the computer say?.....

it says: I stayed longer than I was legaly permitted to in YOUR country,  screw YOUR laws / regulations!

There are so many ways, depending on WHAT permission to stay / visa you have, and you have between 7 ( including weekends ) and 30 days in advance to solve any problem.

You get of a airplane at 2:00 in the morning, 13 hour flight, you go to immigration, the officer says " You have overstay stamp, entry refused", 100% valid reason to refuse entry.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tracyb said:

I recommend extending your stay.  Keeping yourself on the right side of the law may seem inconvenient at this moment but it will pay dividends in the future, including your peace of mind.  

he is not per today on the right side. he might be locked up if he isn't lucky

Looks like you are too late with it already being the weekend. Personally I would always extend to avoid 

1- Having the overstay stamp in my passport. You never know whet might bite you in the arse down the line. 
2- The risk of having a legal problem during my overstay.
That said I did go many years ago to extend for 2 days in Pattaya (soi 8) and immigration refused to do it stating the fine at the airport was cheaper.

if you are coming back in two months and plan to stay for long periods using visa exempt and tourist visas, you should avoid the overstay.  get the extension.  you'll be doing alot more of them in the future, might as well get one now.

Ok, thanks for the advice people! I intend to go tmrw and get the extension!

Which is the best place to go in bkk to get this sorted or are there multiple, I'm currently in Bang Kapi area!?

Immigration office at Chang Watthana 

Or

Chamchuri Square Building

are these both options?

So I went along to Chaeng Wattana (building B, enterance 2) this morning at 9 am and finished in under 2 hours! I planned to arrive earlier but the bkk traffic got me!

All went smoothly. 1900 baht lighter for 30 days extension, no overstay stamps or charges were incurred! I did not get arrested ;-)

Cheers again for all the helpful posts folks!