U.S. carrier group heads for Korean waters, China calls for restraint

webfact

U.S. carrier group heads for Korean waters, China calls for restraint

By Ben Blanchard and Ju-min Park

REUTERS

r15.jpg

FILE PHOTO: The U.S. aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson transits the Sunda Strait, Indonesia on April 15, 2017. Sean M. Castellano/Courtesy U.S. Navy/Handout via REUTERS/File photo

BEIJING/SEOUL (Reuters) - Chinese President Xi Jinping called for all sides to exercise restraint on Monday in a call about North Korea with U.S. President Donald Trump, as Japan conducted joint drills with a U.S. aircraft carrier strike group headed for Korean waters.

The carrier group was sent by Trump for exercises in waters off the Korean peninsula as a warning, amid growing fears North Korea could conduct another nuclear test soon in defiance of United Nations sanctions.

Angered by the approach of the U.S. carrier group, a defiant North Korea said on Monday the deployment of the USS Carl Vinson was "an extremely dangerous act by those who plan a nuclear war to invade the North".

"The United States should not run amok and should consider carefully any catastrophic consequence from its foolish military provocative act," Rodong Sinmun, the official newspaper of the North's ruling Workers' Party, said in a commentary on Monday.

"What's only laid for aggressors is dead bodies and deaths," the newspaper said.

Two Japanese destroyers have already joined the carrier group for drills in the western Pacific, and South Korea said on Monday it was also in talks about holding joint naval exercises.

Washington and its allies fear Pyongyang could be preparing to conduct another nuclear missile test or launch more ballistic missiles.

China is increasingly worried the situation could spin out of control, leading to war and a chaotic collapse of its isolated and poverty-struck neighbour.

Xi told Trump that China resolutely opposes any actions that run counter to U.N. Security Council resolutions, a Chinese foreign ministry statement said.

China "hopes that all relevant sides exercise restraint, and avoid doing anything to worsen the tense situation on the peninsula", the statement paraphrased Xi as saying.

The nuclear issue can only be resolved quickly with all relevant countries pulling in the same direction, and China is willing to work with all parties, including the United States, to ensure peace, Xi said.

The issue has gained added urgency as North Korea prepares to celebrate the 85th anniversary of the foundation of its Korean People's Army on Tuesday. It has marked similar events in the past with nuclear tests or missile launches.

"REPEATED PROVOCATION"

Earlier, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe described his conversation with Trump as a "thorough exchange of views".

"We agreed to strongly demand that North Korea, which is repeating its provocation, show restraint," Abe told reporters.

"We will maintain close contact with the United States, keep a high level of vigilance and respond firmly," he said.

Abe also said he and Trump agreed that China, North Korea's sole major ally, should play a large role in dealing with Pyongyang.

A Japanese official said the phone call between Trump and Abe was not prompted by any specific change in the situation.

The U.S. government has not specified where the carrier strike group is, but U.S. Vice President Mike Pence said on Saturday it would arrive "within days".

South Korean Defence Ministry spokesman Moon Sang-gyun gave no further details about the South's plans, other than saying Seoul was holding discussions with the U.S. Navy.

"I can say the South Korean and U.S. militaries are fully ready for North Korea's nuclear test," Moon said.

South Korean and U.S. officials have feared for some time that North Korea could soon carry out its sixth nuclear test.

Satellite imagery analysed by 38 North, a Washington-based North Korea monitoring project, found some activity under way at North Korea's Punggye-ri nuclear test site last week.

However, the group said it was unclear whether the site was in a "tactical pause" before another test or was carrying out normal operations.

Adding to the heightened tensions, North Korea detained a U.S. citizen on Saturday as he attempted to leave the country.

(Reporting by Ben Blanchard and Ju-min Park; Additional reporting by Takashi Umekawa and Linda Sieg in TOKYO, James Pearson in SEOUL, Philip Wen in BEIJING, and Steve Holland in WASHINGTON; Editing by Paul Tait)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-04-24

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

USS Nimitz is in Pacific Ocean but scheduled to go to Bremerton, Washington for maintenance until 2019. USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76) is now in Yokosuka Japan and classified as " Selected Restricted Availability ". Carl Vinson is in the South China Sea.

USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71) is in Pacific Ocean, coordinates not available.

Edited by Banana7

43 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

China is hippocritic,  get out of the ocean in your SE and quit bothering your neighbours there.

China could also invite Fat Boy from MK and keep him, ending the problem that exists in

that country     Geezer

Actually, the growing tensions in the S.China Sea are as big a deal as the N.Korea problem, from my perspective.    Probably bigger, as a war between US and China could potentially have bigger ramifications than a US-N.Korea war.

I mentioned earlier that some of the hundreds of thousands of Americans in Asia could be in danger if a N.Korea / US conflict flared up.  That may be a bit of a stretch, but it's very real possibility if US / China flare up.   At any given time, there are perhaps less than 20 Americans in N.Korea.  Whereas there are tens of thousands of Americans in China.  It's entirely possible that, if hostilities broke out between US-China, a portion of Americans in China would be at grave risk.   

Then there are also cyber ramifications, which can spread at the speed of light, .....or at least at the speed of a million fingers tapping at keyboards.

On 4/24/2017 at 9:07 PM, boomerangutang said:

Hey, lets toss some firecrackers into a room full of sleeping dogs.  Nothing could go wrong, could it?

What incredible nonsense.  China squats on an entire ocean, suddenly claims it as its own, and sets about militarising it over the objections of half a dozen other countries "playing by the rules" for centuries, but when S. Korea chooses to host ships from allied nations in its own indisputably territorial waters THAT's a "provocation".    Honestly, the things that come out of the mouths of thug-sympathizing dim bulbs.

13 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

What incredible nonsense.  China squats on an entire ocean, suddenly claims it as its own, and sets about militarising it over the objections of half a dozen other countries "playing by the rules" for centuries, but when S. Korea chooses to host ships from allied nations in its own indisputably territorial waters THAT's a "provocation".    Honestly, the things that come out of the mouths of thug-sympathizing dim bulbs.

I see where you are going but Trump wants those very 'Thugs' to be the ones that help him and sort out Kim Jong. What have we come to when the USA wants China to broker a diplomatic solution on its behalf? It is pathetic and leaves the USA where it must tread as if on broken glass when down in the S China Sea. The whole notion that the USA is now relying on the Chinese President is staggering. Just what did China offer Trump in terms of business deals for Trump to make such a U-Turn on China? Hopefully whatever it is, Trump and his 3 little piggies cannot spend it when they are doing 50 years in a supermax.

On 4/24/2017 at 11:39 PM, boomerangutang said:

Actually, the growing tensions in the S.China Sea are as big a deal as the N.Korea problem, from my perspective.    Probably bigger, as a war between US and China could potentially have bigger ramifications than a US-N.Korea war.

I mentioned earlier that some of the hundreds of thousands of Americans in Asia could be in danger if a N.Korea / US conflict flared up.  That may be a bit of a stretch, but it's very real possibility if US / China flare up.   At any given time, there are perhaps less than 20 Americans in N.Korea.  Whereas there are tens of thousands of Americans in China.  It's entirely possible that, if hostilities broke out between US-China, a portion of Americans in China would be at grave risk.   

Then there are also cyber ramifications, which can spread at the speed of light, .....or at least at the speed of a million fingers tapping at keyboards.

Don't forget there are 100,000 or more chinese in USA who are spies, acting as students, or employed in every large or technology company in USA. They too can become pawns in the chess game.

On 4/24/2017 at 11:02 AM, Banana7 said:

USS Nimitz is in Pacific Ocean but scheduled to go to Bremerton, Washington for maintenance until 2019. USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76) is now in Yokosuka Japan and classified as " Selected Restricted Availability ". Carl Vinson is in the South China Sea.

USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71) is in Pacific Ocean, coordinates not available.

