Slightly unusual extension problem-help needed

My extension for 12 months is up for renewal on July 18th.

Over the last few years and even up to the present day I have always had at least 8-10 Million in Thai accounts be it fixed, savings or shares. Recently, with the lousy rates in fixed deposits I have been using the shares for 3 or 6 months.( I also, added my partner of 20 plus years name to the book,) to the shares account, just in case the worst happened.

All great so far. But, I have just requested last week my bank to do 3 months of shares again which will not expire until the end of July.

The book will show two names with 8-9 million baht in a shares book. I have a separate book with 400K in it in my name for day to day.

Will this satisfy them on July 18th with a back up letter from the Krung Thai bank? or have I now got a problem?

I do enjoy a good relationship with my immigration office as a rule. Could I explain this away with back up letters and documents from the bank to a satisfactory conclusion? OR am I starting the whole extension of stay process again?

I feel a fool and it's the first time I have allowed the lines to get blurred. I always keep the 800K separate but did this without thinking.

Edited by Scouse123

You do not have any income from England?? If you have, you can get a letter of confirmation of income from your embassy,, and as you are having 400k in the bank already,, you need another 400k (33.500 baht/month) in income to cover the whole extension of stay based on Retirement.

So if you can´t present an own bank-account with 800.000K,, or you do not have any income,,, I guess you have to buy a new Non immigrfant O-VISA in England. Prepare a bank-account in Thailand in your name with 800.000 baht in it,,, and during the last 30 days of your entry in that Non Immigrant O-VISA,,, you go to immigration and apply for a new extension of stay...

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo
  • Like 1

Giegolo,

You have been very helpful. Thank you. If I am pushed on time in UK, I can come in on a 30 visa exempt stamp and then request a Non O visa in Laos,yes?

That would be more useful to me

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Giegolo,

You have been very helpful. Thank you. If I am pushed on time in UK, I can come in on a 30 visa exempt stamp and then request a Non O visa in Laos,yes?

Yes you can come in into Thailand on a 30 day excempt. At the end of these 30 days you can go to your Immigration and ask for a Non immigrant O-VISA.. they allow that if your purpose/end goal is to obtain an extension of stay... If doing that you do not even have to go out of Thailand....

But in worst case scenario you can go to Vinentienne or Savannaketh in Laos and obtain a Non immigrant O there...

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Over the last few years and even up to the present day I have always had at least 8-10 Million in Thai accounts be it fixed, savings or shares. Recently, with the lousy rates in fixed deposits I have been using the shares for 3 or 6 months.( I also, added my partner of 20 plus years name to the book,) to the shares account, just in case the worst happened.

What do using mean by using shares. That sounds like some kind of investment account that immigration may not accept. The money has to be in an account that allows the funds to be withdrawn without delay or penalty other that loss of interest.

Immigration may allow the joint account since the funds are over 1.6 million baht (800k X 2).

Will the money be in the account for 3 months on the date you apply for the extension?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

What do using mean by using shares. That sounds like some kind of investment account that immigration may not accept. The money has to be in an account that allows the funds to be withdrawn without delay or penalty other that loss of interest.

Immigration may allow the joint account since the funds are over 1.6 million baht (800k X 2).

Will the money be in the account for 3 months on the date you apply for the extension?

Well, Ubon, my immigration office insisted that my 400,000 was to be in a fixed deposit so that I couldn't access it easily. Seems totally illogical to me but there you have it. A different office, a different officer.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, maoro2013 said:

Well, Ubon, my immigration office insisted that my 400,000 was to be in a fixed deposit so that I couldn't access it easily. Seems totally illogical to me but there you have it. A different office, a different officer.

A fixed term account will be accepted if it the funds can be withdrawn without delay or penalty other loss of interest. Perhaps immigration was concerned you could unintentionally lower you balance below 400k with a standard savings account with a ATM/Debit and/or internet banking.

My question was about what the shares account was. There are some accounts that nothing can be withdrawn until the end of term the account is for.

Ubonjoe,

I will contact them today.

My date of extension is July 18th. The cash due back from my shares account of 9 million will be back in my savings account by July 28th. In the interim I also have 400,000 baht in a savings account. It would be a matter of 10 days difference for the shares to be back in savings account.

