Trump says Mexico 'eventually' will pay for border wall

webfact

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Skywalker69 said:

Trump now agrees with the majority of Americans: He wasn’t ready to be president

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2017/04/28/trump-now-agrees-with-the-majority-of-americans-he-wasnt-ready-to-be-president/?tid=ss_fb&utm_term=.058f009a365c

-Is he ready to step down?

Seems he is in talks with the NRA, suggestion is instead of of a wall, thousands of vigilantes with a licence to kill... :sad:

16 minutes ago, habanero said:

border wall.jpg

Nice try, but as is typical of most memes, this is based on complete fabrications. First, the projected cost of Trump's wall is NOT $10 billion. According to Fortune magazine (not exactly a wellspring of liberal thought), the wall will cost somewhere between $15-25 billion (http://fortune.com/2017/01/25/donald-trump-mexico-wall-cost/). Democrats (not exactly impartial) are claiming the cost could run as high as $67 billion. Given the government's predilection for "cost overruns", it is reasonable to assume that the real cost will fall somewhere in between.

On the other hand, according to the Government Accounting Office, the annual cost of Illegal immigration runs more along the lines of $2 billion to $19 billion (http://www.gao.gov/products/HEHS-95-133).

While I favor cutting the rate of illegal immigration, using bloated, inaccurate figures from uncited sources stated in a meme in an attempt to bolster your argument only serves to erode your credibility.

I can't speak for the rest of the country. But, I have just moved back to Thailand from Texas, USA and the annual cost to the state of Texas for illegals is 12.1 billion dollars. 

27 minutes ago, habanero said:

I can't speak for the rest of the country. But, I have just moved back to Thailand from Texas, USA and the annual cost to the state of Texas for illegals is 12.1 billion dollars. 

This number comes from FAIR, which is notorious for massively overstating economic costs of immigration and massively understating economic benefits.

Explaining the basic flaws in FAIR’s reporting is actually simple: they exaggerate the costs associated with unauthorized immigrants while vastly undercounting their contributions. 

Finally, to exaggerate the costs as much as possible, FAIR vastly underestimates the contributions that immigrants make as consumers, workers, and taxpayers. This formula allows FAIR to make it look as if unauthorized immigrants cost more than they contribute.

http://immigrationimpact.com/2011/10/21/dishonest-data-on-immigration-cripples-honest-debate-and-sensible-lawmaking/

I am not trying to start an argument. But, when the annual report comes out in Austin and is published for all to see. The facts speak for itself. I do not get my information from news sources as I find them unreliable. 

One of the largest cost that most people don't look at or realize is the court cost and incarceration of illegals. 

Yes, I do call them illegals not undocumented. 

I went to the U.S. legally and jumped through all the hoops. Got a good education and  after so many years got my citizenship. So, I have no sympathy for anyone who "jumps the line".

On the other hand, I am all for immigrants coming to the U.S. legally. 

By the way, the  source  (Ilostmypassword) gives is from 2011. 

The source "Traveler19491" references is from 1995

Not very up to date.  At least my facts are from 2016 

Edited by habanero

30 minutes ago, habanero said:

I am not trying to start an argument. But, when the annual report comes out in Austin and is published for all to see. The facts speak for itself. I do not get my information from news sources as I find them unreliable. 

One of the largest cost that most people don't look at or realize is the court cost and incarceration of illegals. 

Yes, I do call them illegals not undocumented. 

I went to the U.S. legally and jumped through all the hoops. Got a good education and  after so many years got my citizenship. So, I have no sympathy for anyone who "jumps the line".

On the other hand, I am all for immigrants coming to the U.S. legally. 

By the way, the  source  (Ilostmypassword) gives is from 2011. 

The source "Traveler19491" references is from 1995

Not very up to date.  At least my facts are from 2016 

And I guess we'll  have to take your word for your source since you don't actually tell us what it is. Why is that?

33 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

And I guess we'll  have to take your word for your source since you don't actually tell us what it is. Why is that?

https://www.texaspolicy.com/library/doclib/Immigration-s-Impact-on-the-Texas-Economy.pdf

This is just one example. You may bring up any well respected publication and they will all tell you about the same thing.  The statistics are also presented out of Gov Greg Abbots office.

7 minutes ago, habanero said:

https://www.texaspolicy.com/library/doclib/Immigration-s-Impact-on-the-Texas-Economy.pdf

This is just one example. You may bring up any well respected publication and they will all tell you about the same thing.  The statistics are also presented out of Gov Greg Abbots office.