USS Nimitz (CVN-68) is in San Diego today. USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70) in the Philippine Sea. USS George H.W. Bush (CVN-77) is in the Persian Gulf. USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71) is in Pacific Ocean, between Hawaii and USA west coast. USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76) is now in Yokosuka Japan and classified as " Selected Restricted Availability " but full availability within 2 weeks.

22 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Don't forget there are 100,000 or more chinese in USA who are spies, acting as students, or employed in every large or technology company in USA. They too can become pawns in the chess game.

And they're all wearing little caps with the word SPY written on them.

It’s hard to imagine what a telephone conversation between President Xi Jinping of China and U.S. President Donald Trump would be like. But one actually took place this week, after Mr. Trump had tweeted, “North Korea is looking for trouble. If China decides to help, that would be great. If not, we will solve the problem without them!”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/editorials/china-speaks-at-last-on-north-korea/article34706759/

On 4/25/2017 at 11:24 PM, Andaman Al said:

I see where you are going but Trump wants those very 'Thugs' to be the ones that help him and sort out Kim Jong. What have we come to when the USA wants China to broker a diplomatic solution on its behalf? It is pathetic and leaves the USA where it must tread as if on broken glass when down in the S China Sea. The whole notion that the USA is now relying on the Chinese President is staggering. Just what did China offer Trump in terms of business deals for Trump to make such a U-Turn on China? Hopefully whatever it is, Trump and his 3 little piggies cannot spend it when they are doing 50 years in a supermax.

What's the problem?  If Trump can get China to do some of the dirty work in reigning on the N Korean psychopath, to whatever extent he can do it, why is that a bad thing?  He's made it pretty darn clear that if China doesn't do it, he will.  China gets to be the "adult supervision" if it's up to the job.  And turning back N Korean coal shipments and possibly pulling the plug on N Korean energy supplies suggest China is taking Trump much more seriously than they ever did his weak-kneed dithering predecessor.

If NK has a thermonuclear warhead (nuke) and the delivery method to send it to SK or Japan, then USA can arm SK with nukes with delivery capability to NK, to keep both sides equal militarily. Then the whole Korean peninsula will be nuclearized. If some lunatic presses the button, the whole peninsula is going to disappear and a catastrophic amount of radioactive elements will arrive in China.

USA really has 3 options: 1. Arm SK with nukes; 2. Wait for China to remove NK nuclear capability (and have USA/UN verify); 3. Wipe-out all NK delivery and nuke test and manufacturing capability. 

3. above will result in radioactive fallout in China.

The Chinese leadership have to be the most stupid people in the world if they don't do 2 above within the next 2-4 months.

USA's THAAD deployment in SK is just to show China that USA is serious, and it's just the first big move in this matter. It is also backup, in case option 3 doesn't get everything quickly and NK gets to launch a few towards SK.

Edited by Banana7

Here is a photo of US air launch cruise missile (ALCM) thermonuclear warhead w80-1 (5-150 kilotons), in the background on the right. The foreground is a mock-up of a w80-4 new generation for long range stand-off (LRSO) launch, to be deployed in the mid-2020s.

W80-4.jpg

8 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

What's the problem?  If Trump can get China to do some of the dirty work in reigning on the N Korean psychopath, to whatever extent he can do it, why is that a bad thing?  He's made it pretty darn clear that if China doesn't do it, he will.  China gets to be the "adult supervision" if it's up to the job.  And turning back N Korean coal shipments and possibly pulling the plug on N Korean energy supplies suggest China is taking Trump much more seriously than they ever did his weak-kneed dithering predecessor.

I was going to comment along these lines because Al's known disdain for Trump colored his characterization.  Not unusual for US to engage China as a broker for NK issues. 

No fan of Trump and don't trust China as far as I can throw them.   I don't think Trump is a warmonger though, but his wanna be tough guy bravado act precedes him, and I think he's the type who'll confront another punk and not shy away from a Mexican Standoff.  China would be right to be a little nervous.  NK is their adopted baby, and that baby has become a bit of a rebellious teenager who's no longer responding to the private phone calls from China saying, "OK, that was a good one, LOL, but that's enough for now, chill out."  Still not sure what to believe about all that though.