11 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Giegolo,

Technically, to qualify for a 30-day visa-exempt entry you need a confirmed ticket out of Thailand within 30 days of arrival, and some (many?  most?) airlines won't permit you to board a flight to Thailand without that ticket out of Thailand.  Not sure how firm/thorough the carriers from the UK are, but US carriers frequently check.  Just in case, you might want to buy an inexpensive, but refundable, ticket out of Thailand during the 30-day period.

Also, once you manage to arrive in Thailand on a 30-day visa-exempt stamp, you can convert that to a special Non-Immigrant O visa within Thailand (i.e. without a run to Laos), but depending where you are, it might require two trips to Bangkok to do it.  Depending where you are, it might be easier to just go to Laos, but wanted to make sure you knew you had another option.

11 hours ago, glegolo said:

Yes you can come in into Thailand on a 30 day excempt. At the end of these 30 days you can go to your Immigration and ask for a Non immigrant O-VISA.. they allow that if your purpose/end goal is to obtain an extension of stay... If doing that you do not even have to go out of Thailand....

But in worst case scenario you can go to Vinentienne or Savannaketh in Laos and obtain a Non immigrant O there...

Glegolo

At Chiang Mai Immigration they insisted that I had to apply for the 90 day O visa within 7 days of my visa-exempt entry when I applied 15 days after entry. This necessitated an entirely pointless journey to Myanmar for a ten minute visit and new visa exempt stamp. No one could tell me why they had the 7 day rule. TIT.

14 hours ago, glegolo said:

You do not have any income from England?? If you have, you can get a letter of confirmation of income from your embassy,, and as you are having 400k in the bank already,, you need another 400k (33.500 baht/month) in income to cover the whole extension of stay based on Retirement.

So if you can´t present an own bank-account with 800.000K,, or you do not have any income,,, I guess you have to buy a new Non immigrfant O-VISA in England. Prepare a bank-account in Thailand in your name with 800.000 baht in it,,, and during the last 30 days of your entry in that Non Immigrant O-VISA,,, you go to immigration and apply for a new extension of stay...

Glegolo

Or you could just fly in and start the whole process here,making sure you have the required amount seasoned.First of all,have a chat with your Immi officer,they have been known to bend the rules,at least you will know where you stand.

The OP said "MY PARTNER OF TWENTY YEARS". I was under the impression defacto relationships are not recognised in Thailand, hence he cannot get the 400,000 baht concession. Must come up with 800,000 baht on deposit or 65000 baht monthly income. Am I correct in this?

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Ubonjoe,

Yes, they are Krung Thai bank shares that we bought because there is no tax on the interest and it pays a better rate than the fixed deposit.Sorry, actually they called it a fund deal and the book says fund book. Only renewed them a couple of days ago for another three months, and I don't know why but I allowed them to be put in joint names as opposed to my single name.

Well actually, it was just in case of some unforeseen mishap or accident. I wish I hadn't now. But to answer the question, there is well in excess of 1.6 million baht.

Edited by Scouse123

9 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Yes, they are Krung Thai bank shares that we bought because there is no tax on the interest and it pays a better rate than the fixed deposit.Sorry, actually they called it a fund deal and the book says fund book.

I am almost certain immigration will not accept the shares as proof for the 800k baht in the bank. Best you check with immigration ASAP to find out if they will accept them.

"Just in case, you might want to buy an inexpensive, but refundable, ticket out of Thailand during the 30-day period."

An airline ticket from Phuket to KL can usually be purchased for a low throwaway price.

On 4/25/2017 at 9:17 PM, Scouse123 said:

Giegolo,

If you can get the Non O in the UK it may be the better option. You can do it by post and they are quite quick as you have to use a special delivery envelope, normally 3/4 days.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

If you can get the Non O in the UK it may be the better option. You can do it by post and they are quite quick as you have to use a special delivery envelope, normally 3/4 days.

This sounds like the easiest option, no?:  obtaining a Non-Immigrant O visa in the UK, if you can.  You arrive in Thailand as normal, get stamped for a 90-day stay, and without leaving the country or going to Bangkok, you apply for a one-year extension in the last 30 of the 90 days, giving you time to get the money in the Thai bank properly for 60-day seasoning.

