Motorbike Flat Tire Repair

JesseHumphry

Hello all! I've rented a motorbike from a shop in the old city, but I live out near the superhighway on the east side. I think I ran over something which caused a small puncture in the rear tire of the motorbike. 

What I'd like to do is get it fixed / filled and then drive it to the rental shop and inform them. They seem to have been very kind and accommodating thus far, but I'm not sure how they'd deal with a flat. More pressing, however, is that I'm unaware of any places or people to contact to help fix this tire in the first place. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Flat tires are the responsibility of the renter. You have to get it fixed at your expense. It's always been this way, so it's not just this shop. 

If you look around on power and light poles, you are likely to see small posters with the big words at the top you can see in this:

Tire repair

Call them and they will come wherever you are. Of course, you will need a Thai speaker to help you. 

The petrol station in CM uni had a lad who fixed my puncture.

He had a 'Bradal'  with a closed slot in the end.

He inserted a short length of 'Waxy' cord, then drew it out trimmed it up and re inflated the tire.

I rode gently across town to my Man who looks after my bikes, he inspected checked tire pressure and pronounced OK. That was about 3 months ago and I have checked but never needed to top up pressure.

john

The petrol station in CM uni had a lad who fixed my puncture.
He had a 'Bradal'  with a closed slot in the end.
He inserted a short length of 'Waxy' cord, then drew it out trimmed it up and re inflated the tire.
I rode gently across town to my Man who looks after my bikes, he inspected checked tire pressure and pronounced OK. That was about 3 months ago and I have checked but never needed to top up pressure.

john

Tire plug. OK if speed slow

5 hours ago, johng said:

At any motorcycle shop or even a motorcycle taxi stand on a street corner they will fix a puncture for you...ask the price first don't pay more than 200 baht

Good luck pushing the bike all the way to a motorcycle shop.

Just potter along to the nearest motorcycle mechanic place - they're everywhere - and have the tube changed. Usually 80 baht. If it's tubeless, they'll need to do the plug thing. Can't remember the price of them but shouldn't think it'd be much more. No need to inform rental place.

As stated the plug type repair only works on tubeless tyres. If you have a puncture in a tubed tyre then most likely it will be completely flat.

You can try and get some air into the tyre but it will quickly leak if it's a tubed tyre. Riding a bike on a flat tyre is not a good idea cause then you may also damage the side walls of the tyre and need to replace not only the tube but the tyre.

IMHO tubeless tyre are better as if you pick up a nail the the tyre doesn't go flat as fast as tubed tyres.  Plus they are easier to repair and you can inflate them in order to get to a repair shop.  Normally I repair my own tubeless tyres...repair kit is about 200 baht c/w 10 plugs.