At any rate, I hope there's an open, direct ring down line between D.C. and China when the Vinson starts doing donuts and air ops out there..... with Japan and S. Korea.  Don't need any mistakes but end of the day, Kim Jong Un started this nonsense and how it ends is still in his hands.   He wants to step off the porch and play with the big boys?  Well, alright then, might be time to call him out on his BS.

Edited by 55Jay

Why did Trump summon the entire Senate to the White House to tell them things they already know about North Korea?

Finally, in a joint statement, Secretary of Defense James Mattis and Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said that Trump’s “approach aims to pressure North Korea into dismantling its nuclear, ballistic missile, and proliferation programs by tightening economic sanctions and pursuing diplomatic measures with our allies and regional partners,” and thus “to convince the regime to de-escalate and return to the path of dialogue.” They added, “We remain open to negotiations towards that goal. However, we remain prepared to defend ourselves and our allies.”

In other words, continue to do exactly as previous Presidents have done.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/war_stories/2017/04/why_did_trump_bring_the_entire_senate_to_the_white_house_to_tell_them_nothing.html

3 hours ago, 55Jay said:

I was going to comment along these lines because Al's known disdain for Trump colored his characterization.  Not unusual for US to engage China as a broker for NK issues. 

No fan of Trump and don't trust China as far as I can throw them.   I don't think Trump is a warmonger though, but his wanna be tough guy bravado act precedes him, and I think he's the type who'll confront another punk and not shy away from a Mexican Standoff.  China would be right to be a little nervous.  NK is their adopted baby, and that baby has become a bit of a rebellious teenager who's no longer responding to the private phone calls from China saying, "OK, that was a good one, LOL, but that's enough for now, chill out."  Still not sure what to believe about all that though.

At any rate, I hope there's an open, direct ring down line between D.C. and China when the Vinson starts doing donuts and air ops out there..... with Japan and S. Korea.  Don't need any mistakes but end of the day, Kim Jong Un started this nonsense and how it ends is still in his hands.   He wants to step off the porch and play with the big boys?  Well, alright then, might be time to call him out on his BS.

I think you mischaracterize the relationship between NK and China.  Forgetting the charming metaphors, NK is a near-failed state in danger of flooding China with economic refugees.  China has an active interest in NOT having this happen.  THAAD is in fact as much, or perhaps even more, an economic warfare tactic as it is an actual military provision because it devalues fat boy's ongoing expensive investments in nuclear and ballistic programs.  And it does so in a way that even deploying nuclear counter weapons to S Korea could not.  THIS (THAAD) may be the one thing that's finally moved China off top dead center in its dealings with fatboy, because they're aware that the devaluation effect could drive NK much closer to failed-state status if fatboy is allowed to just keep doubling down on his military programs.

27 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

I think you mischaracterize the relationship between NK and China.  Forgetting the charming metaphors, NK is a near-failed state in danger of flooding China with economic refugees.  China has an active interest in NOT having this happen.  THAAD is in fact as much, or perhaps even more, an economic warfare tactic as it is an actual military provision because it devalues fat boy's ongoing expensive investments in nuclear and ballistic programs.  And it does so in a way that even deploying nuclear counter weapons to S Korea could not.  THIS (THAAD) may be the one thing that's finally moved China off top dead center in its dealings with fatboy, because they're aware that the devaluation effect could drive NK much closer to failed-state status if fatboy is allowed to just keep doubling down on his military programs.

Thanks.  Agreed.  I do that because I've always thought China, following Russia, has or had, a lot of sway over NK, which is why they are seen as an important 3rd party broker.  But again, I get mixed messages on that, and how effective China actually is.  Following up on the coal sanction - believe it was ILostMyPassword who sent me off reading about that - I was a bit surprised to see KJU cop an attitude with them.  

But I think I'm pretty straight on the idea that Trump isn't the first US President/ Administration to confer with China about NK.  Not that I'm trying to defend Trump in anyway, but thought it was an unfair comment.

Edited by 55Jay