Vocational students offered skills standard tests for better wages

webfact

Vocational students offered skills standard tests for better wages

PNSOC600423001001601.jpg

BANGKOK, 24 April 2017 (NNT) – The Department of Skills Development (DSD) now allows students in the last year of vocational certificate courses to attend skills standard tests, giving them accreditation for higher wages. 

The DSD Director-General Teerapon Khunmueang has announced that the department has eliminated the previous age requirement to attend skills standard tests. Previously, attendees had to be at least 18 years old which prevented last year students in vocational certificate courses from attending. 

The new arrangements only require test takers to have specific qualifications appropriate to each test, and be studying in the last year of a vocational certificate course. 

The DSD chief says this amendment will provide better employment opportunities for vocational students, and produce workers with suitable skills sets to employers. 

So far 3,424 students have taken the exams in 2017, with the most popular category being indoor electrician, followed by automobile mechanic, computer technician, welder, satellite and microwave communications technician, word processor, and mixologist.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-04-24

The problem is that there is a standard set by the ministry of education on what the students should learn but for many subjects there are just no books, the teachers have to basically write the books for the students by themselves so different teachers don't only have different knowledge or approach, they also have different teaching materials. Just comparing 2 teachers here where I work, one with a BA in education and the other with a PhD. in biochemistry... and they are supposed to be teaching the same subjects!
For me personally this means that I have books for 2 English subjects but for the other 7 subjects I teach everything is made from scratch as there are just no books to buy here in Thailand, neither in Thai nor English.