BMA to reward for reporting traffic violations

webfact

BMA to reward for reporting traffic violations

269_Clip.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) will announce rewards to anyone sending pictures or videos of traffic violations next month in its efforts to encourage the general public to participate in its better traffic management.

They will be given rewards amounted to half of the maximum fine of 5,000 baht for traffic violations such as parking of cars or riding of motorcycles on road pavement.

BMA deputy governor Pol Lt Gen Amnuay Nimmano said relevant authorities are now in the process of considering amounts of fines of each traffic offences stated in Article 48 of the 1992 City Cleaning and Ordering Act so as  to offer as reward for such reporting.

They will be given half of the amount of fine which carries maximum fine of 5,000 baht for parking and riding on pavement offence, he said.

He said the reward could be ready for practice within the next few weeks or early next month.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bma-reward-reporting-traffic-violations/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-04-25

I can see several problems with such initiative, first, who was the rider/driver?

the accuracy of the device that take the picture as far as date/time stamps,

also, dose the reporting party knows the subject of the reporting, if so, why

and who? can the act stand a challenge in court? and few more....

oh my! i may well be a millionaire within 3 months just by doing this! then again, i may get in trouble for not having the proper work permit from doing the BIB's job. worse, i may get charged with defamation for humiliating them.

BMA really not in charge of traffic offences. Always amazes me when BMA officers on lower Sukhumvit gots some foreigners and find them 2000 Baht for littering a cigarette on the road but next to it are the Thai's who do excactly the same but dont get find at all.

4 hours ago, irwinfc said:

oh my! i may well be a millionaire within 3 months just by doing this! then again, i may get in trouble for not having the proper work permit from doing the BIB's job. worse, i may get charged with defamation for humiliating them.

My advise sit on the sidelines and watch this play out. Good for a laugh. Playing Keystone Kops is not my bag and I think your opening a whole can of worms if you participate. 

Bad idea. In a country where face is valued the most, I'm pretty sure that we'll assist in situations where Somchai is riding his bike on the footpath, someone takes a video, then Somchai stops and roughs the guy up.

As my parents always said, "you never know who you are messing with".

On 4/26/2017 at 8:36 AM, wxpwzrd said:

Also, remember, this is two-price-Thailand. Farang (likely) not eligible

Will police be happy about this new arrangement?  How will police react when they learn their opportunities for bribes to forget "bookings" for minor traffic offences drop because so many "volunteer"police are initiating charges and offenders don't get a chance to hand over B100 notes. Or do Police get their bite at the cherry when they seek out offenders when they are assigned to deliver BMA-initiated summonses (lose the paperwork, offender can't be found, etc)?  If the procedure doesn't  hamper police earnings, it means the net result of the new campaign won't have much impact on reducing offending, but will expand opportunities for more corruption.

I laughed out load when I read the headline.  A couple of minutes later this a joke, right?  Interfering with a cops rice bowl is a serious matter.  This will go nowhere very quickly.

Archived