(This is assuming the UK does still issue Non-Immigrant O visas to folks over 50.  I don't keep track of which consulates/embassies around the world do/don't.)

16 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

This sounds like the easiest option, no?:  obtaining a Non-Immigrant O visa in the UK, if you can.  You arrive in Thailand as normal, get stamped for a 90-day stay, and without leaving the country or going to Bangkok, you apply for a one-year extension in the last 30 of the 90 days, giving you time to get the money in the Thai bank properly for 60-day seasoning.

(This is assuming the UK does still issue Non-Immigrant O visas to folks over 50.  I don't keep track of which consulates/embassies around the world do/don't.)

So you just copy post number 4 then do you??

Glegolo

I am not going to renew my extension before I go to the UK in July, it expires 3 days after I go and I want to move the renewal from the summer months to the autumn. I plan to get a single entry Non O to come back to Thailand.

What I am not sure about is if you finish one 12 month extension and then do another 12 month extension shortly after is the money in the bank for 60 or 90 days. I am assuming its 90 days but would like clarification as I have seen 60 days in a previous post.

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

I am not going to renew my extension before I go to the UK in July, it expires 3 days after I go and I want to move the renewal from the summer months to the autumn. I plan to get a single entry Non O to come back to Thailand.

What I am not sure about is if you finish one 12 month extension and then do another 12 month extension shortly after is the money in the bank for 60 or 90 days. I am assuming its 90 days but would like clarification as I have seen 60 days in a previous post.

Are you 65 or over and getting a state pension? If not you will not get a non-o visa in the UK unless married to a Thai.

It will be considered your first extension since it will be for the 90 day entry from a non-o visa. The money will only need to be in the bank for 60 days.

1 hour ago, glegolo said:

So you just copy post number 4 then do you??

Glegolo

Sorry for not remembering & acknowledging your post.  You win the internet.   You were first!  :thumbsup:

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Are you 65 or over and getting a state pension? If not you will not get a non-o visa in the UK unless married to a Thai.

It will be considered your first extension since it will be for the 90 day entry from a non-o visa. The money will only need to be in the bank for 60 days.

Thanks for the clarity on the funding.

I am well aware of the visa regulations, well over 65 and married to a Thai for nearly 10 years.

OK Guys,

Immigration at Sakon Nakhon confirmed they cannot accept a fund book in any shape or form. A fixed deposit or savings book is all that they want to see.

This means I leave June 12th and return on June 23rd. My 12 month extension expires July 18th.

The first chance I have to get my funds is end of July. They pay me back on July 28th and a couple of days messing around after that to get it into savings account. So, I will have total funds back in say, July 31st at the latest.

I am 55 years old, unmarried to my Thai partner.

I do have other income monthly in excess of 65,000 baht coming in but it is not a pension,it is bank interest on other accounts which I can show to the Embassy. I will look online at what the British Embassy require to give me a letter for the 65,000 a month.

The whole idea I believe of the 800K or 65K a month, is that you can show funds and money to sustain you for 12 months at a time. The daft thing is I have the 400K and within two weeks of my extension finishing the 9 million would be back in a savings account in Thailand. So, it's obvious to a blind man I support myself.

How long will the money need to be in the bank for a new 12 month extension please, 60 or 90 days?

Other than that, I am sunk and I must apply for a new visa and start from square 1. It is a good few years since I have done this route. I have not got the time to go running around in the UK to get a visa and am unsure as which visa I now need.

Do I come back under my 12 months extension which expires on July 18th or a 30 day stamp at entry and then seek a visa at Sakon Nakhon or Savarnakhet to sort this mess out???

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Scouse123

11 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

I do have other income monthly in excess of 65,000 baht coming in but it is not a pension,it is bank interest on other accounts which I can show to the Embassy. I will look online at what the British Embassy require to give me a letter for the 65,000 a month.

You income does not have to be from a pension. You can use the interest earned to meet the 65k baht requirement.

Info about getting the income letter by mail is here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-obtain-a-pensionincome-letter-for-thai-immigration

Ubonjoe,

I just read it online and that solves the problem. So I will just return as normal and do this by EMS with the British Embassy in 10 days. No need for visas or anything.

That is a relief and saves much messing around.