Tourist/Re-entry/ or what????

Hi all

I've been here in Thailand for 11 years on a non B extension associated with a work permit. I turned 65 in Feb and started planning for my retirement last Sept....mainly through selling some property back in OZ plus a few other means. Sadly even after 8 months of planning, getting documents authorized by the Australian Embassy etc etc, things have not gone smoothly. The buyers either fail to get finance or now just dragging the chain.

It looks like I have to return to Oz for a couple of weeks [maybe more] to sort things out.

The non-B extension expires on 23 May. If I leave this week, I could get a re-entry permit but if this drags on in Oz, I may not get back before 23 May so the extension will be expired.

My solicitor has been fantastic but she has warned me "The Titles Office and the banks can be slow and there are Easter, Anzac Day and May Day holidays so don't expect too much movement."

Besides, the money won't have been seeded long enough for a visa based on retirement. 8 months of planning seems to have gone down the chute.

So, what would be the best option here?

Thanks for your help.

Even if you got a re-entry permit it probably would not be much help since you may not the have the money in the bank long enough here to change to an extension based upon retirement.

If you have the financial proof getting the OA long stay visa at the embassy or the consulate in Sydney might be a good option.

If not getting a single entry tourist visa would be a good option. Then when you have the money in the bank here you could do a change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration. Then apply for the extension based upon retirement during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That also requires financial proof. 

If he can get it then that might be an option.

Ubonjoe, would I be able to apply for a METV tourist visa and sort out the visa based on retirement when I get back here. The OA requires a police clearance which is more time and money in Oz

13 minutes ago, newatthis said:

Ubonjoe, would I be able to apply for a METV tourist visa and sort out the visa based on retirement when I get back here. The OA requires a police clearance which is more time and money in Oz

Police clearance can be done online.

I got mine back in 5 days.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, newatthis said:

A single entry tourist visa would be enough. It would allow a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days.

As soon as you have the 800k baht in the bank you could apply for the change of visa status to get non immigrant visa entry.. The money only has to be in the bank on the date you apply for the visa. You could apply for the visa at any time up to the last 15 days of the 60 entry or the 30 day extension. The visa would give you a 90 day entry that would allow plenty of time for the money to be in the bank 60 day on the date you apply for the extension of stay.

4 minutes ago, rhodie said:

How do you obtain the medical?

Go to your local GP with the downloaded form.

I've done three OAs and no tests, x-rays required - visual examination only.

Then to a JP for free notarisation when you've got your application completed and mail certified to Canberra.

A bit of running around but the result is two years without Immi hassles - just 90 day reports.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Evilbaz said:

Then to a JP for free notarisation when you've got your application completed and mail certified to Canberra.

A bit of running around but the result is two years without Immi hassles - just 90 day reports.

Thanks mate. Here on a TV. Heading back in June so I will do the police clearance online before I leave and the medical when I get back. Glad it seems that easy.

• Like 1

It seems to me, the quickest and easiest is, as soon as you have the money or money/income combination totaling 800K - with the money in any bank anywhere (not yet in Thailand), you could apply for a single-entry Non-O in Australia.  This visa is easier to obtain, with fewer requirements than the  Non-OA. 

Then, when you get here, you get 90-days permitted stay upon entry, which is more than enough for seasoning 60-days for an initial retirement-based 1-year extension.  A Tourist-Visa plus extension is also 90-days, but arriving with a Non-O saves having to do the extra step of "conversion" of a Tourist Visa to a Non-O in Bangkok, which must otherwise happen before you can apply for the 1-year extension.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, newatthis said:

Just a follow-up. Do I need to cancel my work permit before I fly out? I assume my Non B extension will be cancelled as soon as I fly.

Sorry for not asking sooner. Too many things on my mind!!!!

No need to cancel the work permit before leaving. The extension will become invalid as soon as your leave the country.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-4-25 at 10:36 AM, Evilbaz said:

Baz, just to be sure, which police clearance do I do? I am a NSW resident. Do I do a police check with them(NSW State police), or do I do the one with the AFP? Not clear to me which one is required. Maybe both acceptable. Thanks.

17 hours ago, rhodie said:

Baz, just to be sure, which police clearance do I do? I am a NSW resident. Do I do a police check with them(NSW State police), or do I do the one with the AFP? Not clear to me which one is required. Maybe both acceptable. Thanks.

Just the AFP report - covers all States and can be done online.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2017-5-8 at 0:41 PM, Evilbaz said:

Just the AFP report - covers all States and can be done online.

Got confirmation after 1 day that AFP report was in the post. Question on money seeding. Does my account have to have the 800,000 equivalent for the full 3 months? Have had plenty in the account since 13th March. Do I have to wait until 13th June to apply? 

Want to head back before then if possible.

2 hours ago, rhodie said:

Got confirmation after 1 day that AFP report was in the post. Question on money seeding. Does my account have to have the 800,000 equivalent for the full 3 months? Have had plenty in the account since 13th March. Do I have to wait until 13th June to apply? 

Want to head back before then if possible.

To apply for a OA long stay visa there is no requirement for the money to be in the bank for any amount of time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

To apply for a OA long stay visa there is no requirement for the money to be in the bank for any amount of time.

Thanks ubonjoe. Great news.

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Has this changed Joe ?---or was it always like this and just Udon is out of line....their explanation has always been, that this stops people moving the money around.....ie...I lend it to a friend for 3 weeks ---he gets visa gives it back,

It's always been easy to show money comes from overseas, I know opps...have been told of someone ----who just brought a condo---changed money at super rich took American money back to his bank deposited it--in his book the bank puts foreign transaction--because that's what it is.

Edited by oxo1947
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

Has this changed Joe ?---or was it always like this and just Udon is out of line....their explanation has always been, that this stops people moving the money around.....ie...I lend it to a friend for 3 weeks ---he gets visa gives it back,

It's always been easy to show money comes from overseas, I know opps...have been told of someone ----who just brought a condo---changed money at super rich took American money back to his bank deposited it--in his book the bank puts foreign transaction--because that's what it is.

You are confusing an extension of stay from immigration and a OA visa obtained at an embassy or consulate.

For an extension the money must be in the bank for 60 days or 3 months to apply.

Hopefully the last question. :) The checklist for the O-A visa asks for a completed "PERSONAL DATA FORM". (Can download a FORM from our website)

I can't find this form referenced in the list of forms on the website. Is this form still required?

@ubonjoe @Evilbaz Thanks for the help so far.

49 minutes ago, rhodie said:

Hopefully the last question. :) The checklist for the O-A visa asks for a completed "PERSONAL DATA FORM". (Can download a FORM from our website)

I can't find this form referenced in the list of forms on the website. Is this form still required?

@ubonjoe @Evilbaz Thanks for the help so far.

Ubonjoe posted this on another topic:

http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/Home/DownloadForm/7683353351

• Like 1