Thanks for the link. With opponents like you, who needs supporters?. Here is the conclusion from the study you cited. To comply with Thaivisa's  fair use rules, I omitted one sentence

The fact that Texas retains such a high immigrant population despite having generally less generous welfare programs than other states would seem to imply that the primary motivation for immigrants, both legal and unauthorized, is not simply to take advantage of government handouts, but rather to work and raise their families in an environment that allows them the opportunity to prosper. Indeed, in some cases the costs of enforcing current immigration policy are the only reason that illegal immigration is not a net gain for the state. In the end, the primary reason that immigrants are drawn to Texas, both from Latin America and elsewhere in the U.S., is due to the unique economic opportunities the state provides. 

19 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Thanks for the link. With opponents like you, who needs supporters?. Here is the conclusion from the study you cited. To comply with Thaivisa's  fair use rules, I omitted one sentence

The fact that Texas retains such a high immigrant population despite having generally less generous welfare programs than other states would seem to imply that the primary motivation for immigrants, both legal and unauthorized, is not simply to take advantage of government handouts, but rather to work and raise their families in an environment that allows them the opportunity to prosper. Indeed, in some cases the costs of enforcing current immigration policy are the only reason that illegal immigration is not a net gain for the state. In the end, the primary reason that immigrants are drawn to Texas, both from Latin America and elsewhere in the U.S., is due to the unique economic opportunities the state provides. 

I agree. Texas is a great place. While the majority of immigrants are from south of the border. The main fear is, the other groups from around the world that enter the U.S. from the Mexican border. I think the more educated can figure that one for themselves.

I have often admired the work ethic of the Latino population. I myself though, would never knowingly employ a business or company to do any work on my property that hired illegal or undocumented workers.  I take this approach why? 

Because;

I am a home owner in the state of Texas.

I pay taxes in the state of Texas,  Texas has very high property taxes

I am a resident in the state of Texas

I don't want my taxes to pay medical cost for illegals

I don't want my taxes to pay for school for the children of illegals

But most of all, I don't want people that are not residents of the state of Texas and have no financial interest in the state to tell me that my money should be used to support, educate, supply medical, food, housing  to someone who is breaking the law by being in the country illegally.

20 minutes ago, habanero said:

I agree. Texas is a great place. While the majority of immigrants are from south of the border. The main fear is, the other groups from around the world that enter the U.S. from the Mexican border. I think the more educated can figure that one for themselves.

I have often admired the work ethic of the Latino population. I myself though, would never knowingly employ a business or company to do any work on my property that hired illegal or undocumented workers.  I take this approach why? 

Because;

I am a home owner in the state of Texas.

I pay taxes in the state of Texas,  Texas has very high property taxes

I am a resident in the state of Texas

I don't want my taxes to pay medical cost for illegals

I don't want my taxes to pay for school for the children of illegals

But most of all, I don't want people that are not residents of the state of Texas and have no financial interest in the state to tell me that my money should be used to support, educate, supply medical, food, housing  to someone who is breaking the law by being in the country illegally.

If that's the case, why did you cite a document that basically makes the opposite case as supporting your position? But thanks again for the link. It

4 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

If that's the case, why did you cite a document that basically makes the opposite case as supporting your position? But thanks again for the link. It

To show that I am not heartless.  Immigrant labor has it's good and bad points.  I am all for dreaming of a better life. I just don't think breaking the law is the way to do it.  If you can break one law, then why not all of them? You may see it as harmless, but to someone else, it is a serious matter.  

I guess you are someone that sleeps with the front door open, not worrying who should come in your house.  After all, isn't it just fair that you share what you have with anyone off of the street?

My point is when it goes beyond that. The cost to the rest of us. I mean someone has to pick up the tab. There is no such thing as a free lunch as some would like you to think.

http://www.nationaleconomicseditorial.com/2017/04/07/illegal-immigration-costs-analysis-texas/

16 minutes ago, habanero said:

To show that I am not heartless.  Immigrant labor has it's good and bad points.  I am all for dreaming of a better life. I just don't think breaking the law is the way to do it.  If you can break one law, then why not all of them? You may see it as harmless, but to someone else, it is a serious matter.  

I guess you are someone that sleeps with the front door open, not worrying who should come in your house.  After all, isn't it just fair that you share what you have with anyone off of the street?

My point is when it goes beyond that. The cost to the rest of us. I mean someone has to pick up the tab. There is no such thing as a free lunch as some would like you to think.

http://www.nationaleconomicseditorial.com/2017/04/07/illegal-immigration-costs-analysis-texas/

Among people aged 18-54, 1.53 percent of natives are incarcerated, as are 0.85 percent of undocumented immigrants and 0.47 percent of documented immigrants, according to the Cato study of comparative incarceration rates.

http://thehill.com/latino/324607-reports-find-that-immigrants-commit-less-crime-than-us-born-citizens

Selling marijuana is a federal crime, too. I guess we should be afraid that people who work in marijuana stores in Colorado will be robbing us at gunpoint or worse?